Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Twilight Driving - When do you exactly switch on your headlights?
As soon as light starts fading away, regardless of street lights are on or not. 104 41.11%
After it becomes sufficiently dark, till then I use parking lights only. 116 45.85%
After it becomes sufficiently dark and if there is no street lights. 9 3.56%
I use it on only when I cannot see and off, until it becomes complete dark. 7 2.77%
After Sunset, regardless of the light availability. 17 6.72%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 16:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Twilight driving - When exactly do you switch on your headlights

Twilight has been one of the most accident prone period of a day in most countries. The light slowly fades away and people are reluctant or ignorant of switching on their headlights at the right time.
Myself,I switch on the headlights (in dim mode) just when the light starts to fade even though the Sunlight is still there and I can clearly see to some extent in front of my car. It is more for the drivers coming from behind to 'see' my car rather than I 'see' the road and vehicles. Though day-light headlights are a practice on freeways in US and some other countries, here it is seen as 'hey man you've forgot to switch off your headlights'!.
- Please participate in the Poll and let us see where we are in general.
- Please discuss when do you switch on and why.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Twilight driving - When exactly do you switch on your headlights

As soon as its 6 or dusk, I switch on my park lights. but somehow I see better without the headlights.

I switch it ON only when I find it difficult to see. but then, there is a time of day, where you cant really decide whether to turn it ON or OFF. Both are equally bad.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:32   #3
BHPian

I switch on my headlights as soon as I have to stress to look infront of my car as compared to daylight driving which is I guess at around 6 in the evening. Well I believe switching your lights ON at sunset will not only benefit you but the person behind you who may not notice your car as it is getting dark and may rear end it.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have now started to turn on my parking lights on the highways during the day. While in the city, I turn on my lights as soon as the light starts fading.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is always recommeded to switch on headlights whenever it appears darker than a regular day. This could be at 12 noon on an overcast day or when there is fog any time of the day. I notice many people hesitant to switch on headlights even when it is near/fully dark. They may be very confident of driving in dark but they should realize that their vehicle cannot be seen by others. It is an extremely dangerous situation. For such people, I wonder if they fear to get some "electricity bill" if they switch on their headlights.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
They may be very confident of driving in dark but they should realize that their vehicle cannot be seen by others.
Doesn't the park lights serve that exact purpose?. Letting other cars know that 'I'm right here'.

Last edited by dhanushs : 16th February 2011 at 16:49.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:54   #7
BHPian

I normally switch on the parking lights at dusk.
The headlights will be turned on after it gets sufficiently darker (read 10-15 mins after dusk).
Old 16th February 2011, 17:00   #8
BHPian

I used to switch my park light off till i can really see the road.
Raining also will make me switch my parking lights on. If it rains heavily, the hazard lights.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

I also keep my windscreen clean at all times. The car may be dirty but the glass has to be clean. In fact if its raining when I leave, I clean it again. I keep a bottle of colin/ brisk and a rubber wipe in the car at all times for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Raining also will make me switch my parking lights on. If it rains heavily, the hazard lights.
As far as I know, Hazards are meant to be used when the car is parked where its not expected to be parked. They are not meant for use in a moving car.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

I switch on the lights as soon as the light starts fading away. This is as mentioned for the benefit of other road users though I may be able to see the road.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
As far as I know, Hazards are meant to be used when the car is parked where its not expected to be parked. They are not meant for use in a moving car.
In addition to that if you are on a highway and suddenly you see an obstacle or accident in front of you, you suddenly slow down and switch on the Hazard lights to warn those coming behind you of the "Hazard" they are about to encounter.
Also in foggy / dusty situations, it is used to warn about the "slow moving hazard" on the road.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:29   #12
BHPian

I have different approaches for City and highway ( or in rural roads )

- once out of the cities, I usually switch on the lights early, as soon as the ambient light starts fading.

- in cities, as long as the street lights are good enough, i keep driving in parking light mode for a while longer.

I do switch on headlights when its raining heavily, and if its foggy ( I dont have separate fog lights )

I have found one strange behaviour while driving in the Mumbai Pune expressway. People switch the hazard lights on once they are in the tunnel! Quite confusing I must say.
Old 16th February 2011, 17:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

^^ They should switch on their 'headlights' in dim mode instead. This is normal practice and in modern cars this is automatic (On and Off) through light sensors.
Old 16th February 2011, 18:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Roads in chandigarh,are well lit.
So most of the times i use only the fog lamps and parking lamps
Old 16th February 2011, 18:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

I keep it ON the moment the normal daylight portion starts to come down, same in the morning until I see proper sunlight with the fogs ON working more like the DRLs!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks