Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 17:38   #46
BHPian

Re: A remedy to stop signal jumping

Recently a relative of mine lost his life at a traffic junction.

Reason: An ambulance jumped the signal and rammed into their car which had 5 occupants. 1 (my relative) lost his life. 1 severely injured. 1 minor injury. 2 unscathed.

Now one would say that's bad luck being that it was an ambulance with lights and siren on, which had jumped the signal. The catch is; the ambulance was carrying a dead body.

The matter is in the courts now.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:38   #47
BHPian

Along with CCTV's, if there are flashes which go off mimicking a picture taking, it will be definite deterrent. When people think that their picture is being taken, they will hold their horses.
Old 21st March 2011, 18:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus
Recently I have been to Trichy, where at every traffic light, there is a board, (Crossing Stop line - 50 Rupees Fine - in Tamil and English) and believe me, morning 7:30 am and 99% of the two wheelers were before the stop line.
Well, we used to have this in Chennai in the eighties and I remember people actually stopping at the stop-line. Traffic was less, fines were imposed and 50 bucks was big enough to be a deterrent then. Today, traffic has grown many-fold, enforcing rules is limited to once-in-a-month exercise to meet the target and no one cares about 50bucks today.

I have a query ; Irrespective of the time of day or night, I see that buses (Govt / school / office) are impatient to move even before light turns green. If your car is in front of them, they start honking even when the timer shows 10-15 secs to go and come dangerously close to your car. While I stand my ground most times, I sometimes worry what if they hit my car ? OK, I could have a case filed etc if hit, but I don't want to waste my time on that. And it does not matter that I am driving a sedan. I would be worried even if I were driving a Safari - it still is small compared to a bus and while the bus is driven by a driver (not owner), I am the owner and have to bear the loss. How do you guys deal with this menace ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st March 2011 at 18:07.
Old 21st March 2011, 18:10   #49
BHPian

Give that moron the way. Nothing else we can do. And filing a suit against them is no pain/no gain. And moreover, if we dont, either he hits you, or chases us and gives a dangerous cut. Final say, lose of mind and some dent/scratch on our vehicle.
Old 21st March 2011, 18:14   #50
BHPian

They have installed traffic cameras in a few junctions in Hyderabad. There is one at the Madhapur Police Station junction. This used to be a very lawless intersection but of late I have noticed that people are behaving themselves here.

Other than that, I believe the only way to correct this would be to ask all the defaulters to wait for 2 hours. In India, people casually pay the fine. But ask them to wait and that really gyrates on their nerves - case in point being our aircrafts. As soon as a plane has docked, everyone feels this innate urge to get up.
Old 21st March 2011, 18:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Get automatic bollards. They should be made of titanium. If they still get over the line the bollards will damage the vehicles anyways.

Use those which have capacity to lift 20 tons.

It could be an awesome site to see line crossers jacked up 3-4 feet up in the air along with their vehicles.

Then the morons will come looking to get compensation for the damage, then fine their rears off. You now have substantial evidence provided by the perpetrator himself .

In case you folks are wondering what are automatic Bollards:

Attachment 521273

Attachment 521274

PS: I am serious
majority of the jumpers are two wheelers. They will slip through this easily.
Else it would cause serious damage to the rider In case he falls face first on one of the rods.

This sort of a mechanism is generally used in toll booths or parking lots or how may i put it, "In a Controlled environment".

Brute force is not the solution to the problem again here.

Last edited by vinaydas : 21st March 2011 at 18:26.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps there should be a net (like the safety nets in circuses or the football goals) that can drop from the top when the signal turns red. Of course it needs to be strong enough to prevent a vehicle from tearing through it!
Old 21st March 2011, 19:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Notwithstanding the comments made over misplaced sympathies, I'd still stick to my views that two wrongs don't make a right!

In any case, I also think that an electronic chip based solution can also work. This has already been piloted in some countries where Chips have been used to monitor the speed of a car.

An extension of this technology can be used to automatically invoke traffic violation notices and consequently fines, for a variety of traffic violations, including but not limited to, red light jumping, driving faster than prescribed speeds, car not in properly maintained condition, instant notification of collision etc.

All the components required to make this system work, are already available at a low cost, and can be leveraged to make our roads safer and traffic better.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:21   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
They have installed traffic cameras in a few junctions in Hyderabad. There is one at the Madhapur Police Station junction. This used to be a very lawless intersection but of late I have noticed that people are behaving themselves here.
At the Rai Durgam Signal Hyderabad, a biker was standing 3 feet behind the stop line. It was just the two of us at the signal. So I asked him, why was he standing like that.

He had been issues a Photo Challan and hence was being careful.

This system is ray of hope.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Recently a relative of mine lost his life at a traffic junction.

Reason: An ambulance jumped the signal and rammed into their car which had 5 occupants. 1 (my relative) lost his life. 1 severely injured. 1 minor injury. 2 unscathed.

Now one would say that's bad luck being that it was an ambulance with lights and siren on, which had jumped the signal. The catch is; the ambulance was carrying a dead body.

The matter is in the courts now.
Sir sorry to hear about your relatives. But the whole point of having barricades or ropes or anyother form of physical stopping would be fine for normal vehicles, but what if a emergency vehicle has to pass through? Does it also have to wait in the queue? As in the above accident case, lights and siren on, irrespective of what it was carrying would bring no harm to the emergency vehicle. Do update regarding the verdict of the case, would be interesting to know if an ambulance can be indeed fined or punished even with siren on. I would suggest its better we have CCTV camers installed(well not just be there for the name sake) but do take pics and send out challans.

In chennai, I have often seen the traffic cops themselves, asking the vehicles to clear the signal even before it turns green as the pile would be quite long. So there have to certain exceptions to the rule and things need to be done according to the vehicular density. A rule suitable for one country must not neccessarily suit everywhere else.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:42   #56
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Notwithstanding the comments made over misplaced sympathies, I'd still stick to my views that two wrongs don't make a right!
Way to go mate. No offence intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
All the components required to make this system work, are already available at a low cost, and can be leveraged to make our roads safer and traffic better.
Totally agreed. So it is just that the will is not there.
Old 21st March 2011, 22:43   #57
BHPian

The problem with solutions of these kinds is, people will always find a way around it. Case in point, couple of intersections where I stay, DRDO has put up dividers for about 15-20 feet in each direction and a speed breaker before the intersection. A good number of bikers and the occasional 4-wheeler have no second thoughts about crossing the intersection using the incoming lane - just to avoid the speed breaker.

In a lighter vein, implement electronic chips and you will have a thriving market which will hack it. Bollards would mean, goodbye footpath, since that would be the new road.
Old 21st March 2011, 23:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Get automatic bollards. They should be made of titanium. If they still get over the line the bollards will damage the vehicles anyways.

Use those which have capacity to lift 20 tons.

It could be an awesome site to see line crossers jacked up 3-4 feet up in the air along with their vehicles.

Then the morons will come looking to get compensation for the damage, then fine their rears off. You now have substantial evidence provided by the perpetrator himself .

In case you folks are wondering what are automatic Bollards:

Attachment 521273

Attachment 521274

PS: I am serious
bro, i couldn't agree with you more! however, we've got to have them placed closer or else the the two wheelers can squeeze by. these should start receding into their housing 5secs to green, thereby ensuring no one jumps the signal before the lights go green!

btw, if you guys are not aware, these bollards can stop a LCV dead in its tracks! these are mostly used at embassies and high security areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
On a funnier note, a big Hahaha noise from signal itself when someone jumps it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
On a technical side, in bikes, the engine comes to off when the petrol reaches reserve. The car turns off when no petrol/diesel. As I was going through other posts, the chip idea got my mind.

All vehicles should have a chip, which will have sensors to detect the Signal light. If there is a red light, the engine turns off. And if green no action taken.

Just imagine, a bike/car with that chip, the driver thinks he can jump the signal, tries to speed, but the vehicle shuts off and he is now in the middle of the road cant do anything. He is humiliated first, surrounded by other vehicles abusing him and the cop can catch hold of his collar and do whatever they want.
your idea is sound, however implementation would be a nightmare. the vehicle manufactures might not want to these gadgets to be factory fitted which means, these would have to be installed by the owners and we'll know where that will end up.

a good idea nonetheless
Old 21st March 2011, 23:04   #59
Team-BHP Support

As I see it, there is no solution.

One can say that the cops should impose very heavy fines. I know of one law breaker who I had an encounter with, and he still hasn't paid off 3 of his traffic-offenses.

One can also say that brute force is the answer. But again, that would mean that Darwin's theory on evolution is wrong. We're just proving to ourselves that we're going backwards.

Bollards, spike-strips, cameras, all of them are good options. But we have to get the traffic to follow rules by making sure that they understand what the rules are and what they are for. By using these methods, we're basically parenting road users. Aren't we all grown up for that? Looks like we aren't, after all.

I'd like to believe that the only thing we can look forward to is good education, good up-bringing, and common sense. I hope and pray, every day, that people become smarter and realize that what they're doing, by trying to save a few minutes, is down-right wrong and risky to the core.
Old 21st March 2011, 23:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
As soon as the traffic light turns red, a barricade should be lowered onto the road to physically prevent any vehicle from crossing over beyond the stop line. The barricade will be lifted only when the light turns green. This barricade would be similar to the one seen at the manned railway crossings.

This will get rid of signal jumpers permanently.
what if a ambulance or a emergency official vehicle wants to get by?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks