Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 18:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Trip to NURBURGRING

Danke

Have you any idea how crowded it would be in May/June? I'm guessing as much as a zoo? Or is the traffic manageable?
Old 8th January 2012, 20:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it possible to rent a nice car like a Porsche or RWD M3/M5 (old gen will do fine!) and take that on track?

Any hassles with insurance? I mean, I know insurance wont cover the damage on track, but I wont be fined or anything right?
Old 8th January 2012, 23:07   #18
BHPian

Yes, you can rent pretty much any kind of car at the 'ring - costs scale with the kind of car. Bigger cars also consume more fuel. By all accounts the smaller cars are more fun for noobs, and you can chuck them around the track pretty quick. Also a great way to get used to the track. There are plenty of terrible bumps the videos and the games don't do justice to. some of those bumps can quite literally kill you. There are also sections that have speed limits (!) on Tourist days.

Track damage and stoppage cost equally, immaterial of what kind of vehicle caused it.

And it's hellishly expensive More expensive than repairing cars, actually.

Insurance on track cars (compulsory for the most part) covers only part of damage. A wipeout, for example, will require the driver to pay a significant part of the cost. Smaller damage may be largely covered.

These guys are very helpful: Nordschleife race car rentals at the Nurburgring | Rent4Ring
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 09:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

Dont even try renting a hertz and avis sports car. If they see it on the ring - you are toast!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 10:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

wow, when in germany i bought a 50 euro ticket just to watch the few ending hours in the Nurburgring. the noise and roar of the engine made me tickle everywhere

you drove on one of the best tracks, i bet this must be a lifetime experience.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Video of my first lap at the 'Ring

Old 12th January 2012, 10:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Video of my first lap at the 'Ring
So you finally did it?? Wow!! Waiting for more details as to which cars and your experience..
Old 12th January 2012, 10:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Actually this video is from 2007 when I was there during my Europe Road-Trip. I managed to visit Mercedes in Stuttgart, Belgian F1 Grand Prix, Karting in Kerpen and of course, 8 magical laps around the 'Ring in a Suzuki Swift Sport

I rented the car from Rent 4 Race for 1/2 day and it was raining quite heavily throughout the 8 laps so I was glad i was in a FWD car . I got to see many cars going sideways through the corners and an M3 was almost perpendicular to the track right in front of me at one stage. I did get into the groove and start overtaking cars towards the end of my stint but you can never have enough track-time at this place.

The playstation experience just doesn't prepare you for the rapid elevation changes and off-camber corners (which are a majority on this track).

A must for any petrolhead. I am going again this September and this time I will rent an M3 / Caterham / Ariel
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed