Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 19:15   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Story of Pajero Theft

GTABombay: Think of releasing a Wanted Pajero ad in the classifieds of some newspaers or the like in neighbouring places like Pune or similar. Wild guess, it may break through.
Old 4th February 2011, 19:15   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
how did bblost get the pic of the guy??
+1 on that. Imran, how did you lay your hands on that pic?

This is turning into a suspense thriller. Cops do mostly work hands in glove with these racketers, but sometimes, they do solve the cases, especially, when you have a zillion proofs handy.
Old 4th February 2011, 20:24   #108
BHPian

My guess is BBLOST (as a mod) must have helped GTABOMBAY to upload the pictures since the OP's might still be moderated till a post count threshold is reached.
Old 4th February 2011, 20:37   #109
Team-BHP Support

I found the picture via Google. Google knows everything.

Last edited by bblost : 4th February 2011 at 20:40.
Old 4th February 2011, 21:00   #110
BHPian

I am taking very short break from the chronicles of Nasrat, and going to give you a piece on the art of stealing cars.

There are three ways to steal a car:

1. Hot wiring.

This is usually done for cars when they want to cannibalise it. There are very few ways to prevent the thief from hot wiring your car. But it is a bit messy and will attract attention. So very few cases of it happening in India with high value vehicles.

2. Duplicate key.

This is the easiest method if you are an expert key maker. This is Nasrat's MO. What you do is pry out the lock of the boot or the rear door. This is easily done with a special tool in less than 10 seconds. Sit in your vehicle and make the key. With ready made blanks and appropriate equipment you can make a key in 10 minutes. Open the door normally and drive off. It only works with certain models Like Scorpio, Pajero, Santro, Verna, Tavera, Bolero etc, where the key is made from a single piece of metal and also where the locks are easy to pull out. Once the duplicate key is ready there is little to stop you.
In the case of Nasrat he hardly ever gets into a stolen car. This is done by the lifter. The lifter leaves it in an unsuspecting parking lot while waiting for the receiver to send his own driver from out of state. These days he even has drivers on the ready staying in some hotel on the highway. The receiver's driver takes the car and drives out of state with fake number plates. This is the riskiest phase, so even if he gets caught he has no idea about either the sender or receiver.

Many cars with GPS tracking used be caught initially during the cooling period, now they have become aware of it and manage to disable it on the way.

3. Original Key

With modern keys and immobilised engines you have to get the original key to steal the car. There are many cases where the keys are stolen first and many days (even months) later the vehicle is stolen with the original key itself from the owner's parking lot. In this case you are worse off because without producing all your original keys your insurance claim will get rejected. So if you lose your keys, don't revert to the spare keys. Just get your locks changed pronto. And file a missing complaint with the police.

All these types of thefts can be prevented by using a modern version of the 'chor' switch. After much research I have come across two such systems that are fool proof against most types of theft. Unfortunately both are not available in India.

BTW : I am happy to be a BHPian. Thank you all.

Last edited by gtabombay : 4th February 2011 at 21:22.
gtabombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2011, 21:10   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtabombay View Post
All these types of thefts can be prevented by using a modern version of the 'chor' switch. After much research I have come across two such systems that are fool proof against most types of theft. Unfortunately both are not available in India.
Nice detailed write up - it shows how much effort you have put into this. Can you tell us more about these systems? It would be helpful to bring them when abroad or just get them shipped to India
Old 4th February 2011, 21:15   #112
Senior - BHPian

Can you share what are the two types of switches.

Amazing narration! Its exciting and at the same time a very very sad state of affairs in india to read about.

we generally believe that gear locks and steering locks are good deterrents against theft.But like in your case.You just went out for a few minutes.You are not expected to install a manual lock for even going out for a few minutes.

Very very sad indeed.Makes us feel helpless in this country.Especially because even when we do get insurance we still get ripped off with the money gotten from the insurance.
Old 4th February 2011, 21:20   #113
BHPian

There are some good cops out there, they are so ashamed they hide their faces when I go to meet them. The system has totally demoralised them.
The photo is from the driving license, which was used as the ID proof while opening the account in 2005.

Last edited by gtabombay : 4th February 2011 at 21:24.
Old 4th February 2011, 21:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

did u even see this nasrat personally? did the police catch hold of him even once?
police have busted so many rackets. why are they shying from catching this person?

you left your story incomplete. so am in dark what happened
Old 4th February 2011, 21:39   #115
BHPian

According Bajaj Allianz insurance investigator Ford and Toyota vehicles are the least stolen. I will get back to Nasrat story shortly.

Meanwhile he is in Mumbai well aware that he is being tracked. On Monday he threatened some cab driver with dire consequences for informing on him at the Borivali Station. He is on the prowl. If you see him ever, just mail me on gtabombay@gmail.com

Last edited by gtabombay : 4th February 2011 at 21:49.
Old 4th February 2011, 21:58   #116
BHPian

Still no answer to the big question about Pajero having a moving code immobilizer. They should provide one with a vehicle that costs 20L.

You have to be careful with thieves. Make sure that you have at least two extra security features than the just the key. I have heard cases where workshops have made duplicates and vehicle gets stolen after weeks and months. After all the workshop has your key number and your address. Very common with Scorpios and Honda citys. Also get the windows and alloys etched, it costs only a hundred rupees but is a good deterrent.

I usually make sure that I gear lock my car even for short stays in official parking lots.

Also do post your engine and chassis number on the forum so that the members can alert you if they see a pajero with these numbers for sale.
Old 4th February 2011, 22:13   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Still no answer to the big question about Pajero having a moving code immobilizer. They should provide one with a vehicle that costs 20L.
Pajero has the worst locking system. No immobiliser and the central locking system has no alarm.
Old 4th February 2011, 22:18   #118
Senior - BHPian

Very soon we will have to use clamps for locking the wheel. The kind that the RTO uses when they cannot tow vehicles
Old 4th February 2011, 22:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the experience and learnings. It shows how unsafe our cars and lives are in the current set up. It makes sense to have a car with immobilizer considering how easy it is to make a duplicate key.

I admire your determination to catch the culprit with all the odds against you.
Old 4th February 2011, 22:25   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtabombay View Post
Pajero has the worst locking system. No immobiliser and the central locking system has no alarm.
Surprising. Even the humble Alto comes with immobiliser.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed