Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 22:28   #76
BHPian

Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Thanks for the detailed report. With digitization and online, lot of things should be streamlined and corruption free.

One more doubt, I have around 4 yrs before i need to renew my license. If i convert it to smart card, i might have to renew it again after 4 years right ?

And i guess i dont require medical certificate for just smart card conversion and address change
1) Yes, you will have to renew it after it's validity expires. The 20 year limit is carved in stone, the best you can do is to renew it with less than a month remaining for it to expire.

2) No, you don't need a medical certificate for that. Today my wife did exactly the same, said bye to the book and went for plastic along with an address change. And if you are below 40 years of age then medical certificate is not required even for renewal.
Old 10th July 2016, 16:43   #77
BHPian

Driving Licence renewal - Pune RTO

Recently successfully submitted Driving Licence Renewal at Pune RTO. And below is my experience.

Documentation and stationary Requirement:
1. Original Driving License + 2 photo copies
2. Recent photographs - 2 nos
3. Address proof (if the new address is different than on old DL)
4. Gum / Fevistick
5. Pen
6. Small transparent polythene pouch - slighly bigger than your DL
7. Stapler
8. Some patience!

Procedure:
1. Reach Pune RTO Office and park your vehicle. Ignore people (agents) who want to help you.
2. Outside the main building, there is an Official kiosk to supply various forms. Ask for forms to renew DL. The person across the counter will provide you 2 forms (a) Form 9 - Form of application for the renewal of driving licence and (b) Form 1-A - Medical certificate.
3. Fill the main application form and affix your photograph. Sign
4. Go to the basement of the main building and ask around for a medical certificate. They will guide you to a "Doctor". Give that person your photograph. The person will give you your medical certificate (Form 9). Pay the person Rs 50 as fees.
5. Put together complete documentation in one bunch. Form 9, Form 1-A, DL photocopy, Address proof. Put your original DL in the polythene pouch. Staple it together.
6. Now, go to Block "C". Go to counter 2/3. The person will see your application and put some numbers on your application. This is the fee breakup you need to pay in the next step. I had 264+50+50 written in my case.
7. Now proceed to Block "B". Give the application bunch to the counter along with the money (cash) mentioned in previous step. The officer will verify application and fee and punch in details on the system. Now, go to the immediate next counter who will provide you the receipt.
8. Check that DL number is mentioned correctly.
9. Go home!!

It took me about 30 odd minutes for all of this exercise! But, had I known it this to be so simple, I could have done it within 15 mins flat. Mind you I had not taken along 4,5,6,7 items and had to purchase it there! Nevertheless I had item 8 with me!!

Hope this helps ..
dmplog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 14:03   #78
Senior - BHPian

For Mumbai guys how much is the expected arrival of renewed driving license after renewal forms are submitted. eg i had submitted docs on 17 Nov so when can i expect the new license to be mailed to me ?

Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 15:35   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
For Mumbai guys how much is the expected arrival of renewed driving license after renewal forms are submitted. eg i had submitted docs on 17 Nov so when can i expect the new license to be mailed to me ?

Thanks
It took approx. 2 months for my renewal.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 12:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
What is the right time to apply for renewal then. Mine expires in september.

How to drive in the interim if license is delivered later than expiry date?

Cheers
MKP
Old 15th March 2017, 12:52   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
WOW.

Here in Delhi it took me only 2 days to get the renewed licence issued. The procedure was very straight forward, if you are carrying desired documents. Yes, the queue was very long, it took me nearly 4 hours to reach the window.
Old 15th March 2017, 13:06   #82
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post

From what I know:
-Your license is valid for 30 days after the expiry date and this is the period when you need to apply for renewal
-In Maharashtra, one can apply for renewal 3 months before the expiry (as per an article I read on the internet). Possibly, other states relax this to 1 month before expiry
-Once you've submitted your papers for renewal, you are given an acknowledgment and this is enough for you to drive around legally
Old 18th March 2017, 17:04   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post

Cheers
MKP
The acknowledgement receipt is sufficient to drive in the interim.
It carries a validity clause on the reverse of 30 / 45 days (do not remember clearly), though I remember having gone again to the RTO to get it stamped with a validity extension before receiving the renewed licence.
Old 21st March 2017, 16:18   #84
BHPian

I applied for DL renewal on 22 Dec 2016 and got it on 18 March 2017 - 3months! Problem is the new licence only mentions LMV and Transport vehicle, no mention of Motorcycle above 50cc.

Also the expiry dates are 2 separate dates for transport and LMV categories.
Old 24th March 2017, 16:44   #85
BHPian

I am in the process of getting my book type driving licence renewed. Will try and document my experience in subsequent posts as the attempt is being made on Monday, 27 March 2017. Facts of the case:
  1. Licence - Red Book Type, issued in 1994, RTO Mumbai Central, Validity Expired in end December 2016 on achieving Age = 50. There is no mention in the book that it has to be renewed/re-validated after 20 years (2014).
  2. Was a resident of Mumbai at that time, staying at Shivaji Park and hence jurisdiction RTO Mumbai Central. Moved from Shivaji Park to Andheri (W) and then spent considerable time outside India, before returning to settle in Bengaluru in 2010.
  3. All other identity and address proof's are of Bangalore (current address) other than Passport which shows Andheri, Mumbai address (waiting for validity next year for renewal + change of address at same time).
  4. Intend to get a NOC to transfer the licence to RTO Jnanabharathi, Bengaluru.
  5. Called RTO Mumbai Central and the call was surprisingly picked up after a few rings and a patient gentleman, heard me out and instructed that I have to come there to renew, get new plastic card licence and then only NOC can be obtained. Said if I had the plastic card then I may not need to be there in person for obtaining NOC for transfer.
Old 24th March 2017, 21:53   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
I am in the process of getting my book type driving licence renewed
I am not sure whether this would be illegal in any way. But since your licence has not been in force for three years and since there are a lot of hassles in renewing the same, why don't you apply for an all new licence in Bengaluru itself. With the documents you have, it would cost you less than five hundred bucks. Of course, you will have to obtain a learner's licence first .
Old 29th March 2017, 18:46   #87
BHPian

Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - NOC from RTO Mumbai Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Of course, you will have to obtain a learner's licence first .
Had considered this, but now that I am a day away from getting my renewed driving licence, I feel it was the legal and correct move to make.

To relate my tale:
  1. Reached Mumbai on Sunday, 26th March armed with all possible originals and multiple photocopies and a stationery box that would have been the envy of an efficient secretary.
  2. Was at Mumbai Central RTO at 9.45 a.m. A bit too soon as the counters open around 10.30 a.m. only. In a matter of 15 minutes, the place started buzzing with people.
  3. Reached counter 166 (as informed by the receiver of my call) and was waiting outside. A person looking like an agent was sizing me up and I openly asked him if he was one, explained the purpose and showed him the documents. Realized that the next day is off for the RTO as it was Gudi Padva and hence the urgency of finishing the entire exercise on Monday, 27th March itself. This prompted me to use the agent and after a bit of haggling settled the issue with the clear mandate that I should get the NOC in hand by mid afternoon at least.
  4. 1st Window - Get the forms from outside RTO. The agent trudged and picked it up, three documents including a request letter a form to show where the NOC is required for and another nondescript document. Filled in with two photographs attached, copy of Aadhar card attached.
  5. 2nd Window - Window#151 - The Agent disappeared inside the building and I was asked to wait. I caught glimpses of him now and then through the window. The backdrop of 151 is dingy and this seems to be where the old records are stored. He emerged after some time and showed me the old RTO record. Thank God, he was able to find it. Window#151 puts a signature on one of the forms, attaches the whole thing together and passes it back through the window.
  6. 3rd Window - Window#171 - Sr. Clerk sits here. The document has to be given to the Senior Clerk, who will immediately enter some details in a register kept with him and counter sign the form and return it.
  7. 4th Window (actually a door next to Window#171) - A three star RTO Officer sits here and this individual needs to sign the papers too. After waiting for about 10 minutes in the sun in a queue with three people ahead of me, a non commissioned staff asked us to follow him.
  8. 5th Window (actually a door) - Like Obedient KG Children we trooped behind him to the building opposite the quadrangle and waited for the three star RTO. He came quite quickly and the paper signature got done immediately. Only for this point, the agent makes a disappearing act and reappears the minute you come out of that door.
  9. 6th Window - Window#31 - Cashier line with about 15 odd people ahead of me, which moves quite quickly. Other windows nearby opened up and reduced the queue behind me. A couple of people ahead commented that Window#31 has the fastest cashier. The agent in the meanwhile took the documents and went out of the RTO premises to take photocopies which he asked me to keep for my record. Payment to Cashier - Rs.20/-
  10. 7th Window - Window#32 - Cash is paid at #31 and the receipt is collected from #32. By now the agent had stepped in to the queue and there were just 4 odd people ahead of him. Receipt in hand.
  11. 8th Window - Window#174 - Trudge back across the quadrangle where the entire set of documents is handed over to a clerk for "data". Was told 30 minutes but it took some more time. In the meanwhile the agent went out to purchase lunch for an official, filled two bottles of cold water for the staff and did some other running around jobs. After some time I was called to the window by the agent and asked to peek in. A lady sitting away from the window confirmed my name and asked me when I got my two wheeler licence. I replied that both licences were on the same day. Supposedly at this window some digitization of records (information only, I think) seems to have happened and my record does not mention two wheeler. Now she does have the document in the bunch which we had taken from Window#151, however she wanted to reconfirm. So she comes out of the barracks and walks upto Window#151 and confirms with the Clerk on "Class of Vehicles". Coincidentally the person who was standing next to the clerk is the one who picks up these documents from storage and one look at the agent and then the document, confirmed that the document was picked up in the morning. She trudges back to her seat. Some data entry points later the paper is returned with "DATA OK" stamped on it.
  12. 9th Window - (Not really a window, but a door next to Window#32). Trudge back across the quadrangle to a door near the cashiers section and wait in a line with about 12 odd people ahead of me. Once again this line, I need to stand. Am told photo will be taken. This process is quite quick when you reach the designated area. Sit down, lean back and the counter person focuses a precariously balanced camera to capture your face on a maroon pre-planted screen. Does a quick sizing and saves the image. Finger print is captured and then you are asked to sign on a digitized pad. She hands me back the set of papers.
  13. 10th Window - Window#174 - The papers are passed back to the Staff and the agent was told one hour. Now we were seriously in working towards the lunch hour time and hoping that the document comes out in sufficient time to finish other processes. It comes out in about 45 minutes. All documents are taken away and I get my red licence with an endorsement in it, a NOC sheet neatly typed with all details.
  14. 11th Window - Window#171 - The NOC has to be signed by the senior clerk and this is fairly quickly accomplished even though the line ahead had some 6 to 7 people crowded around it.
11 Windows - 3 hrs 15 minutes process time - Rs. 20 as fees - Rs. 600 to the agent - Mission Accomplished.

Booked my ticket for the return to Bangalore to get the Transferred licence renewed.

Some important points:
  1. We need to know the RTO number to which the NOC is required. In my case I knew it to be KA-41. As per the agent, the staff get quite upset and the process is ridiculously complicated if you have to change the RTO location once the final NOC document is obtained.
  2. Some form of digitization has happened, looks like documents are not scanned but data entry has been done.
  3. All the agents who have been doing RTO related work are talking only about what to do when the entire process is computerized through the website. Every agent conversation seems to be veering towards this. They have no other skills and some of them are quite old. Felt sorry for them.
  4. None of the counters entertain enquiries, a notice to that effect is pasted near each window. One needs to go to the enquiry counter for this. In the trudging up and down, back and forth did not come across the enquiry counter. An odd polite & respectful query may be entertained.
  5. The agents get quite upset when you pester them or check at the counter when they are away for some other client's work. I was ticked off by my agent saying - "you will go away, but we have to come back every day". Seems that one should not push the counter clerks, they might get upset with the agent's document...
pariwar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 11:10   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
[/list]11 Windows - 3 hrs 15 minutes process time - Rs. 20 as fees - Rs. 600 to the agent - Mission Accomplished.
I have also MH-01 issued book type DL with 7 more years of validity. I am also planning to get an NOC for address change to Bangalore. Could you please share the agent details?
Old 30th March 2017, 17:00   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
I have also MH-01 issued book type DL with 7 more years of validity. I am also planning to get an NOC for address change to Bangalore. Could you please share the agent details?
Hi!
If you are brave enough, you will not need the agent and can follow the steps outlined in the message above. Alternatively the agent's name is Santosh and he is available on 8080367384.
pariwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 11:22   #90
Senior - BHPian

My sisters DL expires on the 11th of next month.
Can the renewal be done online now or does one need to visit the RTO?

Also is there a link which lists the documents required to be carried and the form to be filled in?

Most Viewed