Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 15:18   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Visitors' Vehicles Not Allowed!

I generally avoid visiting places that don't offer parking. In case of businesses, it is their loss.

When I used to rent office space in Bangalore, the building had 3 floors, each given to different companies. The basement had parking for barely 3 cars. It was so tight, if the center spot is taken, the remaining cars can't get out. In other words, each office had only parking spot, usually taken by the head of the office. Rest were forced to park on the street in front of houses. I wonder how such situations are still allowed.
Old 4th March 2011, 16:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Some malls allow all the customers to redeem the parking fee during purchase (such as Central). Some allow that only for their members (such as Shoppers Stop) and some don't allow at all (such as Forum). But at least, they provide parking space. I think only malls provide ample parking space for customers.

About wedding halls, what I have heard from a civil engineer friend is that, they show the basement as parking area, which is actually used for serving food.

As for the apartment complexes, I think the residents should raise their voices about visitor parking areas. Fortunately for the place I stay in, the builder built additional parking areas (with the hope to sell them to people with multiple cars), and now they are being used by the association for visitor parking. However, the 'visitor vehcicles not allowed' still hangs on the gate (I didn't do this spelling mistake, it's the way it is on that board).
Old 4th March 2011, 19:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

If going to an unknown place, it is really better to find parking scenarios before hand.
As @Samurai, even I dont go to a place, which does not provide parking.
Old 4th March 2011, 20:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
As for the apartment complexes, I think the residents should raise their voices about visitor parking areas. Fortunately for the place I stay in, the builder built additional parking areas (with the hope to sell them to people with multiple cars), and now they are being used by the association for visitor parking.
My younger brother is an officer in Indian Air Force, presently being posted at Rajasthan. He usually comes to Calcutta at least once a year with his wife and child in his i-20 car, as he says it is otherwise difficult for him to bring his two pet dogs. The building where he stays in Calcutta has inadequate parking space (room for only 8 cars, in a building of 14 apartments). Parking places was sold by a lottery held by KMDA (Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority, the promoters) among the flat-owners and he was not allotted one. One or two people who owns individual parking places do not possess a vehicle and he has earlier approached them if he may park his car in their vacant places for a month of his stay, even if it is on a rent. But none has agreed and as a result he has to keep his car parked outside on the main road.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Old 4th March 2011, 21:15   #20
BHPian

Companies like TCS don't have visitor's parking.. leave alone apartments.

By the way, do we have visitor's parking in our independent houses(Rich people kept aside)? Think over it before yawling at such issues....!
Old 4th March 2011, 21:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have my office in Veera Desai Road, when we purchased this office we brought a parking slot for one car.
The society has put a big board on the entrance and it says visitors not allowed to park inside the building, and all dedicated parkings of unit owners have been painted with office numbers, inspite of this many outsiders park their cars in dedicated parkings,they read the board when they enter the bld but are not bothered.

Many times they have parked the cars in my slot I abuse them and ask them are you illiterate ? then make them remove the car immediately, and tell them cant you see the board when you entered. But they are shameless lot wearing tie and sometimes even proper suit and gets inslted in front of other drivers and security guards.About abusing because that is the only language they understand fast.

They have this attitude of not following rules in thier blood.

Adding fuel to the fire the security employed by the bld is making money out of illigal parkings, some managing comitee members are also taking their buck out of this .

In the AGM I pulled them up about parking charges acually collected legally from the unit holders and it was not at all tallying with the numbers of cars parked, The builder is another pest although bld is 10 yrs old he has handed over to the society still he is interfearing with scty matters.

If any unit is to be let out right from security to manager to secretary to that builder gets involved,every one is after as much cutting he can get.

Any new tenent who wishes to come he is given assurance that PARKING IS NO PROBLEM.
In fact four parkings that builder sold recently to a shipping compony in the bld for 40 lakhs.we can get a high end Merc with that money.

That builder is so greedy he has sold a canopy above bld entrance also to a unit holdre

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 4th March 2011 at 21:41.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have a different issue in my society. We have around 350 flats in our society. We also have dedicated visitors parking slots for around 60 cars and 30 bikes. In crunch times we could accomodate another 15 cars and equal number or bikes without blocking the society traffic.

Now most of these visitor's parking slots are occupied most of the time by residents because:
  • It is easier to park and take a car out from the visitor's parking
  • The resident has 1 or 2 parking slots but has 2 or 3 cars
Although till date I have not had a situation where my visitor did not find a parking space, it feels bad that residents are occupying what is rightfully the visitor's parking slots, a facility for which I have paid my contribution.
Old 6th March 2011, 03:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Aren't buildings supposed to legally have a few spots for visitors? Or am I getting my information confused with another country?
Old 6th March 2011, 08:03   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

In Bombay atleast, it's a govt law that each society have 10 or 20% (forgot the exact figure) of parking spaces allotted for visitor parking - I had read this in the newspaper few months back. But I am not sure if it's enforced.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree completely. Apartment complexes should have some slots for visitor parking. I used to live in a complex on Bannerghata Road that had this silly rule. When friends came over they had to park on the busy and badly lit road outside and to compound matters there was a shady bar right outside. Youd never know if your car was going to be scratched on thrown up on by some stupid drunk.

Once a visitor drove in without stopping (security assumed he was a resident) and parked in somebody else's spot. An awful thing to do, and to top it all the spot he chose was that of the complex's secretary: a known gasbag and rabble rouser. I was torn between my genuine sympathy for the guy (I hate when someone parks in my reserved parking too!) and my personal revulsion for him. He charged me a fine of 200/- which I promptly wrote a cheque for and threw in his face!

Digressing I know, but I hate that rule. "Visitors not allowed to park inside"- apart from everything else it sounds so damn rude!
Old 6th March 2011, 11:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

If the parking spaces inside the buildings and complexes are meant for the residents, why should visitors expect to use them? There are a few buildings with a specially demarcated visitor parking area, but they will obviously fail to take in a number of visitors.

Instead of complaining against residents, we should be asking for more public parking spaces (either paid or otherwise).
Old 6th March 2011, 11:56   #27
Team-BHP Support

Ah! The classic problem.

In a country like where every inch is precious and every inch is accounted and has to be paid for, finding an appt. having a parking spot for every flat itself is a problem; leave alone parking spots for visitors.

These days with the concept of underground parking, complexes generally have parking slots 150% the no. of flats in it. But, now a family of 3 has at least 2 cars so that takes up all the space available within the complex. Those who have more end up parking in the slots actually marked for visitors. So again, no place for visitors.

What I have observed in complexes in Bangalore and Gurgaon - there are slots outside the complex for visitors; but then they are so few, they cannot cater to an average no. of visitors.

By the way, just read in the newspaper a couple of days ago : BBMP (Bangalore City Corp) plans to charge a tax for all those who park their vehicles on the roads. So, guess the Govt. has found green pastures!
Old 6th March 2011, 12:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

As per rules in Bangalore no apartment can put a board "Visitors Vehicles not allowed". This rule was brought couple of years back. And every apartment should have dedicated Visitor parking. These days boards like this have reduced but still not much is done for visitor parking inside.
Old 6th March 2011, 13:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the primary reasons why i don't like to live in a "Box".
parking is indeed a luxury. Apartment owners do not always get a free parking slot with their flats. They need to pay the proper square feet price for the parking space.
some times the parking slot itself costs close to 5 lacs + in a averagely priced area.
Old 6th March 2011, 13:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
And every apartment should have dedicated Visitor parking.
This rule can only be applied prospectively from a cut off date. Can't apply to buildings that were completed prior to that date. How can they create space?

Most Viewed