Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 11:33   #1
BHPian

Accidents - when you are the victim, man on street!

I have been trying to go through posts to get a clue or hints on rights and duties of a person when he or she meets with an accident.

Background:
My dad met with an accident way back in early 2005 - while he was crossing the road at Bandra East. So bad was the accident that he was left unconscious and on the verge of losing his memory. Fortunately his memory was restored - hurt his head badly and had multiple fractures on his leg. He is still unable to walk straight!

I dont stay with my parents; they stay in Bandra East; dad's case has been filed by a lawyer - who has been giving dates time and again. Dad is 70 years old as of now. My brother stays close to them and has been visiting the lawyers and courts everytime they call for a hearing.

There was a hearing on 3rd of December - where in the lawyer said that the date has been moved further to March 2011 now. The original claim was for Rs.2.5 lacs - and has now been reduced to Rs.1 lacs.

A couple of months back there was a person who visited claiming that he was from LIC and that dad's claim of Rs.2.5 lacs had been settled / sanctioned etc., etc., unfortunately none of us were to cross check with this guy - who cooly took 1000 bucks, chai pani; for this info.

My questions are :
1) How long will this claim be running for? Dad's getting upset as he is tired of going to courts and also this delay is making him frustrated. Moreover the reduction of claim to Rs.1 lac.

2) Who is responsible for moving the dates?

3) Who will be paying it - the insurance agency (i guess) - not the driver or owner of the car - Can he keep moving the court hearing?

4) If for whatever reasons the LIC person - is fraud or not - could he be telling the truth that the claim is cleared and someone else (lawyer) has knowingly reduced the claim to Rs.1 lac.

5) The bills (hospitals etc etc) have amounted to Rs.1.57 lacs - originals that are with us.

My brother mentions that the lawyer is a well known guy and he is not the one who is moving dates and the opposite party is doing it.

Would like folks to post a feedback on how should I go about it. I have not interacted with the lawyer - whom I plan to meet this weekend and therefore would like to know all details of how I should cross question him.

Only that he should know - that I am not completely unaware of the laws

Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks