Team-BHP - Fog lamps getting more & more powerful!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Fog lamps getting more & more powerful! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/93436-fog-lamps-getting-more-more-powerful.html)

Of late it is noticed that fog lamps are getting more and more powerful. Even truckers started mounting lights on the bumpers and with very powerful bulbs night driving is getting a lot dangerous especially on two lane roads. This is because of the height of the bumper it is at the same level of car headlamps.

When the fog lamps emanate powerful beams there is an added danger because this beam comes parallel at your eyes totally blinding oncoming drivers. More than that the fogs doesn't have dippers. It is high time the wattage of lamps and the number of lights are restricted mandatorily for ensuring the roads as a safe place to be.

Unfortunately my friend, our beloved politicians and governing bodies are not really interested in such petty things. Unless there is a big earning potential, nothing is going to be done.

I have noticed that most APSRTC long distance buses have auxiliary lamps mounted on them, thereby inconveniencing other road users. If this is happening on such a large scale, the concerned authorities surely know about it, but choose to ignore.

As long as there are no proper street lighting in all roads of India, people will install powerful lights on their vehicles. The govt should introduce some uniform regulation regarding the height at which the lamps are installed, the angle of the beam, etc..

A regulation exists presently,regarding the allowable wattage of headlamp bulbs, which is 55W for the high beam. This is the wattage of the bulb in the stock headlamp as OE. But is flouted by one and all indiscriminately . Just like putting a mat, bulbs are replaced before the vehicle leave the show room. This need to be curbed by proper regulation.

Objective of the fog lamp is to have visibility under extreme weather condition, however nowadays its not serving the purpose it has become more of fancy item.

Fog lamp purpose -
Fog generally hovers at about 10 to 20 inches from the ground. So, in theory, if we project light out into the pocket that does not contain the fog, you can brighten the road for a distance that will allow you to see farther. Low-mounted lights---or fog lights---are installed at your bumper or even lower, and the light they expel is actually cut off at the top, creating a light pattern that projects straight out, then flat and then down, but not higher. If you live in a high-fog area, they may be worth a try. Just make sure you buy a high-quality fog light and have it professionally mounted, because the position of the light will greatly affect its performance

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajeev k (Post 2169818)
A regulation exists presently,regarding the allowable wattage of headlamp bulbs, which is 55W for the high beam. This is the wattage of the bulb in the stock headlamp as OE. But is flouted by one and all indiscriminately . Just like putting a mat, bulbs are replaced before the vehicle leave the show room. This need to be curbed by proper regulation.

Hi,

Most folks I know do this primarily because they are dazzled by oncoming vehicles on Hi beam. It is a question of survival, as with the stock lights you can barely see the roads.

regards

Vaseem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abes (Post 2169815)
As long as there are no proper street lighting in all roads of India, people will install powerful lights on their vehicles.

They don't have street lighting on most freeways in America as well. They still drive with low beam on them. Why?

Because the cops will catch you and ticket you.

Here, policing is a nice joke. Unfortunately no one is laughing.

Quote:

The govt should introduce some uniform regulation regarding the height at which the lamps are installed, the angle of the beam, etc..
As far as I know, you cannot install any lights above the headlights.
The headlights have a angle adjuster. This is mandatory on all vehicles.

Fog lights don't have any such adjuster.

It does not help that people install extra lights but drive with dirty windscreens. Its my firm belief that most headlights are adequate. At best replacing the bulbs with street legal Philips H4 Extreme Powers is enough to illuminate the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2171444)

As far as I know, you cannot install any lights above the headlights.
The headlights have a angle adjuster. This is mandatory on all vehicles.

Fog lights don't have any such adjuster.

It does not help that people install extra lights but drive with dirty windscreens. Its my firm belief that most headlights are adequate. At best replacing the bulbs with street legal Philips H4 Extreme Powers is enough to illuminate the road.

There are several night service buses with lot of headlights like this. They don't mind installing it above headlamp (image from google).

Also KeRTC bus with clean windscreen is a rare sight :(

With those lights Suresh Kallada is indeed a 'concern' to vehicles coming from the opposite direction.

These are to be banned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajeev k (Post 2172332)
With those lights Suresh Kallada is indeed a 'concern' to vehicles coming from the opposite direction.

These are to be banned.

This is not limited to Kallada.

I have seen many interstate buses with more than 10-12 headlamps (except Volvos)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajeev k (Post 2172332)

These are to be banned.

Rajeev,

these are already illegal but they care two hoots and go about driving with their headlights on high beam, noisy exhausts & shrill/air horns and the cops always look the other way :Frustrati

regards

Vaseem

Even Volvos have additional lights fitted. Of course after-market fitments. Instead of the regular two pairs, some have 3 pairs at the position of HLs. Then another pair of lights integrated in the bumper, and sometimes more.

Some Prakash-built buses have 6 headlights and additional fogs, plus the "hidden" lamps above the grille.

@coolclouds: At least most of the long distance KeSRTC buses I've seen, have clean windshields. The drivers show the sense to wash the windscreen before starting the trip. Concerning TNSTC/SETC it's true to a great extent.

May be true. But I have seen at least Blr-Tvm Volvo and Blr-Thiruvalla super deluxe with dirtly windshields

Even tippers Mazda sport four headlamps and is a real menace these days. Even these guys follow other vehicles in high beam literally blinding the vehicle in front through reflections from the rear view mirrors.