Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 13:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Getting UK driving license

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysk View Post
Let me add that you need to pass both "Objective theory" test and "Hazard Perception" test individually. Hazard perception is essentially to test your "perception" skills and you are asked to "click" mouse as soon as you detect a Hazard in the video (On computer). You need to be carefull, as the click needs to be at right time. The delay gets you lower marks.

I hope I have not confused you. These 2 tests are combined to call "Theroy" test to be taked at Test centre one after the other. i.e. they cannot be split for a later date.

PS:
I have just passed the theory test this friday.
The scorecard:

50/50 for objective questions
60/75 for hazard perception

I bought CD's from DSA which costed around 17Pounds, but it was worth i guess. Now i am familiar with most of the driving rules and things to be done after lot of revisions.
Hazard perception was little tricky part but getting pass mark of 43 is not difficult if you are very attentive.

If anyone else if preparing i would be happy to share the notes and all i have made.

Next step,
starting driving lessons this week. Will be making a bulk booking of 10 classes and if confident i will be booking the test immediately after that in mid / end of may
Old 20th April 2011, 17:04   #17
BHPian

started the driving lessons

when moving off the procedure should be

1. first gear engage
2. Indicators
3. LCR mirror check
4. disengage handbrake and move off if clear

my doubt is mirror check is done before indicators or other way. MSM sequence tells so? But that way you will be putting indicators very late ?

Also what the procedure when stopping vehicle
1. near side of road
2. In a stop - go traffic like in signal lights

whether it should be

0.LCT mirror check
1. lower gear
2. clutch & brake to standstill
3. handbrake
4. neutral
5. release brake

or neutral should be put earlier ?
Old 30th April 2011, 20:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiarider View Post
my doubt is mirror check is done before indicators or other way. MSM sequence tells so? But that way you will be putting indicators very late ?

Mirror to be checked BEFORE giving indicators. Apparently your movements on road should not cause any of the road user to apply breaks. i.e. You give indicators when you are sure that person on the "other" lane (where you intend to change to) would not have to either HONK or Apply break, and only then give indicators.

[/quote]or neutral should be put earlier ?[/quote]

Handbrake FIRST before neutral, logic is that you always maintain control of your car. Changing to neutral means you "exhibit" no control of car during the period car is in neutral and you apply handbrake (No matter even if you have your foot on brake). Remember, you get license if you "exhibit complete control" to the exmaniner. And examiner would be there for 45 mins with you through the lanes. So unless you inculcate these habits, you are likely to make a mistake.

I hope I have answered your 2 questions.

[/quote]Also what the procedure when stopping vehicle
1. near side of road
2. In a stop - go traffic like in signal lights[/quote]

I did not understand your question. Can you elaborate more.
Old 15th June 2011, 19:57   #19
BHPian

Finally got driving license. 5 minors .

3-for not looking mirrors when slowing down
1-signalling
1-observation in junction

Thanks for all the advise.
I went for 10 classes and total expenses come around 600 Pounds. But it is worth going in for. UK license is valid in most countries around the world i think .
Old 15th June 2011, 20:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations fabiarider. Good for you. UK driving laws are very strict and passing their test means a lot. I have been to defensive driving technique arranged by my company and failed almost instantly. The UK road rules are simply to difficult to follow.

One rule which irked me a lot was regarding the approach to a roundabout is give way for the vehicles coming from the right. You have to wait for some time before proceeding even when no one is close to 100 mts from you.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Congratulations fabiarider. Good for you. UK driving laws are very strict and passing their test means a lot. I have been to defensive driving technique arranged by my company and failed almost instantly. The UK road rules are simply to difficult to follow.

One rule which irked me a lot was regarding the approach to a roundabout is give way for the vehicles coming from the right. You have to wait for some time before proceeding even when no one is close to 100 mts from you.
I too had very little confidence that i will be able to pass until i completed 5 classes. What i understand is your pass depends 80% on your instructor and 20% on your luck. My instructor was a punjabi who used to shout at me for all mistakes. I felt like i did not know driving at all during first 3-4 classes eventhough i have been driving in india for around 8+years. But i just persisted with him inspite of all the strain. After 6 classes i started getting less shouts and got confidence.
If your driving instructor fails to point out your mistakes then you are definitely going to fail as the testing guy will find it out for sure.
I got 3 minors for the same thing i.e. for not looking mirrors when slowing down. Instructor used to tell me that i have to look but he never pointed out that i am not looking at mirrors. Dont know why he did not point that out alone.

Hope you got what i meant to say.
Old 15th June 2011, 22:31   #22
BHPian

Good to hear that you passed in the first attempt. I heard it takes in average 5 attempts (including theory and practical) for an average Brit to pass the test. <Flame guard on> Not sure about the validity of the statement as I was told this by one my Brit colleague when I told him I passed in my 1st attempt <Flame guard off>.

An UK DL is a good investment as you can drive in most of the countries(including India). Renting a car and getting a license in US was easy for me with my UK DL.

It will be best if you change you UK DL to an IDL (it has got better acceptability). Any Post Office will have thr form and last time I checked it was around GBP 10-15 to get it done.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:

3-for not looking mirrors when slowing down
1-signalling
1-observation in junction

Thanks for all the advise.
I went for 10 classes and total expenses come around 600 Pounds. But it is worth going in for. UK license is valid in most countries around the world i think .
Those are all minor points and you will learn to get better with these with time too. Passing the examination is all the vindication for the expense you need.

Congratulations!
VCheng is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks