Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 11:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Toll on the Bangalore Int'l Airport road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
I believe GVK is associated with BIAL rather than GMR, Secondly i am against toll booth before the ramp, the solution given by me to levy 20 bucks to UDF will tax and save time for flyers, or it can be incorporated in parking fee. The idea is to ease out the waiting time and to control pollution and buring of precious fuel. This is based on my experience in Mumbai wherein 60 odd flyovers came up in mumbai and they resorted to collecting tax by adding surcharge to fuel, simple. The people who go to pick up will never pay up unless it is embedded to parking fees. Accounting matters i would rather leave it to their respective IT guys. No offence only defence.
I think the Toll is no way related to Airport. Its the NHAI's regular effort to charge toll on the NH.

But they have picked a strategic route so they can encash more

So, if you wanna charge the toll share in the parking, then all commuters [mainly the lorry & tempo traffics] go free. Which is against the whole funda of toll collection!
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 12:46   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think the Toll is no way related to Airport. Its the NHAI's regular effort to charge toll on the NH.

But they have picked a strategic route so they can encash more

So, if you wanna charge the toll share in the parking, then all commuters [mainly the lorry & tempo traffics] go free. Which is against the whole funda of toll collection!

I agree toll i not related to UDF or Parking fee, but ultimately it is the cash in the kitty for NHAI which is the key. They wanna tax the users or flyers by causing inconvinience is the issue i am referring to. If it is inevitable let us do it in an indirect manner. It was only out of the box thinking from my side to include the toll amount into UDF or parking fee. But seriously speaking can we Tbhians influence the govt thinking as a community ?
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:25   #63
BHPian

Quote:
I agree toll i not related to UDF or Parking fee, but ultimately it is the cash in the kitty for NHAI which is the key. They wanna tax the users or flyers by causing inconvinience is the issue i am referring to. If it is inevitable let us do it in an indirect manner. It was only out of the box thinking from my side to include the toll amount into UDF or parking fee. But seriously speaking can we Tbhians influence the govt thinking as a community ?
Who can influence the greedy govt? Only the IT crowd taking on the streets. VAT goes up, service tax goes up, road tax is highest, property stamp duty goes up, and now this. Does the road,water,electricity,public transport get better?
hemantbsutar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not all who goes to Airport park the car and pay. more than 50% is cabs, and droppings.

It wont make sense to do that.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 17:19   #65
Team-BHP Support

Was returning from the Airport last weekend in a Vajra.

All the booths at the Toll are manned now. There's even a small Green board mentioning the rates for the classes of vehicles (couldn't read it since the Volvo had an ad on it).

Though the toll was not collected, everything except it seemed in place.

Looks like we will have to pay toll afterall.
Old 1st September 2011, 23:29   #66
BHPian

This is what you called "organized crime"? You build an airport miles away from the city .. You pay huge amount of money to taxi/cabs for you to be dropped there.. Invariably there are restricted brands of taxis that can pick up/drop for airport.. Now, just before you get in/come out of the airport, they ask you to pay up or go out..
Old 1st September 2011, 23:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Was returning from the Airport last weekend in a Vajra.

All the booths at the Toll are manned now. There's even a small Green board mentioning the rates for the classes of vehicles (couldn't read it since the Volvo had an ad on it).

Though the toll was not collected, everything except it seemed in place.

Looks like we will have to pay toll afterall.
Its been manned since the strike happened. And yes, they do not collect the toll also.
I believe it will take sometime for them to start again. My guess is that they might start once the elevated expressway is ready.
Old 1st September 2011, 23:47   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Its been manned since the strike happened. And yes, they do not collect the toll also.
I believe it will take sometime for them to start again. My guess is that they might start once the elevated expressway is ready.
Yea, I know it has been manned since long. But now, it looked "professional"; all the booths had computers installed. It was all clean and tidy too.

Once the expressway starts - well, that should be at least a decade away then
Old 9th February 2012, 09:50   #69
Team-BHP Support

Finally, toll has been activated.

Toll collection starts tomorrow.

Read more here :

The Hindu : Cities / Bangalore : Toll collection on Bellary Road and airport route to begin tomorrow

From Friday, pay Rs 25 on return from BIA - The Times of India

Detailed fee structure is mentioned in the articles but here's an important excerpt :

Quote:
NHAI project director R K Gupta informed TOI on Tuesday that the rule has been modified for airport travellers. "We will not force commuters to pay while going towards the airport; they can pay on their return to the city. This will cost them Rs 25 instead of Rs 40 ."

There will be one eight-lane toll plaza at Sadahalli, 500 meters before the road forks towards BIA and Devanahalli ; one seven-lane toll booth under the airport flyover; and a one-lane toll plaza 2 km away only for heavy trucks and carriage vehicles moving to and from Hyderabad.
Old 9th February 2012, 09:58   #70
Team-BHP Support

And from now on expect a huge traffic line up. And what about cars coming from Hyderabad side?
Old 9th February 2012, 10:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Rudra forget cars coming from Hyd' side, think about the locals who use this route every single day. I mean so many villages on the other side and people make trips to the city to sell their produce, be it vegetables or poultry products. This on a daily basis.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:06   #72
BHPian

Quote:
"We will not force commuters to pay while going towards the airport; they can pay on their return to the city.
This is just absurd. If so, why couldnt they have the toll after the airport?

How can they activate the toll when there is no service road (non-toll) option?
Old 9th February 2012, 11:24   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
This is just absurd. If so, why couldnt they have the toll after the airport?
Totally agree. Pay 25/- from airport exit point in the case of just dropping passengers. Add that 25/- with parking fee if one wants to park.

Such a half baked disastrous idea!
Quote:
Rudra forget cars coming from Hyd' side, think about the locals who use this route every single day.
Riju, I meant that too. That's why I said..
Quote:
And from now on expect a huge traffic line up.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:37   #74
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm. Call me stingy or clever but now many cars with drivers will just wait before the toll booth near that signal opposite the petrol bunk.

You can take a Volvo bus get off after the toll booth near the BP bunk and have your car waiting there. No toll no parking.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:47   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Hmmm. Call me stingy or clever but now many cars with drivers will just wait before the toll booth near that signal opposite the petrol bunk.

You can take a Volvo bus get off after the toll booth near the BP bunk and have your car waiting there. No toll no parking.
Well, convenience is the reason people have someone pick them up.

I doubt anyone would go through the hassle of waiting for a bus, boarding it with all the luggage, getting down in the middle of the road and then finding the waiting car just to save Rs. 40. Esp. when it is sunny/raining or there are kids/elderly people travelling along.

If they indeed worried about toll, they'd have taken the Volvo in the first place! Would save petrol and toll.

As it is with every other toll/tax, everyone is just going to simply accept it.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th February 2012 at 12:49.

Most Viewed