Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 10:51   #1
BHPian

Signal Jumped

Today morning while coming to work, I happen to accidently jump the signal near Crown Plaza, Electronic City. I was very slow about 20kmph or less and the last ones when the lights turned red. The cop comes in front of me asks somthing in Kanada, sounds like "are you blind?" types. I told him its my fault was thinking about work which I really was, no argument, no exchange of anything. He notes my number while I keep pleading innocence. There are normally these marshals with them and he tells me to move on, I look at the cop and he does not even respond and makes a hand signal to move on.

My querry, from the looks of it the cop let me go but I have a feeling they would send a notice home or create problems later, I've heard from friends that such small things go against you say for eg while selling your car in case of transfers etc. Secondly I currently dont live at the registered address that I have on the DL and RC.

I would like to make that extra effort to clear any fines against me and get this off my back rather than repent later. Any thoughts ideas?
Old 19th January 2011, 11:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Signal Jumped

Check the following site after a few days to see if there are any fines on the name of your vehicle. Bangalore Traffic police has gone hi-tech these days. If there is a fine, i think you can even pay the fine online. If there is a fine, pay it and forget about it. It is nothing to worry too much for.

BTIS - Traffic Fines
Old 19th January 2011, 11:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Today morning while coming to work, I happen to accidently jump the signal near Crown Plaza, Electronic City. I was very slow about 20kmph or less and the last ones when the lights turned red. The cop comes in front of me asks somthing in Kanada, sounds like "are you blind?" types. I told him its my fault was thinking about work which I really was, no argument, no exchange of anything. He notes my number while I keep pleading innocence. There are normally these marshals with them and he tells me to move on, I look at the cop and he does not even respond and makes a hand signal to move on.

My querry, from the looks of it the cop let me go but I have a feeling they would send a notice home or create problems later, I've heard from friends that such small things go against you say for eg while selling your car in case of transfers etc. Secondly I currently dont live at the registered address that I have on the DL and RC.

I would like to make that extra effort to clear any fines against me and get this off my back rather than repent later. Any thoughts ideas?
Check out the Bangalore City Traffic Violations website after a couple of days.

Search for Traffic Violations

If a ticket was booked retrospectively, it would show there. Pay up, and move on. And don't worry, a minor traffic offense is not going to blemish your car's records.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just check the site after few days. If the fine is noted, pay it online.

No need to worry
Attached Thumbnails
Signal Jumped-traffic-violation.jpg  

Old 19th January 2011, 11:54   #5
BHPian

Oh thanks a lot never knew online fine payment was available. Something that makes me cheerful is bribe is out. Really thanks a lot guys.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to make that extra effort
i would suggest you to please make an effort to be attentive on the road and abide by the traffic rules. You are supposed to stop when the lights turns orange ( few place,its yellow). No excuse mate, for such acts.

You make a mistake and why plead innocence? The cop is right in asking "If you were blind", if he has asked so.

The idea here is to avoid being fined in the first place. Come to think about it !!
Old 19th January 2011, 12:24   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
i would suggest you to please make an effort to be attentive on the road and abide by the traffic rules. You are supposed to stop when the lights turns orange ( few place,its yellow). No excuse mate, for such acts.

You make a mistake and why plead innocence? The cop is right in asking "If you were blind", if he has asked so.

The idea here is to avoid being fined in the first place. Come to think about it !!
I beg to differ with many things here.

Kartikk never pleaded innocense. He admitted it is his fault with the cop and he didn't argue also.

Cop has no right to ask "Are you blind". Kartikk broke a traffic law wittingly or unwittingly. That doesn't call for derogatory sentences from any cop or any moron for that matter of fact. Going one step ahead, as per the draconian indian legal system, we are all innocent till proven guilty.

The mistake IMHO here is not jumping a signal which was the end result. The bigger mistake is tailgating across a traffic signal.

Trust me, back in US, when I've jumped a few signals myself as the last person, it is because I'm with a flow and caught in a stop or go confusion. If I stop, the person behind me might rear end me. If I go, I might jump the red light. But there's a time delay at the other signals to turn green. They don't turn green immediately after mine turns red. This ensures that other's don't jump the gun and let the one person who is caught in this scenario safely get across. The second guy who tries tail gating will get pulled over (or hit by vehicle coming from other side).

Alas, in India, especially in Pune, we have smart alecs gunning their throttles and movign ahead with the red light counter goes down to 4 or 5 seconds itself and doesn't wait for a full green.

Kartikk. That's brave of you to accept your mistake in a forum where people practice impeccable road manners and advocate it! Shows your passion to follow rules! Keep it up pal.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I beg to differ with many things here.

==============
Kartikk. That's brave of you to accept your mistake in a forum where people practice impeccable road manners and advocate it! Shows your passion to follow rules! Keep it up pal.
Always, always slow down for a signal, esp. if it's open and empty because:

1. Unless there's a clock, there's no way to gauge the time left.
2. Signals always tend to turn RED when you try to hurry across
3. On an empty green signal at an intersection, there will always be impatient guys on other sides who'll shoot off while their signal is still Red/Orange.

Fight that urge to sneak across with the flow. It's much safer to wait for the next turn. Doesn't take more than 2-3 minutes at max.

P.S. I did this once myself (sneaking across a green signal-turning-yellow-as- you-pass thing), and almost ran over an impatient guy who had jumped his signal on the left. Immediate note to self, NEVER DO IT AGAIN.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th January 2011 at 15:12. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for short replies. Also use Report post to notify mod team
Old 19th January 2011, 13:22   #9
BHPian

Kartikk, do confirm if you are fined only for signal jumping. Also check the fine amount if it is as per the rules, as there are different charges for different violations. Heard from my friend that sometimes the cops use to play around in this and charge for different violation. So it is better to pay the fine then and there and get the bill right away.
Old 19th January 2011, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Karthik its good that your realized your folly, hope you have learnt the lesson albeit a hard way.

I know sometimes the urge to move along with the traffic although the signals are changing is very much but would request you to refrain from it. I have observed one peculiar thing is that if some one jumps a signal and the road ahead is empty the cops take the charge. However in the same condition if the road ahead is a bit more crowded then they hesitate to stop the offender. Also if the no of signal jumpers is large then no action by cops. In my city when the traffic starts to move with 15 secs still to go for the signal to change to Green, how will the cops ever catch the offenders at all?
Old 19th January 2011, 14:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Thanks for those kind words Nandan, actually I was not protesting against the fine, I knew my mistake and admit it, the worry was whether this cop would take advantage of not knowing the local language and later come to harass me, I mean even on this forum I've read about such things happening time and again, the carrot now and the stick later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Thanks MX, the advantage of obeying traffic rules all the time I'v had is no straches, dents and the other bonues one gets with speeding (Touchwood)

I know some states in the US eg, Delaware has speed sensing signals like if you are the last one the signal stays green untill no one is left, or depending on the junction high-speed lanes have higher priority and remain green longer than red. I'm sure these would be in India soon.

I'd definately would want to have a clean record and will update if I've been fined.

Thanks everyone
Kartik
Old 19th January 2011, 14:40   #12
BHPian

Karthikk: Brave of you for admitting to your mistake, so many of us advicing others of their wrong doings/mistakes dont have the courage of admitting - so kudos.

regarding this particular signal - I have personally seen the cops and the 'helpers' sitting and consolidating their 'collection' for the day onto their 'worksheet' during their breaks / free time. So rest assured, if the cop has noted your number then please check the above web site / check your correspondence address (for the vehicle regn number) / or check at the RTO later (say a week later)

I would like to quote my experience: The signal from Electrnics city phase 1 touching hosur road - near by start of NICE road, the signal behaves strangely. This signal turn green first for people coming from ECity then suddenly turns RED for 10-15 seconds, then starts showing free left. This (red between green and free left) in my opinion could have been avoided and this is diligently used by cops to grab some quick fines and money. I was also a victim once where the cop jumped in front of me - I reached near him when the signal was 'turning red', when I spoke to him in kannada he cooled down, checked my license ONLY, slowly went to his bike, asked me to wait in my vehicle, came back with a small print out (similar to ATM prints) and I paid 100 Rs.

so things happen - dont worry

Cheers
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 19th January 2011 at 14:41. Reason: spell check
Old 19th January 2011, 14:55   #13
BHPian

Things happen in Bangalore. For a minor signal jump, nothing more to worry other than check the website mentioned above.

There was an instance when i went in the wrong direction in a one way. The one way board was hardly visible, and i was surprised to have missed it - however, it was atleast partially my mistake and argued with the police constable about the nearly invisible sign. Although he apologised for it, he said he will have to fine me. I agreed, and he was waiting for the inspector to come. I had some urgent work, and so asked him to go ahead and send a notice to my address.

Few days later, i check the Bangalore Police website, and to my shock there are 2 violations - one for a one way, and the other for Dangerous Driving. I can vouch for the fact that i had driven not more than 50 meters, at 20kmph on this road, as i was searching for an address. Had i been there with the fine was imposed, i think it would not have been the case. It appears that the inspector or whoever imposed the fine, thought that it was too high handed of me to say "i dont have time".
Old 19th January 2011, 16:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I cannot pay my electricity/phone bills online, and you guys in Bangalore can pay off a ticket online?. Cool..

btw, Karthik, its nice of you "to make that extra effort" and pay off fines.

Be watchful next time. One must never drive under the influence of drugs, alcohol and stress. All are equally dangerous.
Old 19th January 2011, 16:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

Good thing with the fines being paid.

But as others have mentioned, guess it is better to stay there and pay it then itself. The language barrier could make it complicated.

I had a brush with this once : I was on my way to office. At the Big Bazaar signal just before ITPL, there's mostly a queue of Volvos. Now, these guys being mighty as they are, will always stand parallel to each other. When the signal turns green, one Volvo will zoom ahead and take the right turn; the other one will wait till the first has crossed and then move (the turn is sharp so only 1 would fit). Now as you are at the signal, there is slight bump on the road. So, if you are behind a Volvo, there is NO way you can see the signal till the bus has taken the turn. I got stuck this way one; the alarm (that the signal has turned red) went off after my car left my lane and I was into the turn. Promptly, the cops asked me to stop. There was NO way I could explain. The notorious inspector there, Narasappa or something, knew he had me when I couldn't speak in Kannada. When I asked him to let me go this one time, he said "Giving a chance is the Education Dept. job, this is the Police Dept.".

I gave him piece of my mind, paid 100 bucks and went off.

Agreed we should not break rules etc. etc. but there are also many incidents where cops take you for a jolly ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks