Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 09:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

My DL is expiring this month, so I went to the local RTO's office (Yelahanka Bangalore), I had to buy the forms as they did not have "stocks" at the office, then I saw that a medical certificate was also required (again in prescribed format).

Now there used to be a doctor's clinic in the ground floor of the building housing the RTO's office, this doctor has been there for many years, much before the RTO's office was set up, he has a good practice, but once the RTO's office opened up, his practice grew substantially, he was the closest doctor available to issue medical fitness certificate, I used to see throngs of people waiting at the clinic in the mornings, most of them holding forms.

Now, it was my turn to join the throngs, but to my surprise, his clinic was deserted with just a couple of patients waiting their turn, when my turn came, I went in and asked him to certify me fit, but he told me that the RTO started rejecting his certificates as he was not willing to give them a "cut", so now they ask people to go to a govt hospital 4 kms away or get a certificate for 150/- bucks from one of the touts around.

Now, is it mandatory to get a medical fitness certificate from a govt doctor for getting a document from the RTO's office? I remember having got a certificate signed by an "authorised" doctor sitting in a cubicle at Jayanagar Shopping Complex, when I got my licence for the first time, there was no concept of having to get a govt doctor to sign the fitness certificate, has it changed now?

Would like to know of your experiences in getting a DL renewed. As a principle I don't want to go through agents (have never done so at the RTO's office).

Cheers,
Hari.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

Although not for renewing license but during the transfer of my license I was asked a medical certificate, However on enquiry with a couple of known faces in Thane RTO I found the certificate was not required. The medical certificate is required for new driving license and if given to the agent, you dont have to visit the doctor too. All done by the agent who cost is the deterrent most of the time.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

• Application form in CMV 9 available at the enquiry counter.
  • Application-cum-declaration as to the physical fitness in form CMV 1 and Medical Certificate in form CMV 1A in case of applicant who completed 40 years of age.
  • Holder of DL for transport vehicle shall produce physical fitness and medical certificate at the time of renewal of DL.
  • 3 recent passport size photographs
  • driving licence (Book or PVC Card).
how old are you?
quoted from the RTO karnataka site.
it "SEEMS" that you only require to submit the fitness and medical certificate if you're over 40.
FYI only.

Last edited by mayankk : 16th February 2011 at 10:56.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2011, 10:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

When you are not willing to serve them with money, they will remind you number of processes. But when money paid all processes go in vain. As a responsible citizen we respect processes and I believe it is their for some good thing.

However, it is true that getting new DL or renewing old DL requires medical certificate from government practitioner. In this age it is bit awkward to visit government hospital for same but there is no way. You please visit to nearby government hospital and get fitness certificate from them.

Only investment you need to do is time and there is no way you can get discount in it. Good luck! and I believe you will not pay any bribe to them.
Old 16th February 2011, 10:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
My DL is expiring this month, so I went to the local RTO's office (Yelahanka Bangalore), I had to buy the forms as they did not have "stocks" at the office, then I saw that a medical certificate was also required (again in prescribed format).
The RTOs are so corrupt in Karnataka, you have to an idealist or an activist or have too much time on your hand to approach them directly. They will pull out every arcane rule, they literally throw the rule book on you if you approach them directly. You see, they don't like to take bribe from strangers, you could be from Lokayukta. So they remember what their mother told them, "Don't take chocolate from strangers" which now translates to "Don't take bribe from strangers".

Quote:
Now, it was my turn to join the throngs, but to my surprise, his clinic was deserted with just a couple of patients waiting their turn, when my turn came, I went in and asked him to certify me fit, but he told me that the RTO started rejecting his certificates as he was not willing to give them a "cut", so now they ask people to go to a govt hospital 4 kms away or get a certificate for 150/- bucks from one of the touts around.
Entirely believable, although I am surprised they accepted his certificates for many years without a cut. I think he was giving a cut, but he didn't want to pay higher and lost his contract.

Quote:
Now, is it mandatory to get a medical fitness certificate from a govt doctor for getting a document from the RTO's office? I remember having got a certificate signed by an "authorised" doctor sitting in a cubicle at Jayanagar Shopping Complex, when I got my licence for the first time, there was no concept of having to get a govt doctor to sign the fitness certificate, has it changed now?
Yeah, I got the medical certificate from that guy couple years back, he charges only 50 bucks. He finishes the task in less than one minute.

Quote:
Would like to know of your experiences in getting a DL renewed. As a principle I don't want to go through agents (have never done so at the RTO's office).
I got my DL renewed couple years back. I walked in at 12:45PM, instantly saw the agent who had given very quick service earlier. Walked out at 1:30PM with a freshed minted computer card DL. He took me to some 5-6 guys including the doctor like it was an emergency, and everyone attended to my case instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
However on enquiry with a couple of known faces in Thane RTO I found the certificate was not required. The medical certificate is required for new driving license and if given to the agent, you dont have to visit the doctor too. All done by the agent who cost is the deterrent most of the time.
If you are renewing at 40, they do insist on medical certificate.
Old 16th February 2011, 11:08   #6
BHPian

Is it possible to convert a DL (Booklet) issued in another state to a Smartcard DL in the state you are residing in currently ?

I would like to convert my DL issued in Kerala to a smartcard DL in Bangalore.

If so, will it be possible if I am staying in a rented apartment in the state where I reside currently ?
Old 16th February 2011, 11:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had a look at the Maharashtra RTO website and there is no mention about anything related to transfer of driving license between RTO's. The reason I was checking was my wife's license is from Pune and is of the older laminated card type, hence wanted to get it transferred to Thane RTO and in smart card format. No form details are available on website.

Motor Vehicles Department ( R.T.O.) , Maharashtra
Old 16th February 2011, 11:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Is it possible to convert a DL (Booklet) issued in another state to a Smartcard DL in the state you are residing in currently ?

If so, will it be possible if I am staying in a rented apartment in the state where I reside currently ?
Yes it is possible. Walk into your local RTO and get the forms and submit them. See Transport Department.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While it may be possible, I don't see a need for it. I have been possessing a Kerala DL for the last 25 years even though I live outside the state for 20 years and it is perfectly valid all over India. You can keep your existing DL as long as it is valid and/or change to a smart card based DL in Kerala itself.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
While it may be possible, I don't see a need for it. I have been possessing a Kerala DL for the last 25 years even though I live outside the state for 20 years and it is perfectly valid all over India. You can keep your existing DL as long as it is valid and/or change to a smart card based DL in Kerala itself.
Its valid for another 3 years but I just thought of converting it to a smartcard as the booklet seems to be wearing out even if it is kept wrapped up.
Old 16th February 2011, 14:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its valid for another 3 years but I just thought of converting it to a smartcard as the booklet seems to be wearing out even if it is kept wrapped up.
Oh boy!!! I am in a similar situation!! My DL is from Hyderabad and yes in a booklet. Now I moved to Coimbatore. Recently when applying for a prepaid cell number, the vendor refused to accept it as the expiry date was not visible clearly. I am now planing to get it converted to smart card type. Lets see what the TN RTO has under its sleeve for me!!!
Old 16th February 2011, 15:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

@ Mayankk
Quote:
how old are you?
I am 39yrs as on date, but the guy at the enquiry counter said that a medical certificate is essential, just like "PUC" certificate for all vehicle related issues.

@Anujmishra
Quote:
However, it is true that getting new DL or renewing old DL requires medical certificate from government practitioner. In this age it is bit awkward to visit government hospital for same but there is no way. You please visit to nearby government hospital and get fitness certificate from them.
I have no hesitation going to a govt hospital if required, I only wanted to know if it is mandatory for a govt doctor to certify your fitness.

@Samurai
Quote:
So they remember what their mother told them, "Don't take chocolate from strangers" which now translates to "Don't take bribe from strangers".
So very true, here's how I got a medical certificate:

On my way to work today, I went to Yelahanka Govt hospital, which is actually not too far from my house, as I walked in, a guy in khaki (read peon) came up to me and asked "yenu hagabekithu saar?" (what do u need saar), told him I require a doctor's certificate for the RTO, he immediately took my file and asked me to follow him, went in straight into a doc's chambers and asked the "busy" gent for a signature, then he did something which amused me, he locked the cabin from the inside, the doc filled the form for me and just before the lackey was supposed to put the seal, he asks me, "saar fees?"

I ask him how much, he says ask the doc, I look at the doc, here's where what Samurai told earlier rings true, the doc looked very uncomfortable to name a price, he fidgeted around and muttered "100 rupees" under his breath.

I paid up, all the while wanting to question him, but I thought the scared look on a govt official's face is worth a hundred bucks. I next paid 20 bucks to the guy in khaki and got a beaming salute in return.

I go to the RTO, only to realise, today is a govt holiday on account of Id.

Now, let me see what happens tomorrow morning.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2011, 15:50   #13
BHPian

I also tried to do all these things but proves very costly considering time and money. I route through the training school guys who do it for Rs150 at Mumbai. This is very cheap otherwise you would loose a day's leave in the process. I have two licenses one for two wheeler issued at Tamil Nadu and another at Mumbai for four wheeler. Lost around Rs3000 going to Madurai and back though could have got it done for Rs300 through somebody.
Old 16th February 2011, 18:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

To answer your question it is possible to convert the Kerala DL into a Smart cardDl in Bangalore.
I had a Mumbai smart card DL and I have changed it in Bangalore,
Sharing My experience at Indira Nagar RTO
• Prepare a plain paper application address the RTO about change in address
• Get the initials of the Assisstant RTO (Generally availabe after 10 am)
• You need to pay a fee of Rs 215 at the fee counter collect receipts
• Submit the old DL along with a address change request along with a plastic envelope (for attaching the Old smart card) and self addressed stamped envelop (for sending the new card) with a valid address proof. Don’t remember the counter #
• On submission of the old DL,I was given a receipt which has a valid till date around 30 days. You can drive with this receipt.
• Your photograph and signatures are entered in the computerised system.
• After 30 days I went to Indira nagar RTO I was told they don’t have the code avalible for MH43 (NaviMumbai) code for validation. Quite strange !

Non computerised DL’s might take longer verification time. After couple of followups and waiting patiently they got the confirmation, clue here is that most of the follow ups happened after 4:00 pm that’s when all the back end processing happens like posting /printing of new DL’s happens.
After follow ups finally I got my new smart card DL. The best part is that I did NOT PAY ANY BRIBE

I felt that the process is quite simple but it is made tough by making people run from one window to another, that’s where all the touts come into picture. Ask the RTO official about the next step to follow at all the steps.
We the citizens are to blame for all this corruption , after having all the valid documents we cannot stand in queue for couple of hrs for a licences which will be valid for a 20 years (initially). I think we all s need to take this pain to follow the right path (That’s how I feel) and stop feeding this corruption NOW!

RTO details related to change in address can also be found on the following link. Transport Department

Will share my ordeal on renewing my 2 wheeler licence some time later !
Old 16th February 2011, 18:45   #15
BHPian

Mine is up for renewal next month. I think I will get it done through the agent I know. Will update at how things work around here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks