Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 01:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Truck reversed into my car

Yes, it was a VERY bad day for my Getz today.

While returning from work, I stopped just a bit before my house, to pick up milk & bread. It was hardly 2 minutes from the time I entered and existed the shop when this horrific incident happened in front of my own eyes.

A huge truck while trying to reverse and parallely negotiating the flow of traffic, lost control and crashed right into the rear of my car! The impact was huge and the rear windscreen cracked.

I rushed towards the truck and pulled out the guy. A huge crowd gathered and the usual abuses etc started. I managed to get hold of his license and also called 100 in the meantime. However, taking advantage of the situation, the driver fled the scene.

I went to the police station and filed an NC/accident report (yet to receive a copy, as xerox shops were closed by then).

Prima facie this is the damage:
1. Rear windscreen fully cracked and caved in
2. Left rear light assembly cracked
3. Huge dent in bumper
4. Dent in boot door

I have a cashless comprehensive insurance policy with Bajaj Allianz, with whom I registered a claim right away. However, they are saying that if I wish to get my claim settled through the insurance company of the truck driver (I have his details etc), I need to cancel my claim with BA. Is this advisable? (Keeping in mind the fact that truck drivers wont even acknowledge my claim and most probably would have 'settled it out' with the cops upon payment of some cash).

I would like to get the rear windscreen replaced through WindShield Experts and rest of the bodily repairs done by an Hyundai authorized service center.
How do I go about doing this?

Should I get the windscreen replaced first and then take it to Service Center, or both these repairs can happen simultaneously?
Old 8th March 2011, 08:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Truck reversed into my car

Both the repairs can happen simultaneously, although not sure if Hyundai service center will allow windshield experts to do the work.

If you would like to claim through the truck's insurance company, you have to file FIR, and then file a case in court. It is advisable that you use Bajaj Allianz even though you might have to pay some money out of your pocket. This is true unless there has been some changes in the rules in the recent past.
Old 8th March 2011, 09:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

If yours is the GLS with the rear demister suggest you get it done from Hyundai only.
Old 8th March 2011, 10:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

For you to be able to claim insurance from the trucker's company, you'll have to take the matter to court AND win the case. For obvious reasons, this is simply not practical. best thing to do is follow up with BA for the claim and get all the work done at Hyundai only.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:28   #5
BHPian

Yes, extracting it from the other guy is really a tough task, as it involves police, court and finally the other insurance guy. Also, I heard it takes around 3 months for all these to happen. Get it done from BA and Hyundai.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:04   #6
BHPian

Get it done through BA and Hyundai. Its not worth canceling your claim and then take the turmoil of getting the truck guy and his insurance company to oblige.
All you stand to lose would be the NCB. But then, thank god for it all ended this way. Worse could have happened.
Have been in a similar, yet nasty situation long back with a third party insurance on the car, which was good for nothing.!
Old 8th March 2011, 12:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Please go with the BA insurance and claim the coverage. The total cost of damage will definitely be less than 25K and i dont think BA will request for a FIR.

Its not worth the hassel to go through the police and one has to be highly optimistic to get it resolved in 3 months involving police and Court.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:49   #8
BHPian

It's best and easy to deal it through BA.....it would cost roughly 25K & some 5 to 6K from your pocket.

Since you have the details of the driver & if he is in the same town (address in the DL) - track him down & get some settlement done....at-least 5 to 10K.

If it's a outstation guy - forget about the settlement or TP insurance claim from truck owner. It's a time consuming process.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Only the bumper and some consumables will cost you 50% of its cost. Glass will be covered 100%. ie, you will not loose a lot of money. Claim it from BA, and get it done at Hyundai.

Claiming from the Truck's insurance is a long process, and you will need to shell out the money initially, and then after a year or so, you will get it refunded.

AFAIK, you will need a lawyer and file a case for the same. Not worth it.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:32   #10
BANNED

I think you should get the whole work done from HASS only. Insurance claim will be honored, but be prepared to pay some cost. Only 50% costs are paid by the insurance company for plastic and rubber parts.

I had an accident a while ago in which both the front and the back of my dzire was damaged. The bonnet was dented, the bumper was broken, and so was the rear bumper and boot dented. it cost around 40k to get it repaired. Had to shell out 11k from my pocket.

Like you said, only the rear has been damaged, first you should take down the car to the HASS and let them inspect it. They will file an application to the insurance company after you have filled a form. The insurance company will send a guy to inspect your car and hence, your claim will be approved after all this. It was good that you filed a complaint on the spot.
Here's a link to my thread, hope this helps.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-thread.html
Old 8th March 2011, 16:30   #11
Team-BHP Support

What brand of glass will WindShield Experts provide? And as vid6639 pointed out, what about the rear demister (if the car has one)?

Without any doubt, you should get the car fixed thru' your claim with BA and not bother about the driver's.

About the windshield, consider how much the Insurance will cover for it and how much you'd have to pay. And consider the price difference between the costs at WE and Hyundai. Nevertheless, getting everything done from Hyundai will be hassle-free, quick and they will take the responsibility for all repairs.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:33   #12
BHPian

Hi Nishant, Its really painful incidence. Will suggest to go with the Bajaj Allianz else as you or others fear, you will be in a long loop of the court, lawyer, police and at the end of the day you might shell out from your pocket double the amount of the actual cost.
Old 8th March 2011, 17:07   #13
BHPian

I had faced a similar situation at the factory compound of my client. I got the rear glass with demister changed + denting / painting of the back + rear lamp replaced.

Total bill: 8700, paid 2500 and lost NCB. But the job done at MASS was really good.

You should get a cashless repair at HASS. No point dealing with the truck walas.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:33   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to our stupid laws, your only practical option is to go with your own insurer and repair the damage. It will cost you the 20% NCB when renewing (assuming this is your first claim) but that is minuscule compared to the pain you will go through if you try and claim it through truck's insurer etc. (is that option even available? I had no idea! Also how do you kow the truck is even insured?)

Sympathies though- getting your car crashed into when parked is the worst feeling ever.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I could not update the thread earlier.

After getting over the (knee jerk) reaction of that night, I decided to let go of the police case. My thoughts were corroborated after reading all the comments here (some of which are scary!). I went to Windshield Experts th next morning, who were very prompt and helpful in guiding me through th entire process.

Apart from the 1 day delay in procuring the glass, they took care of insurance and promptly delivered my vehicle the next morning. It cost me Rs 860 (which btw includes Rs 500 as voluntary excess deductible towards an insurance claim).

Since I needed the car urgently, I have decided to get the rear light assembly and other dents repaired after some time.

Praises for WE. They are running a good show!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks