Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2006, 22:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

My advise,
Stay in your car if there is no space to move and if a mob approaches, carry a fake gun.
Old 5th January 2006, 23:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
My advise,
Stay in your car if there is no space to move and if a mob approaches, carry a fake gun.
Carry a fake gun? Hope you aren't talking about the plastic toys..but those air pistols or BB guns could be useful.

I was just thinking. If a mob does gather...then there tends to be a leader (for the lack of a better word). What do you guys think about shouting hard agianst the leader making your point and if needed handle him physically? I was just wondering if the car-guy was to make the first move against the mob...then the mob could be intimidated and would hopefully disperse. And then he can easily take care of the victim...in whichever way needed.
Old 5th January 2006, 23:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

Hit and stay, or hit and run, the penalty is same. With hit and run you have a chance that you wont even be convicted(no witnesses, etc., etc.,)
The law says that if somebody commits suicide in front of your car you pay 50000 to the family. So you know what to do next time you meet with an accident
Old 6th January 2006, 11:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
My advise,
There is a saying from the Wild West - If you draw a gun, you better be sure to use it.

Your advice is dangerous Lambo, as there might be others with guns who would later claim they were just acting in self defence. If you do require the help of a gun, please carry the real thing (with legal clearance of course). And use it responsibly. A gun is a dangerous escalation.
Old 6th January 2006, 12:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
That won't happen. Remember the Rtech Skoda incident? You may have obeyed all rules and laws, but, if the other chap gets hurt, you're at fault. In other words, if you buy a nice, safe car, you suck!
Take some time and read my signature. It'll make sense now.
totally agree with you aditya even if the person is hurt with his own fault the mob beat up the guy who is innocent
Old 6th January 2006, 14:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Another accident involving a wrong side riding motorist....its becoming way too common....
Tackling a mob ... just run... and at night switch off your lights and zoom away..
It's happened with me it was a cyclist coming wrong side... i got down to help him and suddenly i see 20 people running to the spot shouting maro maro... no option of explaining so just sped away... thanx to my zen which saved me that day...
Old 6th January 2006, 18:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps

I was just thinking. If a mob does gather...then there tends to be a leader (for the lack of a better word). What do you guys think about shouting hard agianst the leader making your point and if needed handle him physically? I was just wondering if the car-guy was to make the first move against the mob...then the mob could be intimidated and would hopefully disperse. And then he can easily take care of the victim...in whichever way needed.
My personal experience is somewhat similar to what is mentioned above. I biker hit me in Gurgaon at around 9:30 PM. I must be driving at 70 kmph and he must be doing 60 when he suddenly emerged from one of the side lanes and hit me on the side. He crossed my car and fell on the other side. The impact shattered the glass of my car and the right side of my face was covered with blood, though it looked worse than the real injury. I parked my car a few meters away and came back to look at the biker. He was ok except he had lost a couple of front teeth. A mob collected and an old man shouted "lets get the car driver". I shouted back advancing towards him that I am the car driver... what do you want to do now. He just withdrew in the background and did not utter a word after that. I checked the biker... he was from a near by village. He apologised for driving incorrectly and we left at that!
Old 6th January 2006, 21:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
Why didn't you consider filing a police complaint against the mob of xx people? I wouldn't have paid a penny if I was beaten up, leave apart paying for hospital bills.
easier said than done, dude i think accepting that you were beaten up is stong enough. well i dont think that there is ANY advice that ANYONE can give you, coz this is a situation which is NOT under your control. . .
Old 7th January 2006, 23:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

dead men tell no tales. it's nice to hear so many smart comments from TBHPians, although TBHP may urge all of us to follow law all the times. But i guess it's better to esacpe with ones life and dignity breaking a little bit of law, rather than getting beaten up for none of our faults.
the state of afairs is really sad in this country, and i have grown up to a level where i can accept myself adjusting to it.

PS: one of my earlier (violent) posts has been removed i think, some pun was intended there.
Old 7th January 2006, 23:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
frankly, i think india is such an unsafe country that we should be taking the law in our own hands. One who kills to protect himself, should never be charged of anything, but should be medaled for his bravery! unfortunately for me, dad's the reason i am sticking my a** here if not, wud be having a lovely life back in Melb.!
Sorry for me, having to quote this to start my posting around here.. I dont know if this is flaming...but here is my 2 cent (australian?) worth... being a hyderabadi myself like the poster himself, i dont quite feel the same way. sorry for you dude, you feel that way! but then reading that comment... my immediate thought was if life in melbourne is so good why not take papa with you and have a wonderful life. hehe..
oh well.. dad might have a real big opinion then.. maybe certainly cannot be dared? (what a way to start posting..)

having said that.. i find quite a big bunch of nice folks around here. hello everybody. and belated new year wishes!.

Last edited by sridhark : 7th January 2006 at 23:57.
Old 8th January 2006, 01:43   #26
BHPian

having heard the point of discussion over here, i am a staunch beleiver of standing your ground n having ur say...not matter what...perhaps may nt be the smartest thing to do bt then if u want state of affairs to change u have got to change urself...no offfence meant bt being in a middle of an accident where u knw ur innocent shouldnt end in a faceoff...bt neither should u walkaway like a coward...it happened to me once when i was struck by a motorist at a busy street where i cleary was not at fault..n stood my ground n the culprit got the deservedly booing frm the stanby crowd...so be prepared n dont let it slip away...
Old 8th January 2006, 22:22   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumed
My personal experience is somewhat similar to what is mentioned above. I biker hit me in Gurgaon at around 9:30 PM. I must be driving at 70 kmph and he must be doing 60 when he suddenly emerged from one of the side lanes and hit me on the side. He crossed my car and fell on the other side. The impact shattered the glass of my car and the right side of my face was covered with blood, though it looked worse than the real injury. I parked my car a few meters away and came back to look at the biker. He was ok except he had lost a couple of front teeth. A mob collected and an old man shouted "lets get the car driver". I shouted back advancing towards him that I am the car driver... what do you want to do now. He just withdrew in the background and did not utter a word after that. I checked the biker... he was from a near by village. He apologised for driving incorrectly and we left at that!
Hey, Trust me when I say that u were LUCKY in this situation . I know of a friend who also had a similar accident but the end was very different . A guy on the scooter came and hit him head on, remember the guy on the scooter was TOTALLY DRUNk , my friend got out to help him and that was his biggest mistake -- People collected and before he knew what hit him he was thrammed and I mean THRAMMED by a whole mob .

END RESULT -- He ended up in hospital with a broken arm, broken rib, Black eyes and a swollen face and hair line fracture on his right ankle. His mobile, wallet and Lap Top vanished . Bill of 4000 Rs for damages to his car . On teh other hand the scooter guy didn't have a single scratch, a lil dent on his scooter which allready had a million other dents ...

So mates, its safer U run but make sure U keep a cool head while running coz sometimes when running of in a panic mode can lead to a worse situation , u hitting someone else as well .

3 months later my friend left India for the UK and I don't think he's headed back for a long time to come -- he was pretty scarred emotionally by the incident .

Cheers
Old 8th January 2006, 23:19   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
if the other chap gets hurt, you're at fault.
even if they just pretend to be hurt you're guilty, and if its a cop involvedthen you've had it, then even the sucky law changes to one that sucks even more

manson.
Old 9th January 2006, 10:03   #29
BHPian

[SIZE=2]Hey Khaadu75.. it was a very spontaneous decision to stop, help the bike driver but I was really p!##ed when that old man started shouting so it was in the spurt of the moment.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]One of my friends had a very bad experience in a similar situation. His new Esteem was hit by a scooter in GK-2 (Delhi)... nothing major but the esteem was 10 days old only. He got out and beat up the 2 guys on the scooter. After shouting at and abusing these 2 guys my friend left and got his car repaired. SIX months later a policeman came to his house with a warrent. The scotter guys had filed a hit-and-run FIR against my friend. It took him 1 year and 40 thousand ruppes to get out of that mess.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The policemen later advices my friend that in cases like this, it is always advicable to go to the nearest police station after the accident and put in a letter that your car is hit by a scooter / bike so that the other party cannot file an FIR against you![/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sorry for the long post but my friend shared his experience with me only last weekend so I thought it will be useful to Shrikar.[/SIZE]
Old 9th January 2006, 13:06   #30
BHPian

Right Procedure...

I went thru an ordeal 6 weeks back in Mangalore-Bangalore highway. A villager all of a sudden ran across the high-way, and I screamed to a halt from my cruising speed of 90km to almost 0, tires burned for about 15ft and in the end the right bumper of the car just tipping the guy down.. I got down to check on the guy, a mob of about 100 odd people gathered in no time.. The old man had suffered no more than a few scratches.. But, the mob was seriously discussing whether they should stone my car, which had my wife and kids... I told them that I'd be taking the guy to hospital, making sure nothing happened to him and would report the incident to the police.. And also told them two of them are welcome to join me in taking the guy to hospital...

At hospital i got the X-ray, CAT scan done and some medication for his injuries... Cost me 3.5K... The guys started demanding I take care of all the treatment and 5K for his loss of pay for 1 month work!! I told them I am informing the police about the incident and they are welcome to collect what ever they can through the legal path.. And, I found out the local police station number, called them up, and told them of the incidence and the hospital name and doctor name who is taking care of the person. They spoke to doctor, and when they learnt there was only superficial injury, they told me not to bother filing a FIR. They just told me to leave from there!!!

I kept getting calls for two days, from the guys asking me for compensation. I also got a call from the police station, who told me the guys were insisting on filing a case to collect money from insurance. I firmly told them they can go ahead with it, and I'll come surrender my vehicle for inspection if indeed a complaint is filed. Police told me that won't be needed as the guy wasn't hurt much, and they'll counsel the guys not to be greedy!!

Last year while taking a U turn in a traffic circle in Bangalore, I couldn't see a mobike coming in from the other side a Motor-Bike guy tried to avoid me, but lost control and fell down. The boy's ear was torn by about a centi-meter and face was a mess. Again there was a mob.. I asked for help to put him in the car, and took him to nearby hospital. The guy was very appologetic, though I too clearly had contributed to the accident. I told him I'd take care of all the expenses of the hospital, and called his family, waited till they arrived. Gave them my visiting card and asked them to contact me if anything was needed. I got a call two days later from that family - thanking me. They didn't even want me to pay the hospital bills!

We expect the absolute worst from people and police... Forgetting the fact (atleast in Karnataka) that they too are just human like us. And police follow a system. It may not be the best, and may be legthy process.. But, we rarely take recourse to such protection... We try to save ourselves time by paying up... That's largely because we are affraid of due process... But, reality is the process works, albeit slowly.

It is quite possible that we get beaten up at times, but then that can happen even within our own home... And I can't stop living fearing that. In India, it is very difficult for the law to punish a person stifly for an accident, even when he is wrong. This is what makes people upset.. If people see you taking responsibility for the accident and working towards getting the guy to hospital in most cases, you won't be physically handled... And if you have insurance you'll be covered from severe financial damages...

So, lets not propose running away as a solution - we'd only make India worse than it is... When something unfortunate happens, we should face whatever comes head on, and should be answerable only to our conscience.. And my conscience won't allow a man to be lying on the road, even if it wasn't my mistake. Even if he was drunk... Even if it wasn't an accident I was involved in...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks