Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 21:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Attacked with a BRICK at Traffic Signal !!!

One can imagine the plight of the person sitting in the car, unable to get down to get hold of/stop the guy. It may, on the hindsight, look funny but the anger,frustration and fear of damage to car are very real.

I too had experienced something like that a couple of times but the stones did not hit the car. The drunk did not have the strength.

Once I was swung at with a stick while I was on my bike but I escaped by luck. The stick-wielder was a mentally-challenged person, so I left it at that.

My friend was not so lucky. He was given a couple of strokes with a cane while we were walking on a busy street by a mentally - challenged person. This was a long time ago, while we were still in school.
Old 18th January 2011, 07:25   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

2 years or so ago one evening around 7 ish my wife and I were taking a U turn near Marathahalli on our way to visit a friend. There was a wine shop on the other side of the road.
Suddenly we heard my rear door open and a funny chap barged in and sat down all the while mumbling something in an incoherent manner.
I completed the U turn, stopped the car just after the Wine shop, opened the rear door and dragged the fellow out immediately. He ran off and hid behind the Wine shop. All the passers by started laughing, saying the fellow was drunk and hence behaved strangely.
We also laughed with the rest of the world and sped off quickly.
Since then I ve installed the AutoCop auto central lock, which ensures no one can barge in. IN crowded areas I always have the AC on. Also at traffic lights. Because I dont want those nasty transgenders sticking their hands in and generally creating a nuisance.

Unfortunately the divide between the "haves" and "have-nots" has widened considerably these last 10 years or so. Even if guys like us dont strictly classify as being in the "super-haves" list, it is true that we do inspire jealousy, anger, frustration etc from the unfortunate "have-nots". Worst is when there is a lady in the vehicle.

Hence, the only way that I know to avoid the chaos is to practice extreme prudence at all times and to avoid as far as possible, the use of the public roads in the late evenings unless one hires a driver OR a 4 hour/6 hour taxi-cab service. It is simply not worth it to take one's own car out later in the evening without being accompanied by a driver or other deterrent measure of this kind.
Yes it is expensive, but in my opinion, it is worth the peace of mind.
Old 18th January 2011, 07:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

What a horrible experience. Bangalore seems to have gone rapidly downhill since I used to live there. I had my window smashed in (accidentally) by a brick that fell from a construction site at Madiwala once. Went straight to the cops, who held the foreman at Koramangala police station till the "seth" turned up and compensated me for the damage. But this kind of scary stuff is a first. THankfully there was nobody in your back seat- they would have been badly scared.
Old 18th January 2011, 07:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Unfortunately the divide between the "haves" and "have-nots" has widened considerably these last 10 years or so. Even if guys like us dont strictly classify as being in the "super-haves" list, it is true that we do inspire jealousy, anger, frustration etc from the unfortunate "have-nots". Worst is when there is a lady in the vehicle.
Yes. The gap between the rich and poor is definitely increasing at alarming rate. Unfortunately, rich grow richer, and poor grow poorer.

And to the inflation, prices of essential commodities all rise. And hence this is gonna be a never ending scenario.

But, government has to take responsibility for this kind of activity. It not only clearly says they failed to bridge the gap. But also, failed to keep the city safe.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Man. Reading all these incidents daily, I am thinking twice about venturing out of the house these days.

I roll up my window, out on some good music and just dont bother what happens outside. If someone horns loud, i just move to the side and let him go by, if they curse me, i still dont bother. If there is a jam or a chaotic free for all, i generally park for a few minutes ahead of the jam, wait till its settles donw a bit and then go on

I prefer to be safe than get unnecessary tension

You never know, this guy could have done that in an attempt to get you out, while you leave ur car open and while ou move to the back, someone takes away your laptop, mobile or whatever. Or if they are brazen enough, get in and drive away with your car
Old 18th January 2011, 23:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
In Delhi / NCR, sometimes kids knock at the opposite window or tries to scratch the body of the car, when driver comes out of the car to see or chase the kid, another person tooks the valuables (like mobile, wallet, cash, laptop etc) from the car and just vanish in the traffic. They target the cars having 1 person only.

I am at hearing this.

Something similar happened on 16th Jan (incidentally my birthday too),
We were four occupants in the Car and I was driving @80kmph. I spotted kids (barely 5-6 years from slums) having stones in their hand and were in the process of hurling it at us. I didn't try to stop as I would not be able to and the Car was hit. My diamond white Figo got 4 marks of a mm or two in width at the rear door at right.

Stopping and having a word wouldn't help as the damage had been done. I moved on with a sigh, but still that moment is haunting me and I wish, had i slowed down, they might have fled and not hit the Car.

I am heart broken
Old 18th January 2011, 23:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am heart broken
Trust me my heart sank when the goon started to pound my rear windscreen and the side windows with a brick. I was just praying the glass should not crack. The first thought was the safety of my figo and then everything came last. Yes i was alone in the car and hence this thought. If my family was in the car i would have probably stepped out and thrashed the guy black and blue...
Old 18th January 2011, 23:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
i was caught completely by surprise and hope this does not happen to any one. Phew what a day!!!
A very sad experience indeed. Even if you caught hold of that guy and given him a whack, I am sure you would not have felt relieved. So leave that thought aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Trust me my heart sank when the goon started to pound my rear windscreen and the side windows with a brick. I was just praying the glass should not crack. The first thought was the safety of my figo and then everything came last. Yes i was alone in the car and hence this thought. If my family was in the car i would have probably stepped out and thrashed the guy black and blue...
A strict no. When you are with your family, you should always play it safe. Your car is secondary in this situation. You can buy another one. Always act judiciously when you are with your wife and kids( actually you are compromised).
Old 18th January 2011, 23:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Actually, when your family is in, your thought should be to get them to safety first. Very hard to do at the fit of the moment, but we should consciously try to do that. When we are alone, we can still risk, though I would not recommend it under and circumstance

Forget car, this was an incident that happend to me and another I witnessed

I was once walking in a fairly crowded area, along with a friend of mine. There was a deranged man walking towards us. None of us noticed anyting strange and we didnt even notice him until after the incident. The incident!! Well, just when this guy comes close to us, for no reason he just lands a solid punch into my stomach. I was too stunned and so was my friend to react. He was too dirty to even think of hitting him back. We just moved on. To make matters worse, I kind of had a full bladder. So one can imagine the pain out of surprise

The second one I observed in Bangalore, just opposite Infinity Millenia Towers. I had gone there to meet another Investment Bankign client and was on the way out waiting for the company car to pick us up. On the other side of the road, a mad guy was swearing and hurling abuses and stones at people passing by

He then took a huge stone and flung it brazenly across the road. Thankfully it never fell on anyone and hit a water tanker that was passing by. Swa a lot of people getting infuriated with him. Not sure what happend after that, as the car had come by then and we were happy to get out of his kill zone

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 18th January 2011 at 23:44.
Old 18th January 2011, 23:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post

I was once walking in a fairly crowded area, along with a friend of mine. There was a deranged man walking towards us. None of us noticed anyting strange and we didnt even notice him until after the incident. The incident!! Well, just when this guy comes close to us, for no reason he just lands a solid punch into my stomach. I was too stunned and so was my friend to react. He was too dirty to even think of hitting him back. We just moved on. To make matters worse, I kind of had a full bladder. So one can imagine the pain out of surprise

The second one I observed in Bangalore, just opposite Infinity Millenia Towers. I had gone there to meet another Investment Bankign client and was on the way out waiting for the company car to pick us up. On the other side of the road, a mad guy was swearing and hurling abuses and stones at people passing by

He then took a huge stone and flung it brazenly across the road. Thankfully it never fell on anyone and hit a water tanker that was passing by. Swa a lot of people getting infuriated with him. Not sure what happend after that, as the car had come by then and we were happy to get out of his kill zone
Seems like you are not just a dream catcher but a stone/punch catcher too.
Old 19th January 2011, 00:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

^^ LOL. Stonecatcher. Hmmm. Sounds nice. Mods, can I change my handle. Nah, thought about it, DCatch is better.

The second incident, I was just a bystander, thankfully on the opposite side of the road. But the punch and judy show incident, is something I would never want to experience again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks