Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 19:37   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A short story of a traffic warden

Super real-life story, Dot. It's guys like you who make the world a better place to live in. I'm inclined to give the benefit of doubt to the traffic warden.

Call it a gut feeling, but I know he'll live up to his word. Keep us updated
Old 21st February 2011, 19:55   #17
BHPian

Indeed a great gesture dot. While I wish & hope that he is not cheating you (and others). It's Monday now - any update from him?
Old 21st February 2011, 19:58   #18
BHPian

Salute you, Dot. A very nice gesture. Trust it is not a cooked up story. Even if it is, look at the brighter side - one person wasn't actually injured!
Old 21st February 2011, 20:14   #19
BANNED

Here is the law from somebody who has been one.

The traffic warden is "special police officer" in legalese. He is a police officer, appointed for a special purpose. He has all powers and authority of a normal police officer. He is also subject all the responsibilities and liabilities of a normal police officer - means subject to the disciplinary action, penalities, etc.

In practice, he is paid daily wages - depending on the State, it would vary. In KL, it is 200 rupees.

They fill the huge number of vacancies in the police force.

The normal police officer is paid same as a clerk sitting behind a desk in the office, under a fan. And unlike the clerk, who gets promotions every 5 to 7 years, the cop stays a cop with may be 2 or, if he is lucky, 4 promotions during his entire career. So, the typical youth, who is hankering after any sarkari job, and has appeared for umpteen number of tests conducted by the public service commission will jumb from police department to any other job in any other department as soon as he is offered one. So, the vacancies are not always creation of a lethargic babudom.

The uniforms are given to them by the police department; so no point in blaming them for bad fit and tailoring. A set of uniforms would cost above 1.2K; one individual would require a pair. In KL terms, that is 12 days wages.

BTW, i employed a guy to dig a hole in my garden last week. I had to pay him 450 INR for working 10 to 5 PM. And that was because he was from AP.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
BTW, i employed a guy to dig a hole in my garden last week. I had to pay him 450 INR for working 10 to 5 PM. And that was because he was from AP.
Not to forget that if he was a mallu, you would have had to provide him with a very good breakfast, lunch (non-veg) and evening tea. Did you have to provide that also? I would think so.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

really?! it looks like non governmental labour has become very expensive.
I guess its easier for these people to increase their rates to cover for inflation and lack of continuous employment.
I feel bad for the people who are asked to work at low salaries and also expected to stay honest while ignoring the temptations of bribes. maybe it should just be legalised, so that the government can ensure the money is at least equitably distrbuted.
Old 22nd February 2011, 00:45   #22
BANNED

biju, no, i avoid feeding such people - their tastes are insatiable. There are 3-4 tea stalls near my house, and they will be more happy having food there. And menu at our house is very bland. Masala in one plate curry at such places will be sufficient for 2 day's cooking for all of us in my family.
Old 22nd February 2011, 07:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Here is the law from somebody who has been one.

The traffic warden is "special police officer" in legalese. He is a police officer, appointed for a special purpose. He has all powers and authority of a normal police officer. He is also subject all the responsibilities and liabilities of a normal police officer - means subject to the disciplinary action, penalities, etc.
Thanks for making it clear that Traffic Warden is a special police officer with all powers. I don't think many people are aware of this.

But what i have observed is if a warden stops any car for any traffic violation he does not have any challan book and the first thing that happens is that he calls the cop to do further duties. My observation may be worng. You are more experienced to tell me if this is true.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:44   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian

By Monday morning I knew what to do. He was not there on Monday and I too had erratic times. Today morning (it is tuesday) I spotted him at duty at the same junction.

So stopped by.

"Tumhara friend kaisa hai" (how is your friend?)

"Abhi tak hospital me hai" (he is still in hospital)

"Sab thik hai?" (Is everything allright ?)

A nod.

"Suno, paisa lautaneka zarurat nahi hai, apne liyea ek acchasa juta yeah aur kuch kharid lena" (Listen, no need to return the money, buy yourself a nice pair of shoes or something")

"ok saab"

And I drive off.

@simplyself, Autonoob, libranof1987, pjbiju, maheshramaling, Jeep, Googleman and GTO,
Thanks for the kind words. I wanted to do something for the guy for a long time, and here was an opportunity. I am no Gandhi on wheels, not by a long shot! Whether it will recur or whether I will oblige again is a question of circumstances.

@mdsaab, I think we are talking of the same person. This is the usefulness of this forum. Do you stay in Kalyani Nagar? We should meet! We stay pretty close to Kalyani Nagar, and end up going there for almost anything.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yeah i do live in kalyani nagar.
Guess we have a few things in common.
Also own a civic.
Actually my dad has helped this guy a couple of times. I helped him once as i posted earlier. Are you heading to sheetal on the 27th for the tapri meet? Would have loved to be there but arriving back in pune only on the 28th. Anyways look forward to meeting up sometime.
Drive safe!
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Thanks for making it clear that Traffic Warden is a special police officer with all powers. I don't think many people are aware of this.
But what i have observed is if a warden stops any car for any traffic violation he does not have any challan book and the first thing that happens is that he calls the cop to do further duties. My observation may be worng. You are more experienced to tell me if this is true.
Maybe the wardens are too active, fit & busy to do the documentation! IMHO, it needs a few examples to be made of rude people in front of general public to prevent such incidents. For example, if someone is speeding or ignoring signals, he/ she should be made to wait at the roadside for an hour or so. The fines are so petty they dont really matter to people these days. These should be charged as a % of the initial cost of the vehicle with which they commit the traffic offence.

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd February 2011 at 22:07. Reason: spelling
Old 24th February 2011, 13:51   #27
BHPian

A very good deed, Dot. Hope he is not untrue else the intention to help people will be overriden by doubt.
If you get your money back, request you to give him a small token of appreciation.
Old 25th February 2011, 05:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The fines are so petty they dont really matter to people these days. These should be charged as a % of the initial cost of the vehicle with which they commit the traffic offence.
I read recently that the somewhere in Europe (I think switzerland) they passed a law that charges speeding violators a percentage of their annual income (not a fixed amount fine). I guess that would be a welcome but impractical change in India.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:49   #29
BHPian

@dot
I really appreciate your gesture towards the guy! While reading your post i realized that though some may be corrupt, many traffic cops do lead an honest and hardworking life. Salute!

That said, I don't want to sound wrong but from what @mdsaab says it seems like a scam. I guess when you'll meet we can get a better picture.

Anyways, if any, Do keep the updates coming!
Old 25th February 2011, 18:52   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
It is more a matter of training.

Also, under the law, the normal cop has very limited powers. It is a police officer the rank of Sub Inspector and above who wield the real power for most purposes. But, do not launch into "i did not stop because you are not a sub inspector" kind of defence. Notice that the other officer with the normal cop is alway a Sub inspector / add|asst sub inspector or above.

Most Viewed