Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 15:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Bikers harassing vehicles on highway

I carry a Machete ostensibly for breaking the wind shield when needed and a steel steering lock of about 3 feet length for any emergency. No need to ask any civil contractor to procure the steel rod. If you look around in the tool box, there are plenty of tools you can use in an 'emergency'.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:15   #32
BHPian

I was driving alone from Bangalore to Kundapur in Dec 2007.If I can recollect,this happened near Uppinangadi.I had to honk hard for a 2 wheeler to step aside from the center of the road.After 2 minutes,he slowed down and asked me to stop.
The guy was in his mid 20's and was abusive.
I got down from my car and he said that he would burn my car.I laughed him off and started to get back to my car.
In 2 mins,there were 2 more bikes with 3 different guys abusing me.
I learnt that this was a ploy to get some money from me.
all 4 of them parked their bikes in front of my car and asked me shell out money.
All i did was to walk back to the boot of my car and removed the 2 feet knife that I had brought for my Mom from the US(Part of the cutlery set)
In 30 seconds,The other 2 bikes disappeared.

Believe me,I was shivering myself holding that knife.I walked close to this guy and just told him to go home and drink some cold water.
He was sweating profusely and vanished in 1 minute

All in all,I would not have used the weapon but it acts as a good deterrent!
Old 8th December 2010, 19:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
All i did was to walk back...not have used the weapon but it acts as a good deterrent!
Good that those 3-4 guys weren't courageous enough; had they been able to pull out the knife from you, trust me, you might've landed up loosing the car as well. But again, this also is to change in due course of time. If the bikers gang on highway is for threatening for sure, then they're going to only increase in number.

What is surprising is, if these many members have come across this situation, how many would've gone unnoticed, unreported or may be even reported until now.
Old 8th December 2010, 23:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
I was driving alone from Bangalore to Kundapur in Dec 2007.If I can recollect,this happened near Uppinangadi.I had to honk hard for a 2 wheeler to step aside from the center of the road.After 2 minutes,he slowed down and asked me to stop.
The guy was in his mid 20's and was abusive.
I got down from my car and he said that he would burn my car.I laughed him off and started to get back to my car.
In 2 mins,there were 2 more bikes with 3 different guys abusing me.
I learnt that this was a ploy to get some money from me.
all 4 of them parked their bikes in front of my car and asked me shell out money.
All i did was to walk back to the boot of my car and removed the 2 feet knife that I had brought for my Mom from the US(Part of the cutlery set)
In 30 seconds,The other 2 bikes disappeared.

Believe me,I was shivering myself holding that knife.I walked close to this guy and just told him to go home and drink some cold water.
He was sweating profusely and vanished in 1 minute

All in all,I would not have used the weapon but it acts as a good deterrent!
take a look at this vid. its absolutely gold. watch it till the end.
Old 8th December 2010, 23:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

^^I saw lots of abusing and a person show a gun and take another person's camera at gun point. I am not sure who will be charged if the cops are involved. If the baseball bat was to meet the bimmer and the gun discharged then, it would have been fair.

I encounted 2 modified Yaams on my way to Bangalore from Coorg. They were chewing on some other car's misery and I had to reach the nearest mosque since it was getting late for prayer. I honked and moved forward and somewhere near Channpatana these buggers overtook me and wanted me to take them on. I found the mosque and exited the road. Too bad they could not feast on me.

But this problem exists and I think pulling over, relaxing, listening to a couple of songs can calm your nerves down and you can get rid of them passively. Taking them on is inviting trouble unless you know for sure you can teach them a lesson.
Old 8th December 2010, 23:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^I saw lots of abusing and a person show a gun and take another person's camera at gun point. I am not sure who will be charged if the cops are involved. If the baseball bat was to meet the bimmer and the gun discharged then, it would have been fair.
you didn't get it.

the two guys in the pick up were continuously harassing the guy in the Z4 and his girlfriend, for no good reason. The Z4 guy tries to avoid them in a non-confrontational manner, but while trying to lose them, he hits a sort of dead end. The guys in the pick up try and bully him further and take out the baseball bat. Meanwhile, our Z4 friend pulls out a little pistol and takes their camera and car keys and throws the keys at the end of the road.
Old 9th December 2010, 00:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
you didn't get it.
I was looking at it from a legal angle.
Abusing was from both sides. The bimmer guy assumed that none in the truck had guns. If both party had guns, there would be no video

Last edited by prince_pervez : 9th December 2010 at 00:14.
Old 9th December 2010, 01:25   #38
BHPian

Let me put down my few exp with this idiot...
1. I was traveling to Sripuram near Vellor. It was full of traffic area, you cant drive more than 40KM. One Hero (He thinks that he can do any thing that Rajani can do ) over took me and suddenly took left. I had to push the break hard. And the next moment he was on the road lying down. He lost his control and hit a cycle. Dont know what made him to drive such crazy.
2. Traveling to Krishnagiri from Bangalore. Saw a guys overtook me. Next movement I can see that he hit some other bike who was just crossing the road. As I sensed the accident early I had press the break hard to save them. Thank god no vehicle was in my behind.
3. Again this time I was in Bangalore... Traveling at a speed of 30 behind a new Swift. This biker over took me very rashly and the Swift. He obviously went in the wrong side. I am sensing that he is going to hit a bike opposite to his bike. Crasssssssshhhh .. with a another bike Head on. I see those bike hit the Swift I break hard to save this Idiot and my car. Another Stupid (Lady) who was tailgating my car hit my car bumper. And later this lady was blaming me why did I break so hard...

Biker !!! Always .... Still dont know how to handle :(

Arindam

Last edited by Sowmya : 9th December 2010 at 01:28.
Old 9th December 2010, 01:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Ah! This happens sometimes when I am on my way to office. Guys on Pulsars and R15s decide to criss cross around me. Mostly it is harmless fun to scare someone, I invariably gives them the thumbs up for being the jackasses they are and they drive on.

I can't recall the number of times I have gotten into an argument with someone who will defend even the dumbest actions.

This one time I was just walking to the nearby shop when this d00d decides to rip down the road. He cut around quite a few vehicles, admittedly with great style, but was soon brought down by an old lady deciding open her car's door right when he was to whizz past.

I couldn't stop laughing. Felt no sympathy for him.

@Sowmya

Tad bit unfair to generalize bikers. Don't you think so?

Last edited by EssYouWe : 9th December 2010 at 01:30.
Old 9th December 2010, 05:29   #40
BANNED

Guys, the incident that started this thread as mentioned by nitinbose happened in my daily driving route.

Of late, I am also noticing a lot of bikers on this route, but I doubt it is as sinister as "biker gangs" and stuff. FYI, there are about 3-4 major colleges on this route, and a majority of the bikers on this route are students.

This is a major thoroughfare for goods into Kerala, and is a very busy road. Any incident on the road gathers a crowd instantly, and not always a mob. So the chances of mugging or similar criminal activity by bikers on this road are slim to none. Sure, they might harass a bus or two, but I dont think it will lead to any major issues.

Like others have mentioned, maybe the KSRTC driver had unceremoniously thrown them off the road on his previous trip. Maybe the boys are having fun, like college students invariably do. They jostle with me all the time. Some patience, and some quick thinking usually does the trick.

Certain situations require certain measures, but I dont think I need to start carrying a 9mm in my jacket just yet
Old 9th December 2010, 06:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Biker !!! Always .... Still dont know how to handle :(
@Ari - That's not a fair statement!!! I ride about 70 Kms a day & I'd seen so many bad drivers, so it would be unfair when I label all car drivers are bad, lane hoggers etc.

The root of the fact lies in the driver/rider education system & the process to obtain license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Right

Quote:
I think pulling over, relaxing, listening to a couple of songs can calm your nerves down and you can get rid of them passively.
That's a brilliant advice. But then, I've thought about this, what if these morons come back for a fight seeing that our car is stationary? May be pulling over to extreme left & then driving slow for certain distance will help.

Quote:
Taking them on is inviting trouble unless you know for sure you can teach them a lesson.
Why to take on them? They're strangers & no one knows who's on the strong or weaker side; besides why should we care, whether they learn the lesson in the right way or not?
Old 9th December 2010, 10:32   #42
BANNED

Bikers are idiotic M.O.R.O.N.S with some exceptions. They think they own the road and should be given the right of way wherever they are and whenever they want. Most of them don't have any road sense (worse than autos) at all save a few.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Ah! This happens sometimes when I am on my way to office. Guys on Pulsars and R15s decide to criss cross around me. Mostly it is harmless fun to scare someone, I invariably gives them the thumbs up for being the jackasses they are and they drive on.

I can't recall the number of times I have gotten into an argument with someone who will defend even the dumbest actions.

This one time I was just walking to the nearby shop when this d00d decides to rip down the road. He cut around quite a few vehicles, admittedly with great style, but was soon brought down by an old lady deciding open her car's door right when he was to whizz past.

I couldn't stop laughing. Felt no sympathy for him.

@Sowmya

Absolutely! I think to say that all bikers are the same is a tad unfair.
We see a whole lot of them who drive in the lanes,follow the traffic rules and are pleasant on the road.Its mostly the uneducated ones who start to treat the road and their bikes(and cars) as their slaves and create ruckus.
That tribe has to decrease.Also,road rage is no solution for these mischief mongers.You would do no good in increasing your blood pressure! Just take a few deep breaths and enjoy the drive
Old 9th December 2010, 10:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe
Not at all, if the bikers in question are from Chennai or the ones that ride suicidally on the Kerala highways. No idea about bikers in other cities/towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks
Bikers are idiotic M.O.R.O.N.S with some exceptions.
So true. And in Chennai it would be tough to trace the few exceptions among bikers. Earlier while driving, my only worry was the crazy bikers not scratching my car while indulging in their stupid routine of getting into the smallest of gaps between cars or where there is no gap at all.

Now that the car is 5 years old, it does not worry me that much (just a wee bit). Today, everytime on the road, I need to shoulder the additional responsibility of keeping these jackasses alive, since they think it is fair to just cut in front of my car by surprise and whenever/wherever they feel like. I just hope one of these days, I dont abandon my life-saver role.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th December 2010 at 10:54.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Nowadays I travel to & fro to work by Metro. I get to avoid all these situations. My BP is normal, I don't have to engage these morons anymore.

Am happy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks