Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 14:53   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I have a book type DL for LMV, issued from Thane (MH-04) that is valid till 2022. I am now staying in Bangalore. The booklet is now in tatters.....
My wife has a similar situation. Her book was issued from Andheri. Now if someone flips the pages, it may come off in powder form

Please message me or quote me here once you complete your process. I will ask her to follow the same. We are permanent residents in BLR since 2005, although her parents are at Andheri itself incase some RTO papers are required from there. Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 22:01   #107
BHPian

Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - NOC from RTO Mumbai Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Booked my ticket for the return to Bangalore to get the Transferred licence renewed.
How straightforward is this? My sister managed to get the NOC for me, and am expecting the courier to deliver the same to me on Monday. My licence is valid till 2022, so its only a transfer in my case. I have crossed 40, but since this not a renewal, not sure if I need to submit a medical certificate.
Old 11th June 2017, 19:26   #108
BHPian

Quote:
How straightforward is this?.... am expecting the courier to deliver the same to me on Monday.
CONGRATS!

A lot of government processes are now simplified, it is us, that needs to change our mindset.

I also don't think that you need a medical as the requirement is only when one has crossed the age of 50 years.
pariwar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 11:26   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
My wife has a similar situation. Her book was issued from Andheri. Now if someone flips the pages, it may come off in powder form

Please message me or quote me here once you complete your process. I will ask her to follow the same. We are permanent residents in BLR since 2005, although her parents are at Andheri itself incase some RTO papers are required from there. Thanks
Ok, so to summarize my experience of trying to get my old book type license transferred from Maharashtra (MH04) to Bangalore (Ka05). A mini-ordeal and mini-drama in stages:

1. Had a book type license that is valid till 2022. The book was in tatters and I could have got into trouble when I was pulled over during a drive to Rajasthan in Oct 2016.

2. A lazy bugger that I am, I did not think too much about it, till I made up my mind for a drive to Ladakh in Aug 2017. At this point, I decided that it is time for me to convert my book type license to smart card. My options were to either apply for a LL and then DL in Bangalore, or get an NOC out from Thane. This is in the last fortnight of May 2017

3. Did I mention that I am a lazy bugger? The thought of appearing for a LL exam and then DL test did not appear appealing, and I thought of giving an NOC a shot. As I had no intention of traveling to Thane to get an NOC in person, decided to explore via an agent. Decided that I would go the LL-DL route if I cannot get an NOC.

4. My sister, who is settled in Mumbai, kindly agreed to coordinate with a big, old time driving school in Thane. Coincidentally, I had taken driving lessons from him a few decades back. The owner/manager confirmed that he could get an NOC out in no time. My license being book type and me not being physically present was not an issue. Fee quoted was Rs.550, including the fees for NOC.

5. I couriered the following to my sister: Original DL, Application in plain paper, 2 recent passport size photographs, address proof photocopy, Aadhar card photocopy. My sister went to Thane and handed over the package to the driving school.

6. Mini drama 1: The training school staff reacts on seeing the book:
Driving school: Madam, this is book type. Not sure if data can be retrieved, your brother will have to come
Sister (extremely cross): Told you on the phone itself that it is book type. If brother could come, would have gone straight to the RTO.
Driving school (backing off): Ok madam, we will take the license and go to RTO. If they can issue NOC then good, else we will give you the license back.

7. As my sister knew that I would not be able to drive as I am not in possession of my DL and as she did not want to make another trip to Thane just to collect my DL, she insisted that the driving school check with the RTO immediately. Since this was a working day, and about 10.30 am, the owner agreed and sent a staff member to the RTO. My sister accompanied the staff member.

8. There the driving school person managed to extract my record, and also win a few arguments with the RTO staff on why they should issue an NOC to me, inspite of me not being physically present. There were references to bio-metrics also. However, there is a provision where the RTO can issue a paper NOC and they did that. The main official was not there, so the driving school person collected the NOC in the evening, and my sister collected it from the driving school the next day. The only negative experience was that the driving school person conveniently made my sister stand in a few queues etc.

9. Upon receiving the NOC (with the original DL stapled to it) from Thane, I made my way to Jayanagar RTO. I was armed with the NOC, address proof and Aadhar card- both photocopy as well as original, self addressed stamped envelop (rs. 18 worth of stamps) and an application on plain paper. Chose a working day and reached the RTO office a little before 10.00 am. I do not speak the local language, and the staff at the enquiry counter spoke only in Kannada. However, rest of the staff were willing to speak in English and it helped. Did not employ an agent. The sequence of events are as follows:

a. Enquiry counter: explain everything to the lady. She thinks I want to transfer car. Explain again that its for DL. She asks me to visit the RTO superintendent and points me in the direction.

b. RTO superintendent has not come yet. The PRO is available, and she asks me to go to counter 11 and meet the Assistant superintendent (not sure if I have the designation correct).

c. Counter 11 is a picture of chaos with no queue, and agents milling around. I finally get some face time with the lady there. She is not sure if she can accept my application as my original DL is in book form. Am asked to go to cabin no 8 where there is a deputy superintendent (not sure if I have the designation correct), and I have to ask him.

d. Minidrama 2: Official in cabin 8 asks me where is the chip card from MH04. I am confused and I tell him that the license is in book form, no smart card. He explains that MH04 should have given a chip card with my details while issuing NOC. That ways, he would have easily retrieved the data. Now he will have to send a letter to MH04 to confirm that my NOC is genuine and at times it can take upto 3 months to get a response. After some back and forth I almost plead with him that I have just come from Thane with my NOC and I cannot go back for the smart card. I also wonder why the RTO there did not give me this option of smart card when I visited them. The official relents and says that if I am willing to take a chance is if fine with it. I thank him, and confirm that I can continue to drive with the acknowledgment slip that I will get from them

e. Go to counter no 11 and tell the lady that I have an ok from the official. She glances at my "packet"including the application on plain paper and then asks me to get a form requesting for license transfer and fill that. I am confused, as the Karnataka RTO website does not list any form for license transfer. Anyways, I trudge back to the enquiry counter, and with the help of someone standing there, confirm that there are no forms available for DL transfer and that application as to be made on plain paper itself.

f. Walk back to counter no 11, and tell the lady there that there are no forms and that I have already typed a neat application on plain paper and request her to accept the same. She agrees, and advises me to purchase a small plastic ziplock from the xerox shop downstairs so that my original DL is protected. However, she says that I should first get the data entry done and asks me to go to counter behind her counter

g. I do that and handover my forms to the computer operator. He asks me to wait outside. I use that time to go down, get the pouch and also a cup of tea that I now desperately need! I spend around 30 mins down soaking in the fresh air and enjoying my tea.

h. Walk upstairs and the computer operator confirms that data entry is done and hands over my forms to me. I detach the DL, place it in the ziplock and staple everything together. Am told to go to a cahs counter at the far end of the office where money is accepted for DL related services.

i. Within 5-10 minutes of standing in a short queue, I manage to pay the requisite fees- Rs. 351. I am now asked to go to cabin 8 and get the officials signature.

j. At cabin 8, the official checks everything and scribbles something on the side of my application with green ink.

k. Make my way to the biometrics room. There is a big queue, but the process if fast and my turn comes within 10-15 minutes. Men applicants are asked to pay Rs. 50 (no receipt, so I guess it's chai-paani). Get my biometrics done.

l. Hand over everything to a counter adjacent to counter 11. Here the person concerned gives me an acknowledgement slip that I can use and drive. I ask the person on the timelines, and he mechanically says "30 days".

I finally walk out of the Jayanagar RTO around 12.15 in the afternoon. Not sure if I will get my smartcard within 30 days or within 3 months. The drive to Ladakh is planned for mid-Aug so keeping my fingers crossed!
ajayclicks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 10:23   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....A mini-ordeal and mini-drama in stages....
Thanks buddy for the detailed post. I really doubt if I have that patience or even allow her aged parents to the same ordeal ! Why this department can not have a nationalised single system that coordinates everything is beyond my understanding ! I really hope one day we see that executed. Aadhaar is one idea with lot of hopes. GST is getting real too, so we should have some initiation on the other departments soon

Infact Govt should ban the old booklets (same like banning currency) and open up the smartcard migration system accessible from any RTO in the country with a single proof of Aadhaar or Voter's card !

Getting a Jio SIM or device is so simple and realistic with the Aadhaar and thumb impression. Imagine everything what a person needs are made accessible and less complicated like that ! Corruption Babus will die a natural death anyway
Old 19th June 2017, 12:28   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks buddy for the detailed post. I really doubt if I have that patience or even allow her aged parents to the same ordeal !
If your wife is not in a hurry, she can go the LL and DL route here. Though that is not without drama as well. A junior college is learning driving and went for her LL test (She stays in Whitefield so not sure with RTO jursidiction). The entire batch of 180 was flunked and told to reappear, as due to server error, they could not progress beyond 10- 12 questions. The officials claimed helplessness and said that as the system is automated, they will have to accept the "fail" results and reappear!
Old 19th June 2017, 12:51   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!
If you are brave enough, you will not need the agent and can follow the steps outlined in the message above. Alternatively the agent's name is Santosh and he is available on 8080367384.

Tried to contact Santosh on the above number. Besides the fact that he is not responding, when I dial the number, the location mentioned is 'Bangalore, Karnataka'. Just wanted to check that there is no mistake.
Old 13th July 2017, 18:51   #113
BHPian

Quote:
.......A lot of government processes are now simplified, it is us, that needs to change our mindset.......
I agree, the process for obtaining a driving licence has certainly been simplified and can be done online using https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice/sarathiHomePublic.do. [I will post my entire experience for the benefit of other members once I receive the licence.]

If you recollect, you had recommended that I obtain an NOC from the Mumbai Central RTO and renew the licence in Hyderabad. However, since my licence had already expired, I had no option but to renew the same in Mumbai, which I did using the above site.

Today, I visited the above site to check the status of my application and found out that the licence smart card was ready and awaiting dispatch. Now I am in a real quandary, since I had anticipated that it would take a while longer and had planned a trip to Mumbai in August to take delivery of the licence.

I had, in fact, written to the local post office in Mumbai, requesting them to retain the licence till I visited Mumbai in August to collect the same. I understand that the local post office can hold a letter/document for only 15 days and thereafter the same has to returned to the sender.

Will any one be able to tell me what will happen in case the licence is returned by the post office to the Mumbai Central RTO? Is it possible to visit the RTO, in person, and collect the same? And what is the validity of the receipt that I am holding in lieu of the licence?
Old 13th July 2017, 20:19   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Will any one be able to tell me what will happen in case the licence is returned by the post office to the Mumbai Central RTO? Is it possible to visit the RTO, in person, and collect the same? And what is the validity of the receipt that I am holding in lieu of the licence?
I recollect seeing a window at the RTO which had the longest queue throughout, where people were coming with original slips and an id proof to collect their smart cards. So, YES there is a facility, can't answer the second question though.
Old 13th July 2017, 20:49   #115
BHPian

Quote:
I recollect seeing a window at the RTO which had the longest queue throughout, where people were coming with original slips and an id proof to collect their smart cards. So, YES there is a facility, can't answer the second question though.
Thanks for the very prompt response, pariwar. Set's my mind at rest, since I am planning to combine picking up the smart card and completing some other work.

Guess I will just have to take my chances regarding the validity of the slip/receipt.
Old 13th July 2017, 21:08   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
And what is the validity of the receipt that I am holding in lieu of the licence?
I was informed by Jayanagar RTO (Bangalore) that I can use this slip in lieu of DL. Not sure if I can use this for a cross-country drive though. Did not bother to clarify from them.
Old 13th July 2017, 21:13   #117
BHPian

Quote:
I was informed by Jayanagar RTO (Bangalore) that I can use this slip in lieu of DL. Not sure if I can use this for a cross-country drive though. Did not bother to clarify from them.
No plans for any cross country drives for me. Just around the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Guess since the licence has been renewed, I can at least argue that my breach is purely technical.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:51   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Just as a matter of abundant precaution, I called the Mumbai Central RTO on the number you had provided to confirm that I could collect the licence in person, with an identity proof.

According to the person I spoke with, if the licence is returned by the post office, postal charges will have to paid once again and the same will be re-sent.

Under no circumstances, will the licence cannot be handed over in person at the RTO, as per the rules. For any relaxation of the rule, the officer has to contacted.
Old 19th July 2017, 16:26   #119
BHPian

Quote:
I finally walk out of the Jayanagar RTO around 12.15 in the afternoon. Not sure if I will get my smartcard within 30 days or within 3 months. The drive to Ladakh is planned for mid-Aug so keeping my fingers crossed!
Is there any update on your license transfer application? Just curious, as it's over a month
Old 19th July 2017, 16:28   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
Is there any update on your license transfer application? Just curious, as it's over a month
Nothing yet :(

I have been informed by a few others (who gave their licences for renewal etc.) that it usually takes 1 month+ 10 days for the license to come. Will pay a friendly visit to the RTO in the coming week.

Most Viewed