Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 21:37   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Snake holding beggars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Please feel free to report post to mods for changing thread title.
Confession: I visited and read the thread a few times before it occurred to me <Blush>.

But, you know how it is: once you see something like that you can't get it out of the mind.

I hate the monkey-holding beggars. It's almost as bad to exploit these poor creatures as it is to exploit children.
Old 10th December 2010, 21:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

What is worse is that people demand that the monkey take the money from them. How supremacist can humans be?
Old 10th December 2010, 21:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

This practice will automatically stop when people stop paying such beggars any money.
Old 11th December 2010, 01:36   #34
BHPian

Re: Snake holding beggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oh btw, the snakes just swallow anything it is presented with and sorta 'hide' it in a corner of their mouths.

in a friend's case, the duping snake beggar was caught and thrashed and the note magically appeared. It also helped that the bunch of guys was a bunch of non-superstitious college fellows ready to run over the snake with a car!

@gavini - that any loser at a traffic signal can do - must we always be scared?
Snake doesnt swallow anything, its the beggar's haath ki safai. I was also conned into it once and when I had almost slapped the beggar, the note appeared immediately.
Old 11th December 2010, 04:37   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Why are most people so hell bent on killing the snake??
Agree. We will never ever know what is going through the minds of the monkey or the snake. One thing is for sure, it is certainly not happy about being held captive. These guys need to learn tricks that they can do with street dogs instead of monkeys or snakes in a area where people can watch. This way the street dog gets a companion, and the monkey gets freedom, handler gets some cash, people will pay to watch the tricks (hopefully).

I had once asked for the price of such a captive snake (near Tumkur). He had said Rs500. Pretty cheap price for the freedom of a life. I just was not sure what to do with that snake, or handle a snake. Walked away with a heavy heart.

Last edited by prasadee : 11th December 2010 at 04:39.
Old 12th December 2010, 00:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

^^^I'm not sure if the street dog thing is a good idea, but I didn't get the logic for paying him for the snake. That is like encouraging him to go find more and then expect others to pay for its freedom. By buying the snake's freedom, you may actually be the cause of them catching several more. All this cruelty will stop if only people deny such people any money. But most people don't think that way... :(
Old 12th December 2010, 15:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm glad that some people have focussed on the poor snake. Releasing it sounds like a great idea, but... I wonder if these people take out the fangs, or do something that might mean the snake cannot fend for itself? Anybody know?
Old 12th December 2010, 15:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

^^^That is a distinct possibility. I'm sure they are perfectly capable of doing that. Isn't there some law (wildlife protection or whatever) which you can use against them? Anybody knows?
Old 12th December 2010, 15:54   #39
Team-BHP Support

Once a beggar carrying 3 snakes in different baskets came to my house in Manipal.

He: I'll show snakes, pay me.
Me: Aren't you in the wrong place?
He: What do you mean?
Me: [showed the forest next to my house] I live next to a forest, I often see snakes around my house/office free of cost. Why should I pay for it?

He left in a huff.
Old 13th December 2010, 00:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All this cruelty will stop if only people deny such people any money. But most people don't think that way... :(
What I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
This practice will automatically stop when people stop paying such beggars any money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Once a beggar carrying 3 snakes in different baskets came to my house in Manipal.

He: I'll show snakes, pay me.
Me: Aren't you in the wrong place?
He: What do you mean?
Me: [showed the forest next to my house] I live next to a forest, I often see snakes around my house/office free of cost. Why should I pay for it?

He left in a huff.
Old 13th December 2010, 02:10   #41
BHPian

Well, In Chennai i haven't seen people begging with snakes in their hand, however i have seen people asking money with kids/babies in their hand. Traffic cops usually don't allow these beggars to stand in signal, but still some smart beggars try to make it.

We should all have a policy in ourselves that by any change we should not offer any money to these beggars, once everyone follows it i guess there wont be any beggars.

Our Countries pride is mostly dented by these beggars in the street and some time they even steel money from foreigners and runn-off. So we should all say strict no-no to beggars.
Once we stop paying they would also stop asking, After all its our hard earned money why should we give it for free. Let them also work and earn it and understand the fact "nothing comes free in this world"
Old 13th December 2010, 11:37   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Once we stop paying they would also stop asking, After all its our hard earned money why should we give it for free. Let them also work and earn it and understand the fact "nothing comes free in this world"
Yes, but... It isn't as if begging is not hard work in itself. I certainly wouldn't want to do it.

All those children on the streets, though. If it isn't stopped, they are just the next generation and it will go on for ever. There are supposed to be schemes to take them off the street and put them in school, but I wonder how many this works for, and how often it happens except for "photo opportunities".
Old 13th December 2010, 12:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Well said. The moment the beggers or mafia behind it realize this is not an easy income opportunity the whole begging business would start crumpling. Not that this is a solution for the exploitation of animals or humans - but atleast for begging would be reduced.

Quote:
Why are most people so hell bent on killing the snake??

Instead bash up the beggar... and you may actually acquire some blessings from the poor snake, who is a victim itself, lol!
Very True - The poor snake is already leading a miserable life. Why cant we respect his life and instead thrash the begger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

To give the beggar a taste of their own medicine start shaking your body as if you are in trance shouting wildly "Shambuji aa gaye".
Imagine getting out of the car and acting to be in trance and shouting at the snake to bite the begger as the whole crowd watches !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, but... It isn't as if begging is not hard work in itself. I certainly wouldn't want to do it.

All those children on the streets, though. If it isn't stopped, they are just the next generation and it will go on for ever. There are supposed to be schemes to take them off the street and put them in school, but I wonder how many this works for, and how often it happens except for "photo opportunities".

I stayed for a few years in Satara where there was a begger's home. They caught all the beegers in town and gave them some kind of employement lik emaking bags, small farming activities etc and gave them food and shelter in return. AFIK Sadly asking for alms in the name of god is not termed under begging.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:12   #44
BHPian

Check this link: a hissing story (old, though)

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Metro | Snake trap to rob techie
Old 17th December 2010, 18:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Check this link: a hissing story (old, though)

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Metro | Snake trap to rob techie
I thought Cal was safe from these robberies, but I guess I have reassess my thinking; specially when it has happened to someone of my office. I guess I have to start driving with the windows rolled up.

Most Viewed