Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 02:07   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Accidents and problems with Mob-like Locals

If there is one thing I've learnt over the years, it's that using a mobile phone with a camera is a very very handy! There is so much you can do with it, apart from the idiotic sex-scandals and privacy-issues.

The next time you have to go to a police station and register a complaint because of something untoward that has happened to you, make sure you have a camera ready.

The moment the cops demand bribes, threaten to take a photo of them or a video, or even a recording of their demand; and then use it against them. Tell them that you will put it in the news paper. Tell them that you have connections with various radio stations and news channels and that it isn't hard for you to ensure that this go public.

Mumble some gibberish, and don't forget to add "supporter of Anna" somewhere in there, along with corruption and bribery. Just watch the way the tails curl up in-between the legs. And suddenly, you're King

This has worked with me, especially with the auto-drivers in the city. The moment they turn you down, whip out your camera and click away, and don't forget to let a threatening sentence slip out.

You have to play dirty, sometimes. Being the good Samaritan will not always work in your favour. people will mistake your kindness for weakness and take advantage of that. They are the scum of the Earth.

One must be assertive and firm. If you bow down, you WILL be the victim. Fight back. Learn your strengths. Use your mind. Be attentive and aware of the situation.

If you're smart and quick enough, you can quickly turn the whole thing back against them, just as they did. Language may be a barrier, and locals in other States can get hostile. But play it cool. Play it smart.

If you people think that this is some gibberish and gyan and I'm just another 22 year old talking like I know everything, then you're so wrong. Take the time to go through this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...extortion.html

I have been a victim of such things. And I've learnt it the hard way. But looking at the bright side, I'm glad that something like this has happened to me. I'm more prepared for such situations now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
@honeybee - I have dealt with Police about 5 times in my life - and every experience had ended in a bribe. Usually when they figure out you can afford to pay them a bribe, they start the squeeze. So instead of paying the local goondas you will be paying the govt. appointed "police".
Honestly, what's the difference? One is in uniform, and the other isn't.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th December 2011 at 02:11.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 09:52   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If there is one thing I've learnt over the years, it's that using a mobile phone with a camera is a very very handy! There is so much you can do with it, apart from the idiotic sex-scandals and privacy-issues.

The next time you have to go to a police station and register a complaint because of something untoward that has happened to you, make sure you have a camera ready.

The moment the cops demand bribes, threaten to take a photo of them or a video, or even a recording of their demand; and then use it against them. Tell them that you will put it in the news paper. Tell them that you have connections with various radio stations and news channels and that it isn't hard for you to ensure that this go public.

Mumble some gibberish, and don't forget to add "supporter of Anna" somewhere in there, along with corruption and bribery. Just watch the way the tails curl up in-between the legs. And suddenly, you're King

This has worked with me, especially with the auto-drivers in the city. The moment they turn you down, whip out your camera and click away, and don't forget to let a threatening sentence slip out.

You have to play dirty, sometimes. Being the good Samaritan will not always work in your favour. people will mistake your kindness for weakness and take advantage of that. They are the scum of the Earth.

One must be assertive and firm. If you bow down, you WILL be the victim. Fight back. Learn your strengths. Use your mind. Be attentive and aware of the situation.

If you're smart and quick enough, you can quickly turn the whole thing back against them, just as they did. Language may be a barrier, and locals in other States can get hostile. But play it cool. Play it smart.
You forget a very important and crucial ingredient for that recipe.. and no, it's not love. Local language.

Say the same thing in Hindi and you'll find yourself facing the wrath of the cops; and trust me, it is so not pleasant. The auto wallahs are another breed altogether.

There's a distinct region-bias in the mentality of most people; not just here but in many parts of India. And that will not go away even if you splash the anna-cap or brandish you phone camera.

2 things help :

1) money
2) connections

Beyond that, you're on your own.
Old 24th December 2011, 17:34   #33
BHPian

Let me narrate an incident which is an exception to the rule.

Two of us were travelling in a car, passing through a small town near Delhi. I was in the passenger seat at the time. The driver slowed down to a speed of around 20 km/hr to do some adjustments. Due to the distraction, the car hit an old man who was walking on the road.

He fell down and had some minor injuries. We quickly got down to help him. A small crowd gathered, and a some harsh words were spoken to us. We apologized and offered to take him to a doctor.

But the old man turned out to be a very decent chap. After a few minutes he got up and said that he was fine. He did not show any anger, and did not want to go to a doctor. Seeing his attitude the crowd also cooled down. We apologized a few more times and left.

I think we were very lucky, considering what usually happens in such situations. Such people are a rare species nowadays.
Old 24th December 2011, 18:54   #34
BHPian

Story 3 is the universal truth, no matter how they ride the bikers are always the victim of bigger vehicles.
Well I guess this autorikshaw driver union menace is prevelant in MH, AP and KA.
I have never heard mafia style hooliganism by auto drivers in Delhi. Well I try to be patient avoiding such arguments (simply to control temper) on the same hand being from Delhi I don't worry about them either here at least.

Story one is pretty filmy types scripted and planned one.

Well to be noted one thing is common all the ACTUAL victims are avoiding POLICE (Law protectors) involvement. I mean just look at the condition, even in the situation where one expect police to get involve and get one out of harassment WE all in subconscious first think to escaping the police involvement.
Old 24th December 2011, 21:54   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a different experience to narrate. This was around 3 years back in Mumbai. I was driving a friend's Pulsar near Worli. We were standing at a crossroads waiting for the signal to go green. As soon as it did, the initial set of vehicles - all being bikes shot ahead. A few meters ahead, a lady and her teenage daughter were hurriedly crossing the road. Weirdly they weren't looking in our side, but looking at the traffic on the other side, even after crossing the divider. All of honked, and braked; but it was too close, she was to hit any one of the bikes. My handle hit the daughter's hand and as a result of that and my braking, we fell down. Thankfully none of us, including the girl was hurt. The mother didn't even get a single scratch, but within seconds of this happening, the mother started wailing loudly in Marathi trying to get the crowd's notice (standing at the other side of the road) towards her.

I was too dazed to even to try to say anything, but I got help from strangers. The other two bikers who narrowly missed hitting the pair had braked ahead and they came to my rescue. Thankfully they were localites and within seconds they had turned the tide on the mother; they reprimanded her for not looking at the traffic while crossing the road. Meanwhile one of them suggested me to get going before any local goons decided to get active, and so I did.

I am still thankful to those strangers for going out of their reach to help me. They could have very well walked away or simply watch the goings from the sideline, but they didn't.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks