Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 12:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fog lamps getting more & more powerful!

Lamps and horns are going the arms race way.

Mine is bigger than yours ... and we both keep leap-frogging each other ... so after next upgrade yours will become bigger than mine.

Unfortunately you cannot become Mahatma Gandhi and survive in this arms race era.
Old 14th December 2010, 15:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thank god that HIDs are expensive for these folks to install freely, imagine six pair of HIDs glowing at full blast coming right on to you, I would always do day driving when that happens
Old 14th December 2010, 17:05   #18
BANNED

I am planning to get Fog lamps for my Gypsy. Whats the best bulb to use for them that will "save my life" and also not be a nuisance?

I have decided on the Hella FF75 enclosure.

Thanks
Old 14th December 2010, 17:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

I feel all Volvo buses have 130/100 Headlamps installed in all four primary headlamps. All Volvo buses illuminate too much (unlike other 55/60 watt bulbs) and all lights are very powerful.

Can any one confirm this? Check any BMTC volvo or Kallada volvo. Just think what happen when 130 Watt X4 high beam lights blinds you from front on highway. They never bother to switch to dipper.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:22   #20
BHPian

The irritating bit is when people turn on all possible lights & drive (front & back) and drive. It gets worst when the car has 4 main head lamps + 2 fog lamps. Worst still is when people drive with rear fog lamps on. Imagine all this happening in the city limits which has decent amounts of illumination.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

One rather tiny (compared to trucks and buses) villian has not yet been mentioned. Yes. The humble Tata Ace (or Paggio Ape??Thanks to the headlights one can never make it out).

These little monsters come with a light so powerful that when put in high beam, all I can do is to slow down to a standstill. And they always travel with high beam on.
Sometimes I suspect that this is the light bulbs with which it comes. Its impossible that all the ape/ace owners upgrade the lights.
Old 14th December 2010, 22:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
One rather tiny (compared to trucks and buses) villian has not yet been mentioned. Yes. The humble Tata Ace (or Paggio Ape??Thanks to the headlights one can never make it out).

These little monsters come with a light so powerful that when put in high beam, all I can do is to slow down to a standstill. And they always travel with high beam on.
Sometimes I suspect that this is the light bulbs with which it comes. Its impossible that all the ape/ace owners upgrade the lights.
Those are the same 55/60 watts bulbs but circular shape of headlights are more effective than modern weird & non even design headlamps of our cars.

Even Mahindra Sawari, Commander, Omni etc still sold with circular headlamps and they have powerful headlamps too. Even the rectangular shape of old Maruti 800 (Non Clear Lens) headlamps throw more light compared to i10 or other cars.
Old 14th December 2010, 23:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Santros have better lighting in Hi Beam compared to i10. I am talking about stock bulbs.

In Kerala the main culprits during this period are the Sabarimala pilgrimage vehicles; Traxs, Taveras, Travellers and the Big Buses mostly AL with four lights all on hi beams. Mostly these vehicles are KL, TN and KA regd.

They never ever dip the beams, literally blinding others. Why is it that the dipper switch is never touched.

Is it the fear of failure of the switches by frequent usage?

In most of the night time accidents the causating factor is this powerful beams.

Will the authorities concerned take note.

Last edited by rajeev k : 14th December 2010 at 23:05.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 10:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

rajeev, it's not fear of the dipper switch getting damaged, but sheer arrogance.
Most of the rashly driven Sabarimala vehicles are AP/KA/TN registered vehicles. They're extremely dangerous when they return. I see a lot of drunk drivers in such sumos and qualises.
Old 15th December 2010, 23:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

See some pics of blinding lights.

1.dangerous brightness
2. More intense
3. ferocious
All three are different vehicles
Attached Thumbnails
Fog lamps getting more & more powerful!-15122010078.jpg  

Fog lamps getting more & more powerful!-15122010079.jpg  

Fog lamps getting more & more powerful!-15122010080.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th December 2010 at 23:25.
Old 15th December 2010, 23:43   #26
BHPian

We need better lit roads, until then people will use 100 and 130 watt bulbs. if they blind you, just blind them back.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:11   #27
BHPian

It is not just restricted to buses and commercial vehicles. So many people opt for fog lamps in their cars in Chennai !!!
Old 26th March 2011, 20:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Take a look the newly installed fog lamps on a truck. The order of the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Fog lamps getting more & more powerful!-fog.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th March 2011 at 20:52.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Its high time that we go back to good old days. Traffic police forcibly painting half of the headlight with black paint. It was a move mooted by the wise who knew what Indians are.

Seems that this is the only way we Indians can be controlled.

My friend is taking a Xylo and first thing he is doing it to upgrade the lights. Sigh.
Old 27th March 2011, 00:19   #30
BHPian

True these days folks don't dip their beams, the key to night driving has always been not looking into the oncoming vehicles lights but to keep it in peripheral vision and focus on the road. For someone like me that used to drive all night long, I rarely drive during the nights these days. For the newbies of the nights, never look into the on coming vehicles headlights fogs and all other lights, keep it in your peripheral vision, if it still bothers you, follow a truck or a bus (thats maintaining a steady pace and not erratic) and while your at it maintain a safe distance behind it.

Most Viewed