Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 23:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Good that you have not used the agents to do this for you. I suppose you need to be present for the Doctor's Certificate. May be the recent ACB raids have also played its bit in the smooth process.
Yes, you need to be present in front of the doctor. Else it would be fraud!

I learnt from him today that 'very fair complexion' cannot be one of the two identification marks that I've been using so far ! He asked me to ignore it and said one is enough!

I thought identification marks were needed in gruesome incidents where one needs to identify the corpse, but perhaps I was wrong! Even he could not answer my question.
Old 15th October 2014, 13:22   #47
BHPian

My license was issued in Ernakulam RTO, Kerala. I live in Bangalore and the normal procedure to renew is to submit for the transfer and renewal in Bangalore RTO. Since my license expires in Nov 2014, I did not have much time to get it transferred to Bangalore. So I decided to get it done from Ernakulam itself while I was on vacation in Kerala. My license had an old address so I had to change it to the permanent address (in Kochi, where I had address proof). Here is the procedure for the license renewal (and address change) at Kerala RTO. Note that the renewal can be done only within 1 month of expiry.

Requirements:
1. Pay the fees online, download the application and print it. You can also visit Akshaya e-centers at various places to do the same. You also have the option to pay fees by cash at the counter in RTO office.
2. Paste passport size photos on all the forms (On Main application form, Eye test form, Medical test form)
3. Get the eye test done from an ophthalmologist.
4. Get a medical certificate from a Govt doctor.
5. If you need address change, Get the address proof attested from Gazetted officer/Notary.
6. Original driving license.
7. Self addressed envelope with ₹40 stamp. (For normal process opting for postal dispatch)

Armed with all the documents I went to the RTO office in Civil Station, Kakkanad. Reached there by 9:30 and had to wait till 10:00AM to get in. Went to the RTO office in the second floor and went to the enquiry counter to find out the procedure.

If you plan to do address change, you need to get an 'order' from a Motor Vehicle Inspector(MVI). You need to write an application on a white paper for address change and the inspector will verify the attested document and sign off in the application. This need to be submitted along with the documents at the counter. The MVIs are available only during 11AM-1PM, so plan accordingly.

If you already have a card type license, you can get the license renewed within one hour by visiting the fast track counter with all the documents. For Fast Track, you need to go to the same RTO office where your original license was issued from.

I had a book type license, so had to do normal process. You need to submit a self-addressed envelope for them to dispatch the new license. There is an option to collect the new license by hand also. Went to counter 5 (fee counter) to submit the application. There were a lot of people queued up and many were agents, having tens of bulk applications. I requested them to allow me to submit ahead of queue and they agreed (I guess this is normal, since I saw many people doing it) Submitted the application and I was asked to go to the 'Inward' counter, where I got the acknowledgement receipt. You need to mention about whether the license is collected by hand or send by post. The receipt number can be used to track the file status online ("RTO File Status" link here. There is a service guarantee (RIGHT TO SERVICE ACT 2012, details available here ) of 15 working days for license renewal.

I paid fee of ₹250 for address change and ₹300 for renewal. Apart from it I paid ₹150 for the Eye test and ₹100 to the Notary.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 13:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

@bejoy: good to know that you had smooth sailing. But I think asking for a notarization of new address is a wee bit extreme. In Hyderabad, they go by telephone bill or electricity bill/ gas connection.

This apart, 150 for an eye test also appears to be high. I only had to pay Rs 30 to the doctor who was hanging around in their premises, who certified both vision and hearing.

But there is no 'fast track' service for renewal here. It is invariably sent by post. I got mine on Oct 11th, 10 days after applying. The only differences I could note when compared to my earlier license were:
  1. There is a chip embedded in the card now.
  2. My signature as well as the RTO's is barely visible and too small in font.

Last edited by vnabhi : 15th October 2014 at 13:52.
Old 15th October 2014, 14:03   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
So I decided to get it done from Ernakulam itself while I was on vacation in Kerala.
Bejoy any idea if the new license issued in our state has this chip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
There is a chip embedded in the card now.
What I have with me is a laminated card, the size of which is larger than the usual credit cards and wouldn't fit the wallet! My previous one was a mini booklet which was an even bigger pain.
Old 15th October 2014, 14:38   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Bejoy any idea if the new license issued in our state has this chip?

What I have with me is a laminated card, the size of which is larger than the usual credit cards and wouldn't fit the wallet! My previous one was a mini booklet which was an even bigger pain.
No chip yet. They still issue the laminated card, which is an odd size. The RC card is even bigger, again non-standard size.

BTW, I am yet to receive my new license.
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:21   #51
BHPian

I am a resident of Hyd and have a license issued in the last decade. I don't need to renew it yet, but the card is not in a very good state. My photo and the details have faded. And I have changed my residence as well. So I am planning to apply for the change of address (within Hyd). I am hoping I'll get a new license. Has anybody got any experience in getting this done? I would like to avoid using an agent if possible.

I am sorry if this is not the correct thread. Request the mods to kindly move it to the right one.
Old 7th November 2014, 11:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Has anybody got any experience in getting this done? I would like to avoid using an agent if possible.
I had a hassle-free experience at the Uparpally RTO (the RTO at Attapur has apparently moved there). The RTO is at pillar 175 of the expressway. I was there by 11am and there was not much rush. They also have ample parking within the RTO premises (charged at Rs 20).

In the office, there are lots of boards about not using middle-men/agents. While this is a good move, I am not sure how many of us will get inspired by those boards alone. Anyways, they have a big board that lists the tasks that can be done at every counter. Change of address was at Counter 5. I bought the form, submitted at Counter 5 and paid Rs 485 for the fees. I was then sent to the camera room for my picture and that's it. Done! It took me about 30-40 mins for the entire process.

My father had accompanied me as he wanted to renew his license. The process was similar. However he had to wait there for the Medical Officer to arrive and that gentleman came only at 11:30 am or so. He also took Rs 40/- for signing the form and didn't give a receipt. We were so glad that he had finally arrived that we didn't bother to ask him about it. The cost for renewing the license is Rs 585.

Overall, a very pleasant and hassle-free experience. Ache-din!

Last edited by shifu : 7th November 2014 at 11:31.
Old 25th November 2014, 13:30   #53
J.Ravi

Just an hour back, I came back home after successfully submitting the application with all the documents at Rajajinagar RTO, Bangalore West, for the renewal of my driving licence, which was due to expire on 19 Dec 2014, without the help of any middle man or agent.

The following are the documents submitted:

1. Application form for renewal of driving licence in CMV 9.

2. Declaration for physical fitness and medical certificate forms in CMV 1 and 1A.

3. Self-addressed envelope affixed with stamps of value ₹ 17.

4. Original driving licence in smart card kept inside a transparent plastic cover, which needs to be stapled with the other documents.

5. 2 Passport size photographs to be affixed at CMV 9 and CMV 1A at appropriate places.

6. One 'computer form' to be purchased at numerous shops located opposite the RTO counters costing ₹ 2.

Fees paid: ₹ 50 for the 'in-house', 'authorized' doctor for issuing medical certificate; ₹ 201 in cash at the counter and ₹ 49 for sticker. The sticker was affixed on the cash receipt issued by the cashier. Total amount spent: ₹ 319.

I filled up the forms CMV 9, 1 and 1A, pasted the photographs at appropriate places, took some cash and coins in various denominations and proceeded to Rajajinagar RTO this morning at 9:30 am. I was among the early birds, when even the counters or office were not opened. There were only a few touts and agents. One of them approached me and quoted ₹ 650, all inclusive. I thanked him and waited patiently. After 10 am or so, the place got filled up with more people, agents and touts and had become active and hectic.

One old doctor came and opened the shutters of shop number 34 in the BBMP Rajajinagar shopping complex located just in front of the RTO counters. I went and introduced myself and I was his first customer for today! He said that he was 'authorized' by RTO to issue medical certificate. He quoted ₹ 50 for signing and stamping the medical certificate, which I readily accepted. He finsihed his job in a few minutes. I paid him and thanked him and proceeded to counter number 10, where the superintendent sat.

I presented the documents to the superintendent, who scrutinized and initialed them and directed me to a cash counter, where I paid ₹ 201 in cash and went to another counter and bought sticker worth ₹ 49. Armed with these things, I entered the room number 17, where my left hand thumb impression and photograph were captured. Then, I returned to counter number 10 and presented the documents to the superintendent, who again went through them and his assistant, who sat in front of him issued an yellow-coloured acknowledgement slip. When enquired, I was told it would take about 30 days to get the renewed driving licence in smart card, which would be delivered by speed post.

Now, I am eagerly waiting for my renewed driving licence in smart card. The silver lining is that I need not visit RTO for the next 5 years.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th November 2014 at 13:33.
  (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 16:36   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
... Total amount spent: ₹ 319.
I spent 375Rs without paying anything for medical check earlier this year at the same RTO. 100rs saving? How so? Govt charges never reduce. Was it 201 or 301?

Quote:
The silver lining is that I need not visit RTO for the next 5 years.
If I recollect it right, the license is valid for next 10 years.
Old 25th November 2014, 17:17   #55
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Was it 201 or 301?
I paid ₹ 201 at the cash counter plus ₹ 49 for the sticker with hologram.

Quote:
If I recollect it right, the license is valid for next 10 years.
After the driver attains 50, renewal of driving licence is to be done every 5 years with medical certificate. I did the last renewal at the same RTO in December 2009. Now, I am 60.

Old 25th November 2014, 17:41   #56
BHPian

One of my friend had a doubt and I was not in a position to give him the right answer. I think this would be the right forum to ask this.

He has a license in one of the RTO jurisdictions in Bangalore taken way back in 2003 with validity till 2023. However at the time of taking the license, there was a mistake in the date of birth which my friend was least bothered to go back to the RTO and correct it fearing so many procedures and hassles.

Now since he is not resident in the said jurisdiction, we wants to get a new license in the new jurisdiction afresh. Now the question is whether he can get the license in the new RTO or will the old license get tracked in the new RTO. Also in a genuine case, what if the person lost the license and does not have any details of the same to get a duplicate one in the old RTO. In such cases, will it be right for applying for a fresh license in the present RTO jurisdiction where a particular person resides.

Please clarify. Thanks in advance.
Old 25th November 2014, 19:54   #57
BHPian

I have my driving license issued in Nellore RTO in 2003. Now I am settled in Hyderabad. Thanks to the partition, my license is now from a different state. It is a unique problem to Telangana and AP where people from the other side are viewed suspiciously by the "locals".

The old DL is now so disfigured anyways that a replacement is long due. Hence I want to get my DL transferred to Hyderabad/Telangana. What is the process for this? When I talked to a couple of RTO agents, they suggested that I apply for a fresh DL here in Hyderabad instead of going through the hassle of getting the DL transferred to Hyderabad.

But the upright Indian citizen - who longs for a corruption free India - does not want to game the system. Foolish maybe but I want to go through the proper channel for getting this done.

Has anyone done this here? Is it too much of hassle?
Old 27th November 2014, 08:50   #58
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Hence I want to get my DL transferred to Hyderabad/Telangana. What is the process for this?
There is no need to apply for a fresh driving licence [DL] in Telangana. You can transfer your existing DL issued by Andhra Pradesh to Telangana, simply by applying for change of address by surrendering your existing DL with an address proof to any RTO in Telangana. They will issue a new DL bearing the new address and all further renewals need to be done with the Telangana RTO only.

Here is my story: my original DL in a blue booklet was issued by Kanchipuram RTO in Tamil Nadu in the early 1970s. When I became a resident of Bangalore in the late 1970s, I surrendered my original DL to Bangalore Rajajinagar RTO with address proof and application for change of address. They made an endorsement of change of address in the same booklet duly stamped and signed by the autorized signatory and returned the DL to me. After a few years, affixing driver's photograph in DL was made mandatory. So, I submitted my photographs to the same Bangalore Rajajinagar RTO and got it pasted and attesed in my DL booklet. All the renewals were done at Bangalore Rajajinagar RTO only by endorsements in the DL booklet. After few years, additional DL in plastic card was issued by Bangalore Rajajinagar RTO at a nominal cost. I got the same done. When DL in smart card was introduced, I had to surrender my favourite DL booklet to Bangalore Rajajinagar RTO once and for all. For all these transactions, I dealt with RTO guys directly without any middlemen or agents.

Old 10th January 2015, 14:44   #59
J.Ravi

Quote:
Now, I am eagerly waiting for my renewed driving licence in smart card.
I received my renewed driving licence in smart card a coupla hours back today by speed post. I submitted it on 25 Nov 2014.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 10th January 2015 at 14:46.

Old 24th February 2015, 10:10   #60
BHPian

HI Folks

Has anybody tried renewing their license in Mumbai post the ban on RTO agents. I am a bit confused on whether the medical form 1A is required. Some web pages say Form 1-A is required if you have a transport license, some say it is required if you are over 50 and some say it is mandatory. Any ideas ?

Also is it mandatory that the form 1-A should be filled by a govt doctor only?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks