Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 09:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lost my driving licence. Then got a challan for rash driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This is strange as the RTO needs a Police FIR copy before they issue a duplicate license. And the duplicate license has that marked in the number XXXXA or XXXXB or some such. They cancel the old number so that on a later date that license cannot be used.

Seems that in your case that procedure wasn't done else you would have not experienced the present issue.
Maybe that is specific to states.

I lost my DL and tried to register that with nearest police post. All I got was an acknowledgment on applications that said DL was lost.

Did not have any problem with driving around with a photocopy of that for 5 - 6 months, got new DL made after that. Number was same as previous DL.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:38   #32
BANNED

@netfreakbombay - Why did it take 6 months to get a new driving license made? That's a pretty long time!
Old 1st March 2011, 13:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

It took 2 -3 weeks, but took 5 months for me to apply for it .
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:53   #34
DNM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Maybe that is specific to states.

I lost my DL and tried to register that with nearest police post. All I got was an acknowledgment on applications that said DL was lost.

Did not have any problem with driving around with a photocopy of that for 5 - 6 months, got new DL made after that. Number was same as previous DL.
yes, i guess that will be the same thing that happened with my licence too.
I had my dad's friend with me, so i could get the licence faster.
If he wasnt there, even i would have got my licence only after 4/5 months.

An update!

I received a call from an RTO officer today morning.
He said that all details have been sent and that all swipe machines have stored my DL number under the 'RED' list.
Any person caught with my DL Number will be taken to the RTO and will face legal issues.

They will send me a note via post in the next 2/3 days which will authorize my DL Number and licence as the ORIGINAL.
I'm on the safe side then!

Last edited by bblost : 2nd March 2011 at 13:00. Reason: back to back posts. Please use Edit if posting again within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2011, 14:17   #35
BHPian

Carrying a photocopied driving license is not a bad idea - if a pickpocket gets hold of it you still have the original. Also, I keep a copy in each car, for if I forget my wallet in a hurry, I have a copy. The copy is done so professionally these days and laminated so well, that at first glance it is difficult to make it out as such.
Old 2nd March 2011, 14:59   #36
DNM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
Carrying a photocopied driving license is not a bad idea - if a pickpocket gets hold of it you still have the original. Also, I keep a copy in each car, for if I forget my wallet in a hurry, I have a copy. The copy is done so professionally these days and laminated so well, that at first glance it is difficult to make it out as such.
Yes! All these forgeries happen and culprits arent caught because they photocopy the license so clea, that its tough to distinguish between the real one and the photocopied one!

Yes, even I have my licence copy in each car, now after losing my licence and facing such a major problem!
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:25   #37
BHPian

In fact even the RTO smart cards and the insurance papers in my cars are photocopies, for God forbid, your car is stolen, at least you do not loose your originals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks