Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2010, 18:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

This is what happens,when trucks Race on Streets.

22nd Nov-9:30PM.
Airport Traffic lights-Chandigarh.
Beatles Playing,I am waiting for lights to turn green,and I call up abhishek(forum-ID-Abhibh),that i will be reaching his place in 15 minutes(Little did i know,as to what was in store for me in the next 3-4 minutes).
A few Ultra Cement Dumpers(Probably,4-5 of them and may be coming back after finishing or going to site for work),were along me at the traffic lights,and i was waiting in the extreme left lane.
Lights turn green,and i roll off,i had hardly reached 40km\hr when i see a big thing closing in and suddenly.
WHAAAAMMM,WHOOOOOOSSSSSSSSHHHH,THAAAAAAAAAAA,CRACC CCKKKKKKKK and i am still on the move,but i have no control on the Car,i hold the steering tight,and meanwhile,the Light and Wiper control stalks have gone haywire,wipers are running,lights blinking,and i am facing the traffic,due to the impact.
Still shocked i come out,and see one of those Dumper drivers pointing ahead towards something.
I see one of those trucks ripping ahead,i check my car,thankfully,i can still use it,i turn around and chase that truck(Since there were 4-5 of similar trucks,i was unable to note down the number-however i noted down a number of one of them.).
While chasing,i didnt realise that the bumper is dragging like a tail.
And i come across another traffic lights,and the moron driver is nowhere to be seen.
I stop one of the other Ultra Cement truck drivers,and as expected,he has no clue,and inspite of my efforts to stop him,he drives off(My car was standing in the middle of the road,so had to take care of it also).

I called up Abhishek for help,and he called the cops.
and what happened next is not really worth mentioning,as nothing can be expected out of these Cops
Here are the Pics.
The car is being worked upon,so attaching WIP pics too.
Attached Thumbnails
This is what happens,when trucks Race on Streets.-img_0126.jpg  

This is what happens,when trucks Race on Streets.-img_0127.jpg  

This is what happens,when trucks Race on Streets.-img_0128.jpg  

This is what happens,when trucks Race on Streets.-img_0137.jpg  

This is what happens,when trucks Race on Streets.-img_0138.jpg  

Old 26th November 2010, 19:03   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Breaks our hearts(our refers to anyone who's seen this car being babied for a while now) that something as horrific as this could happen to a 5 years car that still looks more pristine than a brand new car out of a showroom. That trucker may have his cojones chopped off someday. Hope the car turns out alright after repairs.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

That's really bad.Very very bad.I'm more concerned about the monoque being damaged and the quarter panel being welded from the rear pillar.Although this is the proper technique but at the back of my head i'm always concerned about the structural integrity of the car.

Hopefully the car will turn out back to its original state.Try and get hold of the driver of that truck.Maybe bring him over to the next tbhp chandigarh meet too.We'll have some nice fun there.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:17   #4
BHPian

Awww, it hurts to see your car but i am glad hear that u are doing fine. Did you manage to locate the truck driver yet ?

Truck drivers are really a menace across the country .
Old 26th November 2010, 19:18   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
That's really bad.Very very bad.I'm more concerned about the monoque being damaged and the quarter panel being welded from the rear pillar.Although this is the proper technique but at the back of my head i'm always concerned about the structural integrity of the car.

Hopefully the car will turn out back to its original state.Try and get hold of the driver of that truck.Maybe bring him over to the next tbhp chandigarh meet too.We'll have some nice fun there.
Even I was wondering about the quarter panel being welded in such a way and all. Any clue if this can affect the structural integrity of the car?
Old 26th November 2010, 19:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is actually the correct/standard procedure used at all workshops.Have seen hondas,toyotas being worked on similarly.
But a welded joint is a welded joint.
An Arc welding at the joind would make it weak.whereas a MIG/TIG welding should keep the joint as strong as the standard panel.

But as i said in the back of the head its always embedded that the monoque is now not a single piece item.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 26th November 2010 at 19:27.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
Even I was wondering about the quarter panel being welded in such a way and all. Any clue if this can affect the structural integrity of the car?
I was worried about this too.
But on questioning the experts at hyundai(Incidentally yesterday it was the Dealer's formal innaugration as well),so even had a word with expert from Hyundai,according to them,structure,would have been affected if the C pillar had got damaged,but it was not.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Ouch!

I know how you feel Akshay! I've borne the brunt of idiots behind the wheel too! And the worst part about this is that you had no control of the situation. If you had a hand in it, you could hold yourself responsible, but when something like this happens, you just don't know what to do!

This is what happened to my car!

Anyway, hope all's well with your car now! Time to catch the culprits!
Old 26th November 2010, 19:33   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I was worried about this too.
But on questioning the experts at hyundai(Incidentally yesterday it was the Dealer's formal innaugration as well),so even had a word with expert from Hyundai,according to them,structure,would have been affected if the C pillar had got damaged,but it was not.
Well, those guys swear by it, then that's cool. On the other hand, they should make the rear quarter panels changeable like the front quarter panels are. This way even if a panel is to be changed, such a question of structural integrity won't arise.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
Well, those guys swear by it, then that's cool. On the other hand, they should make the rear quarter panels changeable like the front quarter panels are. This way even if a panel is to be changed, such a question of structural integrity won't arise.
it is changeable.
But then roof would have to be ripped too,to mount it,which in turn will affect structural integration.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see what happened to a lovely car, I just love the colour of your car, they did not have Accent in this colour when I bought one a few years ago.
Hope the truck driver gets his due some day, also hope you were not injured and that your car comes back to the same pristine shape it was in.
Old 26th November 2010, 21:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Akshay - you've really got heart of steels!!! I simply cannot withstand reading that some moronic trucker did this to you & you let them all go!!!

If I were you, sorry to say, wouldn't even mind paying the cops to track down the guy who knocked, starting from the trucker whom you interacted at next signal.

Sorry Akshay, I simply cannot tolerate to see someone destroying other's property, especially when they're beloved ones!!!
Old 26th November 2010, 22:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

When you see something like this there are only two things which come in my mind.

1. This is not a fair world.
2. These things happen.

I know it will be bitter for you to read these lines but believe me brother. These two pretty well sum up things around us.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2010, 22:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Buddy my heart goes out for you,my civic had an accident in the same way

few months back.The entire RHS rear panel was replaced.Will post the pics

tom.:*(
Old 27th November 2010, 00:16   #15
BHPian

I know its sad and the heart pains when you see your baby like this . A similar incident had happened with me when my car was just four months old , just done 1000 Kms and it was my birthday . On the way to my celebration dinner my car was bumped from the front , back and left . It was horrible . But after a month at the station it came out brand new .. yummy as ever and I still love her as much . Am sure you'll be happy when shez back and you'll soon forget all this .

The best part is we survived , few people dont live to tell their stories. So smile and wait eagerly till she comes back and greet her as if you're a 4 year old boy opening his first birthday present , 1 16 year old boy with his first bike or a 20 year old with his first car and am sure she wont disappoint you .

Take care buddy!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed