Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2011, 15:27   #31

Re: Visitors' Vehicles Not Allowed!

I stay in an old building, and there are no designated parking spaces for visitors and residents.
We used to allow visitors to park in the building, however our building soon became a "parking lot", with the "so called visitors" parking their bikes for the entire day, while they were out shopping!
It was due to this problem that the " no parking for visitors" boards came up.
Old 6th March 2011, 21:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have been lucky till now on this.
At my home in Kolkata, we park 3 cars, and can squeeze a couple more in.
Never had an issue in any mall in Kolkata, as they have more than enough parking.
In my Kolkata office - yes - there is a parking problem (how could one have only 2 levels of parking for a 13 storied building?). If I do not reach office by 9.30, I can forget about parking inside and have to park outside (that too for a fee). Also - never spotted any visitors' parking area in my office.

In US it is a completely different story - average parking lot per head (not per apartment) in my apartment complex is about 2. That is free. Discerning owners can get garages for a fee.
In my client office, the parking lot is like 2 football fields in size, and has like 30-40 slots for visitors.
I have never spotted any mall in US (except in major cities like NY, Chicago etc) having multilevel parking. All of them has regular parking for acres. Land, you see, is in ample stock here.

Coming to visitors' parking for apartments - I say there should be mandatory 200% (of the number of apartments) parking in all apartments. Now a days many families own more than one car (that fills up , say 150% of the parking lot), but even then there is space for visitors.
Old 6th March 2011, 22:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
In US it is a completely different story - average parking lot per head (not per apartment) in my apartment complex is about 2. That is free. Discerning owners can get garages for a fee.
In my client office, the parking lot is like 2 football fields in size, and has like 30-40 slots for visitors.
I have never spotted any mall in US (except in major cities like NY, Chicago etc) having multilevel parking. All of them has regular parking for acres. Land, you see, is in ample stock here.
That must be because they have three times the land area of India, with one third the population!
Old 7th March 2011, 00:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That must be because they have three times the land area of India, with one third the population!
Yes - not much to think while building a parking lot. Level and asphalt the area, and mark'em - done!
Guess we in India should take cues from parking lots in Japan.
We already have a parkomat with automatic parking in Kolkata - guess more cities should have it -

Parkomat opens today - Times Of India

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks