Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 10:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bikers harassing vehicles on highway

Hi Everyone,

This is an experience I had when traveling from Ernakulam to Bangalore, during the past week-end.

I was traveling in the KSRTC bus and we were on a high-way, between Kanjikode and Walayar. The bus was cruising between 80-90 kph.

This was when a couple of bikes overtook us. There were two people in each bikes. The strange things was afterwards, when they simply started preventing us from proceeding above 40kph, for some unknown reasons.

They started doing stunts on the road and each time the drive tried to overtake, they would hastily block us.

This continued for some 15 minutes when an SX4 overtook us, thinking we were going slow due to some unknown reason, when they were also blocked by these hooligans.

Finally, the conductor had to report the matter to the highway police. These hooligans somehow sensed this and sped off!

We later saw them stop, pretending to take a leak, somewhere just before the Walayar check post.

Both the bikes were of Kerala registration and the gang consisted of youngsters.

We then proceeded to report to the checkpost police, with complete details of the vehicles and the gang.

Hope they intercepted them.

I would suggest anybody riding along that route to be careful as they could face such incidents. The highway police number, as I recall was 98460 100 100.

regards,

Nitin
Old 7th December 2010, 11:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hope they reported the registration number of the bikes to the police.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Nitin - Must be some college youngsters trying to have fun or may be one or all of them would've been a victim of some moronic Govt bus driver.

PS - Couldn't help thinking about the 60's bikers gang in US. So are we still half a century behind?
Old 7th December 2010, 12:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh oh, this menace seems to be everywhere. A few months back while going to Jaipur, this happened with me.

As soon as I crossed Daruhera on NH8 cruising at 90+ Kmph, I noticed in the RVM 3 bikes approaching fast. Sensing that they were in a hurry, I switched on my left indicator and moved to the left of the road to allow them to pass.

After they passed my Scorpio, after some distance they slowed down and drove in a formation of three bikes side-by-side thus occupying the whole road. They were 5 riders including the pillion.

I tried to pass them a few times and they wouldn't let me and were performing antcs like driving without holding the handle bar, the pillion of one standing with hands stretched etc.

After some time I got highly irritated and furious and tried passing them one more time, but in vain. The I slowed down a bit to increase distance between them and me.

Switched on all my lights - the strobes, HIDs, Roof and the Hella rallye 3003, floored the gas pedal and blared my both set of horns - Bosch 370HZ and the Hella 230HZ.

With the speedo reading 110 approached them at great speed. The cacophony got their attention and I saw them turning their head to look. In a jiffy, they scattered to the left of the road in the rough and I sailed through.

Would I've hit them? Don't know, but at that speed probably the brakes would have not worked. But, thereafter I didn't see them in the RVM.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Would I've hit them? Don't know, but at that speed probably the brakes would have not worked. But, thereafter I didn't see them in the RVM.
though both of the acts shouldn't be encouraged, I mean the bikers as well as flooring to 110, sometimes, this is what works. But fortunately, they didn't come back with a baseball bat or chain ball, but, I would expect that situation sooner.

I hope you did that because you didn't have your family with you, otherwise you course of action would've been different. In that aspect, I feel like enrolling myself in some political party to have the party's flag on the bonnet!!!
Old 7th December 2010, 12:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ aargee, you think all those SUVs with the flags have enrolled membership in some party!?

I have encountered the same near Nokia factory, Chennai en route to Bangalore. I did the same trick as what GD1418 did, its dangerous but then it was really an annoying experience which got verbal. I blasted off at speeds well above what GD1418 did. I was in my Ikon 1.6 & just the Hella Red grills to give them a warning!
Old 7th December 2010, 12:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

a bus driver wary of bikers in kerala ??? That's gotta be a first
Old 7th December 2010, 12:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

I agree aargee, what I did should not have been done. But after sometime my patience gave away. My family was with me and I could hear my wife screaming with her eyes closed, Son looking intently as to what was going to happen and the daughter ashen-faced.

As far as baseball bat or chain ball is concerned, I'm well prepared for that. On all my highways drive I always carry a 3' solid steel rod, a 6' wooden staff that is regularly fed with mustard oil once a month. Never ever had the occassion or the opportunity to wield either.

Thrice I've been asked about the steel rod by the police at a checking at interste barriers. I've till date gotten away mentioning that this for operating the hydraulic jack since I can't bend down due to my belly (that's the whitest of the white lie).

I hope & pray to God that I may not have to do this or wield the staff/rod ever. But, I promise nothing....except that I will not draw the first blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
though both of the acts shouldn't be encouraged, I mean the bikers as well as flooring to 110, sometimes, this is what works. But fortunately, they didn't come back with a baseball bat or chain ball, but, I would expect that situation sooner.

I hope you did that because you didn't have your family with you, otherwise you course of action would've been different. In that aspect, I feel like enrolling myself in some political party to have the party's flag on the bonnet!!!

Last edited by gd1418 : 7th December 2010 at 12:54.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:57   #9
BHPian

>>>

gd1418,

How did you buy the steel rod? I mean where did you buy it from? And what did you describe it as, to the seller?
I am planning to buy a crowbar sort of a thing for such an eventuality.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 7th December 2010 at 12:58. Reason: Added a point
Old 7th December 2010, 13:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Switched on all my lights - the strobes, HIDs, Roof and the Hella rallye 3003, floored the gas pedal and blared my both set of horns - Bosch 370HZ and the Hella 230HZ.
Quote:
Thrice I've been asked about the steel rod by the police at a checking at interste barriers. I've till date gotten away mentioning that this for operating the hydraulic jack since I can't bend down due to my belly (that's the whitest of the white lie).
I'm willing to build a shrine to you Great presence of mind

Are both horns wired to go off when you lean on steering wheel?
Old 7th December 2010, 13:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

My civil contractor arranged it for me. I don't know what he said to the seller....

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

gd1418,

How did you buy the steel rod? I mean where did you buy it from? And what did you describe it as, to the seller?
I am planning to buy a crowbar sort of a thing for such an eventuality.

Regards, drive safe

That's is a unique handle that you've got "bottle'. The Bosch 370HZ is not wired to the steering wheel. It is operated by a separate push-button.

Can I ask you for something instead? The cost for building a shrine would get me a Hummer. Should I send you my bank details for affecting wire transfer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post

I'm willing to build a shrine to you Great presence of mind

Are both horns wired to go off when you lean on steering wheel?

Last edited by gd1418 : 7th December 2010 at 13:20.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
My civil contractor arranged it for me. I don't know what he said to the seller....
>>>

Hmmm. I have to buy one quick.
I have invested in an LED torch with a strobe function, which is also used by law enforcement agencies.That will be a big help in emergencies.

However a crowbar beside you in your vehicle is very reassuring

Regards, drive safe
Old 7th December 2010, 13:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand why these bikers are doing what they are doing. It's them who are in great danger. The car will at most sustain a dent. But if the person behind wheel loses his cool and blasts his way through them, its them who will end up maimed for life. The car owner might have to do some rounds in Police station and maybe bribe his way out. But how will these guys bribe their way out of disability???
Old 7th December 2010, 13:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

+1 to this. But why oh why these bikers don't understand this and that too on a highway that at the best of the times is devoid of police patrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I fail to understand why these bikers are doing what they are doing. It's them who are in great danger. The car will at most sustain a dent. But if the person behind wheel loses his cool and blasts his way through them, its them who will end up maimed for life. The car owner might have to do some rounds in Police station and maybe bribe his way out. But how will these guys bribe their way out of disability???
Old 7th December 2010, 14:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

I had a bunch of 'festive' bikers who kept overtaking and slowing down in front of me. After a while i Just turned on high beam, and drove with a decent distance behind them. unfortunately ( and fortunately in this case) the high beam was aiming at the sky since the car was running a full load after a while i guess they got fed up of being blinded from behind and let me pass

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks