Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2005, 22:19   #1
BHPian

Views on Drunken Driving

I have seen a lot of good posts on this forum about bad driving, dangerous driving, underaged drving, etc. Somehow, I think, we have managed to keep drunken driving out of the picture.

I think we, Indians motorists in general, tend to take drunken driving rather lightly.

How many of us have driven back home sloshed? I know I have, several times, and in retrospect am ashamed of it. Why couldnt I take a citi taxi back home? I dont know.

What is the definition of drunken driving? Anything more than 2 pegs over 2 hours? dozing off at the wheel? Lets not hide behind excuses like 'I have good drinking capacity and my thinking and responses are not affectd by a 4 pegs of whiskey'

views/ opinions on drunken driving anyone?

Last edited by rahulmd : 15th December 2005 at 22:23.
Old 15th December 2005, 22:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

TeamBHP does not endorse or support drunken driving. :-)
Old 15th December 2005, 22:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

i barely drink and when i do i make sure im not driving home.i either go in my friends car or catch a cab.i try to stop most of my friends who drive after a couple of drinks but some of them are really stuubborn and do it just to showoff.many of them have learnt their lessons.

Rev
Old 16th December 2005, 00:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have never driven a car more than 1 km after more than 2 beers, that too over 2 hours or so. I think it's irresponsible, and drunk drivers deserve all the horrible accidents they end up in.
Old 16th December 2005, 00:33   #5

Even i agree wid u'll guys. but driving after consuming 1 or 2 pegs of alcohol is fine & there is no threat by cops also. But after consuming much alcohol, hiring a cab is a better option.
Old 16th December 2005, 03:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
TeamBHP does not endorse or support drunken driving. :-)
ofcourse no one publicly supports or endorses drunken driving do they? ;-)

but how many of us have "indulged" in it?
Old 16th December 2005, 03:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmd
but how many of us have "indulged" in it?
Guilty, as charged.

I do take a cab when I'm too drunk, but then the decision as to how drunk is too drunk is also taken by the drunk - which is not what you might call a very ideal state of affairs.

Besides I love my vehicles too much to abandon them after I've had a good time - sorta makes you guilty. I'd much rather 'nurse' the vehicle gently home, though on one occassion I drove despite being totally sozzled to drop two equally drunk Irishmen back to their hotels at about 3.30 am - cabs arent available at that time in KL.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th December 2005 at 03:31.
Old 16th December 2005, 05:21   #8
BHPian

Hey Steer, first of all hats off to you for owning up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Besides I love my vehicles too much to abandon them after I've had a good time - sorta makes you guilty.
I think thats the main reason why petrol heads drive back home after 1 too many drinks. Plus the hassle of going out again the next morning, in a cab/ auto, to pick up the car!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I do take a cab when I'm too drunk, but then the decision as to how drunk is too drunk is also taken by the drunk - which is not what you might call a very ideal state of affairs.
once upon a time i used to take autos to drinking parties where I knew i would get smashed, but then i started loving my car more than my life!!!

incidentally, the last drive, of which I have no clear memory, was after meeting few fellow BHPians in Bangalore.

we, including me, have strong views about cars and driving and everything else. but drunken driving is not considered irresponsible behaviour :-)

put a bunch of petrol heads together in the evening, Im sure we will find the nearest bar and talk about cars and responsibile driving till morning and drive back home totally drunk and feeling responsible!!!

how about "no more drunken driving" for a new years resolution? ;-)
Old 16th December 2005, 15:04   #9
BHPian

I am guilty of doing drunken driving for the past 4 years now..

I know it is ir-responsible, unsafe & stupid to say the least..

But, to be fair, it is fun as well...umm at 2 in the night to come back home or drop back friends..

Just that my usually rational mind isnt able to take control in this matter specifically..

& next day morning i do feel sorry...but I end up doing it again !
Old 17th December 2005, 10:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
drunk drivers deserve all the horrible accidents they end up in.
No doubt.. However, drunk drivers usually cause much more damage to others than to others..

Am also guilty of this.. Blr is hardly a place where you can leave a car parked overnight on the streets.. Plus the impossibility of finding autos/cabs late at night..
However, I do try to follow a few ground rules if I am driving:

- hard drinks - never more than 2 (over 2 hours) if I am driving
- No 'bottoms-up' or drinking competitions
- Absolutely maintain a limit of 60 KMPH
- Give way to everybody else on the road, especially the other drunks & crazies
Old 20th December 2005, 13:07   #11
BANNED

Call me what you will, but I think people who drink and drive should be first beaten up good by a trained fighter and then shot dead at point blank range. When one uses the road, one has to consider that there are many lives at stake and not only his/ her own. Driving under the influence especially on Indian roads (where everyone uses the road like as if they were stoned even when they are sober) is proof that some people really have their heads stuck way up their rear ends. Cartoons who say I've had just a few drinks and it's okay for me to drive annoy me even more... Can one say oh I've just raped and murdered two females so it's no big deal? DUH!

Driving under the influence can make you kill someone's father, mother, sister, brother, child, friend etc. and in some cases the only bread winner in a family, but no, one evening of drinking and choosing to drive is so cool an option to so many rather than hiring a call taxi, asking a friend to drop you etc... That too in todays age where one can even hire a freakin helicopter to go places, yeah?

What about your family if you end up being the one killed and even worse, what if you lose a leg or something in an accident, but don't die? If you're alive with your legs or hands missing, rest assured, that in 7 out of 10 cases even your lover/ life partner will stray from you... Don't hate me because I said he or she might stray, hate yourself for having driven under the influence and this world for being the way it is... I'm just an observer.

Bottomline: First beat me up good and then shoot me if I drink and drive too.
MrBoombastic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2005, 13:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
Call me what you will, but I think people who drink and drive should be first beaten up good by a trained fighter and then shot dead at point blank range. When one uses the road, one has to consider that there are many lives at stake and not only his/ her own. Driving under the influence especially on Indian roads (where everyone uses the road like as if they were stoned even when they are sober) is proof that some people really have their heads stuck way up their rear ends. Cartoons who say I've had just a few drinks and it's okay for me to drive annoy me even more... Can one say oh I've just raped and murdered two females so it's no big deal? DUH!

Driving under the influence can make you kill someone's father, mother, sister, brother, child, friend etc. and in some cases the only bread winner in a family, but no, one evening of drinking and choosing to drive is so cool an option to so many rather than hiring a call taxi, asking a friend to drop you etc... That too in todays age where one can even hire a freakin helicopter to go places, yeah?

What about your family if you end up being the one killed and even worse, what if you lose a leg or something in an accident, but don't die? If you're alive with your legs or hands missing, rest assured, that in 7 out of 10 cases even your lover/ life partner will stray from you... Don't hate me because I said he or she might stray, hate yourself for having driven under the influence and this world for being the way it is... I'm just an observer.

Bottomline: First beat me up good and then shoot me if I drink and drive too.

however harsh that sounds it makes a lot of sence.i agree with him totally.(not the killing part though)

Rev
Old 20th December 2005, 13:30   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99octaneblaster
I Love Drunken Driving ....kill Everyone I Say
Excellent idea! Why don't we start your killing ways with you? Next time you hear of a party where people are gonna get smashed outta their skulls and drive, make sure you lie down at the exit gate. I'm so sure that doing so will not only make your number go up in your "So many killed list", but also put an end to your misery (psychiatrically speaking, misery would be the right word).
Old 20th December 2005, 13:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
Excellent idea! Why don't we start your killing ways with you? Next time you hear of a party where people are gonna get smashed outta their skulls and drive, make sure you lie down at the exit gate. I'm so sure that doing so will not only make your number go up in your "So many killed list", but also put an end to your misery (psychiatrically speaking, misery would be the right word).
rightly said boom. as u said in your earlier post, this person needs to get the feel of being an accident first. well, i am not sure even then his misery will end.

I on the road make sure i not always follow the rules, but also stay away from psychos. dead men tell no tales, right?
Old 20th December 2005, 13:46   #15
BHPian

It is incomprehensible how so many induhviduals have such a callous attitude towards life. Drink driving is a bane in civilized society and there should be serious punishment in store for people indulging in it.

In the West, people are generally advised to follow the designated driver concept. And yet, many people die in DUI related accidents. Its not fail-safe, but its a try.

I feel this is the only logical and practical way out of the situation: Decide on a designated driver for the evening. The designated driver will abstain from drinking throughout the evening and later drop people off at their respective places. The next time there's a party, somebody else assumes the role of designated driver; so everyone can share in the fun.

Most Viewed