Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 20:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: ‘Camera traps' in (Thiruvananthapuram) city to nab traffic violators

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
I agree with the NH part in Kerala. What about the MC road? Also recently there have been plenty of improvements in maintaining roads. We should give credit where it needs.
Regards
I'll give credit for surfacing alone on MC Road but it is still narrow and slow by any stretch, NH 47 has parts that haven't changed from the time I was going to school, more than 2 decades now. The government should have planned for expansion long time ago as it is the main artery for trade and traffic.

Rural roads certainly have improved and tourism has the spin off benefit of having good signboards all around. If you drive around at night, sometimes they stop you and ask for name and contact details after noting your number, its one of the more effective forms of law enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Number of violations coming down - that's the whole point, isn't it? I don't think police/govt are looking at it as a money-making tool - atleast they shouldn't be.
Ideally, but I mentioned targets which means cops targetting you to meet their financial obligations(if there is such a thing). The camera/fines is what pays their way, unfortunately that makes the private car owner a revenue stream
Old 27th July 2012, 20:26   #17
BHPian

Yes, the MC road is the only visible sign of road development in kerala.
But still it is inferior when compared to the roads of TN and KA
Old 29th July 2012, 02:54   #18
BHPian

I agree with Sandeep. No chance for harrassment here. The officials at the control room never happens to see the face of the offender, who just have to pay the fine before the deadline. Once the penalty is levied, no more deals.
Old 9th May 2013, 09:11   #19
BHPian

The traffic police is installing speed cameras (every 5km ?) in the Kazhakootam- Kovalam bypass. I noticed that they had installed metallic strips in front of the camera posts. So does that mean that one will get caught only if he crosses the strips exceeding the speed limit. The obvious result is that the regular travellers on the route would slow down exactly before the camera post and then pick off.
It would be only the long distance drivers who would be unaware of the camera locations who get caught. I would have assumed that having a radar based system would have been an effective detterent for all since one can only guess the range of the radar.
Old 9th May 2013, 22:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
The traffic police is installing speed cameras (every 5km ?) in the Kazhakootam- Kovalam bypass. I noticed that they had installed metallic strips in front of the camera posts. So does that mean that one will get caught only if he crosses the strips exceeding the speed limit. The obvious result is that the regular travellers on the route would slow down exactly before the camera post and then pick off.
It would be only the long distance drivers who would be unaware of the camera locations who get caught. I would have assumed that having a radar based system would have been an effective detterent for all since one can only guess the range of the radar.
Yes Even I am doing the same trick. I just reduce the speed to below 75 before entering the sight of the 'one above' and after that as you said. But its not completely stupid, as they can hit the long distance drivers who are plenty on the route. Even we regular drivers may get caught some or other time.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 9th May 2013 at 22:45.
Old 28th May 2013, 00:20   #21
BHPian

System to spot speedsters in real time

Quote:
A central monitoring station (CMS) linked to a state-of-the-art traffic surveillance system will soon enable the Kerala Police to detect, identify, and prosecute motorists who violate the legal speed limits on eight most accident-prone road stretches in the State.
Quote:
Field surveillance units, an array of active magnetic sensors buried below the road surface and Doppler radars (both to estimate vehicle speed), will be installed every 7 km on the stretches. They will be linked to overhead surveillance cameras.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle4747313.ece

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks