Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:39   #31
Mik
BHPian

Re: Victim of Road Rage + Extortion!

I agree that the aftermath of the incident was very unpleasant. However, lets not forget whose mistake it was.
The right of way belonged to the moving vehicle. On a bike, i have myself been on the receiving end of car/cab/auto wallahs suddenly veering into my lane, which led to panic braking. Maybe this particular guy was dreaming/talking on the phone or whatever, but he had right of way.
Once, i tailgated into a zen which suddenly decided to veer into our lane and stop right in the middle of the ring road where the avg traffic speed was 50 kmph. Both me and my wife fell and were saved from sure death because of some great braking by cars coming behind and full riding gear. Funnily enough, that guy wanted money for his broken tail light while my bike chassis was bent. I gave him a big piece of mind.

Dealing with such hooligans/extortionists: You need to take charge and be aggressive. If you see no damage done, then you might as well take off.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

@Suhaas. I empathize with you brother. But on the brighter side, 450 INR and 10 minutes is no biggie for you. Its the mental stress that is the most damaging. That can be covered by time. This can happen in any city and quite frankly with those number of people against you, thank God you used discretion. As a abiding citizen all you can do is complain to the authorities, which you did.
From the Samurai guy point of view, he just wanted to make some quick buck out of which 200 will go in fine and the rest 250 in illness or misfortune. No one can take anyone's destined income or money. If you have something that was never was meant to be, it will leave you in the manner you got it, painfully or painlessly. I have seen this so so many times.
You are safe, the car is safe, complaint is registered, time for a movie I say! Cheer up, BS happens and it was your turn bud!

@Others: Removing a baseball bat or ilk in front of the number of rickshawallahas mentioned, is going do no good but attract a good beating on the road.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 22nd December 2010 at 20:34.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:41   #33
Team-BHP Support

Thank you everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I agree that the aftermath of the incident was very unpleasant. However, lets not forget whose mistake it was.
The right of way belonged to the moving vehicle. On a bike, i have myself been on the receiving end of car/cab/auto wallahs suddenly veering into my lane, which led to panic braking. Maybe this particular guy was dreaming/talking on the phone or whatever, but he had right of way.
Once, i tailgated into a zen which suddenly decided to veer into our lane and stop right in the middle of the ring road where the avg traffic speed was 50 kmph. Both me and my wife fell and were saved from sure death because of some great braking by cars coming behind and full riding gear. Funnily enough, that guy wanted money for his broken tail light while my bike chassis was bent. I gave him a big piece of mind.

Dealing with such hooligans/extortionists: You need to take charge and be aggressive. If you see no damage done, then you might as well take off.
Well I do accept responsibility for it. I should not have come in his way, and that's wrong. I've accepted it earlier in this thread as well. I will be extra safe next time round. But Honestly, what he did was daylight robbery. And there is no justifying that. I apologized to him when the incident occurred, but he decided to take things on a whole new level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
@Suhaas. I empathize with you brother. But on the brighter side, 450 INR and 10 minutes is no biggie for you. Its the mental stress that is the most damaging. That can be covered by time. This can happen in any city and quite frankly with those number of people against you, thank God you used discretion. As a abiding citizen all you can do is complain to the authorities, which you did.
From the Samurai guy point of view, he just wanted to make some quick buck out of which 200 will go in fine and the rest 250 in illness or misfortune. No one can take anyone's destined income or money. If you have something that was never was meant to be, it will leave you in the manner you got it, painfully or painlessly. I have seen this so so many times.
You are safe, the car is safe, complaint is registered, time for a movie I say! Cheer up, BS happens and it was your turn bud!

@Others: Removing a baseball bat or ilk in front of the number of rickshawallahas mentioned, is going do no good but attract a good beating on the road.
Thank you Prince for the kind words, sympathies and advice!

You're right, things like this do happen often. And in hindsight, I would have liked to do things differently, but nothing can be done now. I do have half a mind to follow up, let's see!

Mashallah!
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about the unfortunate incident. Good that you got away with paying 450 Rupees, forget aboout it and move on. I dont think following up with cops will make any difference. Mob did not support you because your vehicle have extra two wheels. Even I dont know how to handle mob (that too autowallahs) during this kind of situations.

Drive safe

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd December 2010 at 20:59.
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

One more instance of road rage that is becoming the most common thing on Indian roads.
The bigger the vehicle, the more the jealousy and the animosity for the "richer" guy. That is always India.
It could have been worse, I think you were lucky to get away with only at this level - no physical damage to car and self, not much financial damage.
What would I have done in the circumstances? Much the same, apologise for what happened - never mind who was at fault, a simple apology has saved me on many such occasions, the antagonist normally cools down and can assuage even the most massive of egos - at the same time mildly remonstrating to the other party that he could have been also careful. Not necessarily an admission that you are right or wrong. Pointless to go violent, that can only aggravate matters, you are the guy with the car who can take more damage than the biker.
Even today, I don't carry anything in my car for self-defence despite having driven to the toughest regions in India and having had many such encounters. I think we are all smart enough to talk our way through such tight situations.
Great to hear that the online Bangalore police site is so responsive, something we do not have in our cities.
Police complaints are no deterrent but essential because it assures you against any further action from the other party and also creates a record of the incident in the event of any further escalation. Futile thought to expect the cops to do anything about it.
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:29   #36
BHPian

Hey Suhaas, sincere regards for what happened, don't think too much about it yaar, such mentally unstable persons are roaming around everywhere, across all categories, blue & white collar etc. (i have come across such loonies in my place of work too)

There is nothing much one can do about bumping into such people around, better to keep one's sanity & try to get out of it ASAP. Calling the cops is not a bad idea as it would help against the mob going out of control.

Keeping self defense articles is purely a matter of personal choice. However do keep in mind that using it should be thought well about the consequences that may come about as a result !

Steer clear of dicey situations, remember, the roads are filled with idiots !!

Relax & take it in your stride, such incidents can happen in any major city across India & the world, you are not alone !

Hope the coming festive season takes the stress off, party hard
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

sad to hear the mental agony, but glad that there wasnt any physical damage to you OR your car. The damage was monetary at 450 bucks.

Time to move on with life with lessons from this episode.
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

An incidence happened with our HR in Pune:

"I would like to describe an incident that happened to me yesterday in the evening on my way back home. I left office around 6.30PM going home via the University Road towards Aundh. I was driving my car at the normal speed. I was about 500 – 700 meters ahead of the Governor house when a bike with 2 men tapped on my window and asked me to stop the car. I felt I must have touched or hit their bike in the signal so brought down the glass and enquired what the problem was. Those 2 men started shouting at me saying that I was driving rashly. For a moment I felt I must have, and stopped the car to the left and stepped out. Those two men started talking to me rashly and abusing me. I was lost / panicked for a moment and was wondering what I did. I asked them to explain what happened. They said that near Chaturshingi temple I kind of knocked down a pregnant woman who was driving a bike, incidentally her bike touched my car lost balance and fell it seems. I was pretty sure of nothing happening of that kind. Then I asked them to take me to that lady so that I could take care of hospitalization or medical care for which they disagreed saying if we go back there are chances that angry people would hit me badly. Then I said lets go to police station and ask them to raise a FIR against and I would take care of the rest for that as well they disagreed mentioning that they don’t have time for all these things and they need to rush to the hospital.

Then I asked what is that they want me to do for which they asked me to pay money and rest they will take care. Being alone and panicked a bit I decided to pay money but when I checked out my purse I didn’t have much in it. I asked them how much do they need, they said around 4000/- – 5000/- to which I said I don’t have and will have to withdraw from ATM. I went to the ATM withdrew Rs.1000 and gave it to them. On seeing 1000/- they started abusing and mentioning that they would get people and thrash me out etc. Then I decided to put a fight and asked to do what they want but that is what I would pay or let’s go to the police station and let them take this to closure. When I said this they got pacified and said they would manage with this money.

After they left the place I then called up my relative and explained the situation. That’s when I came to know that this is a racket that’s happening in Pune, and he was also a victim of a similar situation with a different reason. Luckily, I had taken the bike number and passed it to the police.

So I kindly request all of you who travel alone / going home late / passing through lonely roads to be very careful and **DO NOT ** stop for any reason. Please pass on this message to as many people as possible."

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 23rd December 2010 at 19:20.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:53   #39
BANNED

This kind of atrocious statements are unwarranted.

There are many other cities in the country where innocent people are just killed during such incidents.

Every city has such criminal activities happening, Kindly hold yourself from venting out some frustration for the city where you live in.

Indian political scene as on date is a SCAM galore, why are you pointing out at the state politics.

Suhas has gone through hell, i can sympathise with him.

BUT

Lets be a bit sane while commenting on such posts in the future.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th December 2010 at 19:18.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:07   #40
BHPian

+1 to Padam.
@Spitfire - Lets not convert this thread into what each feels about Bangalore !!!
This could happen anywhere on earth so lets not abuse about City/State/Nation. Also i don't think any of the leaders we elect across India today are worth finding their place next to Gandhi/Lincon/Mandela etc... So why pull the whole of Bangalore/Karnataka when issues are rampant everywhere.. I feel sad that someone was harassed so bad and got away easily.
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Suhas bad luck mate! am sure you will get over it soon...

Agree with Pavan here, Abhijeet(spitfire) am an admirer of your ideology but the statements what you have about the people here is uncalled for and shocking!

This can happen any where in India and for the politics i can only say its dirt everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
This kind of atrocious statements are unwarranted.

There are many other cities in the country where innocent people are just killed during such incidents.

Every city has such criminal activities happening, Kindly hold yourself from venting out some frustration for the city where you live in.

Indian political scene as on date is a SCAM galore, why are you pointing out at the state politics.

BUT

Lets be a bit sane while commenting on such posts in the future.
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

First of all am really sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.
It really is a shame that no one came forth to help.
The first thing one should do is dial 100 and get the police on their way.
Its really unbelievable that people actually behave in this manner. They have absolutely no maturity or civic sense yet they are issued a driving license. Accidents happen. Nobody wants to have an accident and certainly no one does so on purpose. You did the right thing by asking the guy to take the matter on the side. The reaction of the auto guys is just crazy. They have no business in the matter yet they will involve themselves. Abroad when people have an accident the firstly the police are notified. Damage is assessed. Contact information is shared. And the matter is then solved in a civalized manner.

I remember not to long ago probably a few months.
We were driving down north main rd in pune. This is an absolute straight rd. With many small lanes on the side.
No here we are on the main rd driving towards home where from out of the blue 2 guys on a bike come darting out of one of the lanes onto the main rd. I did spot them but thought they would stop. BANG our left side rear door takes the hit. I stop immediately. Assess the damage. Not to bad but definately will cost a lot to repair. I ask the guy on the bike to get on the side of the road. Now while i am getting this guy to move to the side. Some wise guy asks me to move my car to the side which by the way was already half way on the side. I would have liked to have moved the car all the way to the side but was fearing that if i move the bike guy might just zoom off.
Fast forward ~ both of us are on the side of the road. I immediately whip out the cellphone and diall 100. Give details on incident and location and cops say they will be there soon.
Now the guy heard me call the cops so he gets a bit nervous. People around saw me call. So nobody intervened. The guy started saying sorry and that he was in a hurry. So made the mistake and did not stop before entering the main rd. My wife and baby are waiting. My wife then sounds the horn. She asks me whats happening. And tells me that the guy looks a little fishy and was looking into the car. And says she just wants to get out of here. The cars door were locked but seeing that my wife was uncomfortable i decided to let the guy off with a stern warning. A pleasant surprise was that even before we reached home the cops called back on my cellphone and said that they reached the spot of the accident. My wife spoke to them as i was driving. She thanked them for their quick response and told them that we let them go with a warning. The police officer said that it was his duty and was glad that the matter was resolved. Kudos to the cops for their quick response. Just wanted to share this incident of ours. Cause it reminded me so much of it after reading yours.

So please call the cops immediately next time and loudly so everyone can hear. Also please dont carry a baseball bat as violence does not solve anything. Judging by your cool and calm nature it doesnt suit you.

I can really understand the feeling you went through with like 15 odd people going against you. People are just so frustrated and have nothing better to do. And to top that they all want free entertainment.

My wife feels that these are pro con guys. They know how to fake it and their main objective is to get some money out of you. Also they work in a team and are interested in your personal belongings left in your car too. So always make sure you lock your car immediately.

Also am sure you must have had your turn indicator on indicating your turn. But i also stick my hand out in these situations just to be safe.

Whats done is done. Move on now. Wishing you many more miles of happy motoring.

Drive safe.

Regards

mash
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:49   #43
BHPian

Delhi Road Rage - Sacred for My Life

What a coincidence! yesterday a case of Road Rage Happened and the Victim being me this Time. Those who are citizens of Delhi may be Knowing that daily there is either a assault on Women or a Road Rage which has reached Zenith proportion.

At around 1:45pm yesterday, Baba Kharak Singh Marg( meters away from Army RR hospital, New Delhi and there is security checkpost just meters away) I stopped my vehicle in middle lane(three lane road )as the signal was green for only left . Suddenly a person in a white Hyundai i20(DL 1Cxxxx) pulls up besides me and starts abusing me as to why I have stopped the vehicle , even though I was in the correct lane. His tone was such that It sent shivers down my spine. I controlled my nerves later he went away.I thought of lodging an FIR and may be send him a legal Notice-Just giving an outlet for my surge of Adrenalin nothing else

so what do we do such a situation?
1. Remember This can be a organized crime which can occur even in broad daylight, even in high security area and any city. so stay cool .
2. Never follow the vehicle or get out of your vehicle as they might steal your vehicle.
3.No use of calling Cops , If matter gets serious then call Police and Your Friend or relative for help.
4.Say Sorry and leave the matter , If they require money pay them ,Think it as if You used the money for some important purposes.
5.Never get into fist fight as Law will always be against You because you physically assaulted the person and if something happens to that person You will held responsible for crime. so precaution is better than Cure

@suhaas - I know how you feel after this incident and I also had similar incident in Belgaum , Karnataka about 5 years ago where I paid Rs1000/- .this we have to live with it and blaming people of particular city is no use.I can blame migrant people in Delhi for all the mess but I know they are not real culprits. its just an organised Crime which Officials repeatedly turn a blind Eye

The root cause of problem is money and where there is money there is crime.

Regards
FrozeninTime
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

This is very frustrating to read and is by all means a highly punishable offence. What I am led to think is, I have a strong feeling that this is some kind of organized crime

Let me relate my incident, my wife faced some time back when driving the car.

There was a guy carrying a battery on his bike, and as he came along her, the battery fell over and he also fell in the middle
of the road. My wife was going quite slowly and she stopped just in time. All of a sudden, around 7 auto walahs pulled my wife out of the car and this guy was saying all sorts of crap. They tried to assault her and then threw her phone and guess what they did next. Since she was still in the car, they pushed the car in a ditch along with her in it, for no bloody reason

And the sad thing is that not one stopped to help her. Immediately, my wife could make out that they were aksing the motorcycle guy to go and then all of sudden in a flash they all dissappeared. Later my wife realized her watch was stolen in the fiasco

She was too shocked and traumatized and called me on my phome and I rushed from office, hoping to probably run over the person with my other car, if I was there in time. I asked her to wait in front of apollo hospital, as she had almsot gone into shock. In the meanwhile a good friend of mine had reached her before me, and as soon as i reached we called for medical assistance. Thankfully nothing bad came out of the incident

Anyway, I was glad the auto guys went away in time, cause if i got there, i would have ripped them and anyone else apart. India has such has along way to go when it comes to civic sense and no matter where one is in india, there are bound to be incidents like this.

Reading your story also reminds me of the similar incident. They plan it and try to take advantage of the element of surprise, use local language to garner support etc. The fact that the motor cycle guy never stopped despite seeing you shows his intent

What do we do to avoid this:-

>Sometimes, we feel like beating up the person, but i guess we shuld stay calm. Never know what they are capable of
>Call 100 at the earliest and report it. Even if the local cops are in it, calling 100 will make it more offical and it is a recorded event, where you can later fight in court as well
> Leave ego aside. U do not become less of a man, if you did not end up hitting the other person, no matter how much they abuse you. I am not saying dont get into fist fights, If required, gladly due so, but ensure we have a cool head and act with sound intinct and tact

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th December 2010 at 19:21. Reason: leave out the region centric and sensitive discussions please.
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:10   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Sad to hear about the unfortunate incident. Good that you got away with paying 450 Rupees, forget aboout it and move on.
Thank you Latheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
One more instance of road rage that is becoming the most common thing on Indian roads...

...Futile thought to expect the cops to do anything about it.
You're absolutely right HVK Sir. It could have gotten much worse. And I'm thankful I got away unhurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Hey Suhaas, sincere regards for what happened, don't think too much about it yaar...

...Hope the coming festive season takes the stress off, party hard
Thank you for the kind words Nirmal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
sad to hear the mental agony, but glad that there wasnt any physical damage to you OR your car. The damage was monetary at 450 bucks.

Time to move on with life with lessons from this episode.
It was just Rs. 450. I do thank my stars that it wasn't anything else. But the damage was emotional and mental rather than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
An incidence happened with our HR in Pune:

"I would like to describe an incident that happened to me yesterday in the evening on my way back home...

...So I kindly request all of you who travel alone / going home late / passing through lonely roads to be very careful and **DO NOT ** stop for any reason. Please pass on this message to as many people as possible."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Absolutely right Pavan! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
I feel sad that someone was harassed so bad and got away easily.
Exactly! The fact that you could have done something but didn't, and you can't do much now, really hurts your ego! I wish I had handled it differently. But I'm glad it's over and I'm out of it, safe and secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Suhas bad luck mate! am sure you will get over it soon...
Thank you Lohit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post

@suhaas
I completely feel you man, i myself have been a victim of these things. For some reason, if you drive a car, no matter what happens on the road your driving in, some how your responsible for it.
So very true! Thank you RPOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
First of all am really sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.

I remember not to long ago probably a few months.
We were driving down north main rd in pune...

...Just wanted to share this incident of ours. Cause it reminded me so much of it after reading yours.

So please call the cops immediately next time and loudly so everyone can hear. Also please dont carry a baseball bat as violence does not solve anything. Judging by your cool and calm nature it doesnt suit you.

I can really understand the feeling you went through with like 15 odd people going against you. People are just so frustrated and have nothing better to do. And to top that they all want free entertainment.

My wife feels that these are pro con guys. They know how to fake it and their main objective is to get some money out of you. Also they work in a team and are interested in your personal belongings left in your car too. So always make sure you lock your car immediately.

Also am sure you must have had your turn indicator on indicating your turn. But i also stick my hand out in these situations just to be safe.

Whats done is done. Move on now. Wishing you many more miles of happy motoring.

Drive safe.

Regards

mash
I will cherish and value this post! I shall take your incident as an example that I must follow in case, Godforbid, something like this happens again. Thank you!

- Will not carry a weapon!
- Will call 100 and speak as loudly as I can!

- I did have the presence of mind to lock my car's doors after parking it. People do take interest in anything they find inside. So I pat myself on the back for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
What a coincidence! yesterday a case of Road Rage Happened and the Victim being me this Time. Those who are citizens of Delhi may be Knowing that daily there is either a assault on Women or a Road Rage which has reached Zenith proportion.

At around 1:45pm yesterday,
@suhaas - I know how you feel after this incident and I also had similar incident in Belgaum , Karnataka about 5 years ago where I paid Rs1000/- .this we have to live with it and blaming people of particular city is no use.I can blame migrant people in Delhi for all the mess but I know they are not real culprits. its just an organised Crime which Officials repeatedly turn a blind Eye

The root cause of problem is money and where there is money there is crime.

Regards
FrozeninTime
FrozeninTime,

I'm sorry to hear about your incident. Such things are rampant everywhere, so I have learnt. Thank you, and I shall value your suggestions and advice! Thanks, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
This is very frustrating to read and is by all means a highly punishable offence. What I am led to think is, I have a strong feeling that this is some kind of organized crime

Let me relate my incident, my wife faced some time back when driving the car.

There was a guy carrying a battery on his bike...

...Thankfully nothing bad came out of the incident

But, this is the reality in bangalore of late and seems to be the modus operandi for this so called hi tech city. Anyway, I was glad the auto guys went away in time, cause if i got there, i would have ripped them and anyone else apart. India has such has along way to go when it comes to civic sense and no matter where one is in india, there are bound to be incidents like this.

Reading your story also reminds me of the similar incident...

...If required, gladly due so, but ensure we have a cool head and act with sound intinct and tact
I'm sorry to hear about your incident thedreamcatcher.

This is very rampant in all parts of the country and it much be dealt with by us, citizens. If we don't step up, then who will? Thank you for sharing your incident and thank you for your suggestions and advice. I shall value them! Many thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow BHPian Captain Slow had PM'ed me, saying that I should not take this lying low. And I agree with him. I do not have that much faith in our system, but I want to make people aware of such incidents.

That's why, I've drafted a mail explaining the incident to Bangalore Mirror, along with the link to this thread. Let's see what comes out of it. I don't have anything to lose anyway.

Many have said that it's just Rs. 450 and it's nothing and I must let it go. For one thing, yes it's a small amount and not much. But I value every penny. Besides, I don't earn yet, and it's my father's hard earned money that went into the wrong hands for no reason or fault of mine.

Anyway, this is not about the money. This is about my dignity that was hurt, in the full view of the public, who couldn't have cared less about what was happening to me!

Thank you for your support, everyone! Much appreciated!

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th December 2010 at 19:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks