Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 07:18   #61

Re: A remedy to stop signal jumping

In my opinion strict enforcement of laws, a sizable fine along with a central database of offenders will help curb the menace. Lots of people pay off the one time fine and are back to breaking the rules. In order to avoid this, the central database should be acccessible to insurance companies and the insurance premium charged should take into account these traffic offences. On the other hand a discount should be offered on insurance premium for those who have not committed any offences for a number of years...
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:17   #62
Senior - BHPian

Maybe another reason for signal jumping is the timing of the signal changing. I have seen at major signals like Teen haath naka in Thane having signal times of 30 secs when there is a huge traffice waiting at the signal to go. This small window of signal going green is insufficient for even 20-30% of the traffic waiting because of which I have seen many a bikers, autos and even small cars jumping the signal and avoid getting hit by the oncoming traffic by the whisker. Very dangerous condition. And the traffic mama sits there and enjoys this tamasha chewing and spitting tobacco.
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:20   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
what if a ambulance or a emergency official vehicle wants to get by?
Good point, but consider it as an exception. I'm sure by following a lot of rules, the purpose of emergency vehicles will reduce. The point here is, on how to stop/prevent, people from jumping signals.

In many signals, a loud continuous beep comes up from a sensor, the moment someone tries to cross the signal line, after it turns red. Atleast, this alerts the cops around. Also, I have noticed cameras mounted on most of the lamp posts in many signals. I'm pretty sure, traffic offenders are punished, if they are caught on camera.

However, most of them stop their car or bike, on the Zebra Crossing, even if they know, that the signal is turning red and they start moving before it turns green
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
What about the possibility that his whacking someone would hit someone in a very wrong way, and cause permanent physical damage or a bad accident? This is not the first example where I have seen or heard of Armymen misusing their impunities. I believe this is another example of using lawlessness to combat lawlessness!

In Kanpur, years back, I have seen policemen shoving their Lathis (sticks), into motorcycle wheels, to stop them, if they did not stop when they ordered them to! Every single instance, I have seen the rider fall down very hard, to be later beaten up even more, by the policeman.

These ARE NOT solutions that a mature and civilized society should put up with, irrespective of whose fault it is! I think the enforcement of legal provisions needs to be driven harder (like Singapore), and the fines should be prohibitive, and possibly some time behind bars, for people to rethink their ways.

Delhi Police is taking a good step by trying to up the enforcement and fines, but let us wait and watch how well they succeed...
A mature and civilized society should also not tolerate drivers who violate the traffic rules and then don't stop when ordered by cops which is another violation of the traffic rules. And I am sure these are all daily drivers who are habitual offenders. I have no sympathy for them. If they don't want to be caned or dislodged from their bikes forcibly, they should stop at the red lights. As simple as that.

I am amazed at the response it has generated. It's not even 12 hours, and there are already four pages! I guess whatever solution we design or implement, it's safe to say everyone here hates those who jump signals. Which is a comforting thought.

Old 22nd March 2011, 09:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
it's safe to say everyone here hates those who jump signals. Which is a comforting thought.
Definitely but slowly are'nt we becoming a part of the signal jumper fraternity by just overlooking the situation? Many a times I had this guilt that I would drive along with the rest of the crowd even if the signal has 10-15 secs still left to turn green. You could see half of the traffic is already moved and you would not want to be a traffic obstructer by waiting at the signal.

Until and unless every commuter erases his/her own traffic rules and follows the one laid out common for every one the signal jumping trend is here to stay. I feel I must make no traffic signal jumping resolution to the top 5 new year resolutions and ensure that it stays there every year.
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:28   #66
Senior - BHPian

We can have engine jammers get to work when the signals turn red - all cars/vehicles stall where they are. Those who are beyond the stopping line have to pay the fine as cops can move in swiftly.

Of course the cops should have no control of the jammers !
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:26   #67
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Definitely but slowly are'nt we becoming a part of the signal jumper fraternity by just overlooking the situation? Many a times I had this guilt that I would drive along with the rest of the crowd even if the signal has 10-15 secs still left to turn green. You could see half of the traffic is already moved and you would not want to be a traffic obstructer by waiting at the signal.
Yes, it is an everyday dilemma. Any solutions?
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:32   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I agree completely - it is a hateful habit, as is sitting in the wrong lane and trying to barge in to another lane when the signal changes.
When the traffic light shifts to yellow/amber from Green it is the right thing to do to come to a dead halt and wait one's turn.
But in India overall, our primary urge seems to be to want to get ahead of all others, whatever the cost of our actions. No one is prepared to wait or queue up or follow any rules whatsoever.
This is not isolated to bikers, autos, BPO taxis and suchlike. Even private cars driven by reasonably respectable looking individuals do it or their drivers / chauffeurs do it.
Contrast this with any developed country where politeness and a sense of give and take pervades the roads!
Maybe we on this Forum should make a silent pact with ourselves and between us all to ensure that we all follow the road rules under any and all circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
A mature and civilized society should also not tolerate drivers who violate the traffic rules and then don't stop when ordered by cops which is another violation of the traffic rules. And I am sure these are all daily drivers who are habitual offenders. I have no sympathy for them. If they don't want to be caned or dislodged from their bikes forcibly, they should stop at the red lights. As simple as that.

I am amazed at the response it has generated. It's not even 12 hours, and there are already four pages! I guess whatever solution we design or implement, it's safe to say everyone here hates those who jump signals. Which is a comforting thought.

Old 22nd March 2011, 11:34   #69
BHPian

Funny thing happened on a Cauvery Junction Signal in Bangalore about couple of weeks back. There was this brand new white BMW M5 (I didn't even have any number on its plate but some yellow sticker) which was trying to cross the signal even when the light had turned red. But the light had turned green for the other (perpendicular) signal and there was this Goods Carriage Rickshaw which took off. The BMW wallah stopped right in middle of the signal and then the driver thought probably it can zoom off, but no no no. As it tried to do that, the rickshaw wallah who was trying to avoid contact, brushed badly into the of the BMW. The tail light was broken and the scratches were innumerable apart from the dent whereas nothing really happened to the carriage rickshaw. I felt for the car, but I was laughing at the driver. I'm sure he's buried somewhere safe right now! :P

Last edited by creative420 : 22nd March 2011 at 11:38. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:37   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
majority of the jumpers are two wheelers. They will slip through this easily.
Else it would cause serious damage to the rider In case he falls face first on one of the rods
Like another member here puts it. sabynag i guess Indians are calculative. What is the gain for me in this if I do this wrong. What weighs out the negatives.

Getting hurt and killing themselves is a big loss for our smart road users. They wont try any stunts then.

Anyways I have seen riders killing themselves on road medians. How do we equate that?

The problem is the issue with I can get away from anything. This mentality needs to be killed first. Once that is done see everyone follow the rules to the T.

I am a two wheeler rider myself and am on a bike for 70% of my commute. And I would want to see this system.

For the squeeze through part make them closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
these should start receding into their housing 5secs to green, thereby ensuring no one jumps the signal before the lights go green!
We are cattle we need to be herded. Barricades and similar options is the only way to go for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
what if a ambulance or a emergency official vehicle wants to get by?
They will lift it up. Once they come down does not mean that they cannot be lifted ever again.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree, that the fine charged should be so heavy, that everyone who jumps the lights would shiver on hearing the amount. Say Rs. 5000 or so. Plus make it a point that the fine is not given on the spot, so no question of bribing the cops.

Make a system, where the offender, is handed a receipt from the cop, and then the offender has 24 hours to go and pay it in, say a post office or even the main police station. Failing to do so, would see an increase in the fine amount.

But then again, for this to be implemented, we would need a central database, to track the offenders.

Hmm, on other thoughts, just be the one that follows rules. If, even one person stops because you have, you have done something good there itself.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
It does not make sense to sympathise with the traffic offender here. After all, jumping the signal could mean a worse accident for someone else who is not aware. The person jumping the signal is aware of the risk, but not the other travellers around.

I think I know this place you are talking about. I remember he whacked a scooty/ activa once as one of the notorious masked ladies had jumped the signal. I dont think he had the heart to hit her. Ironically, there was a bigger oncoming vehicle and this lady shivered in her tracks
Hey buddy, yep you are absolutely right have seen the same. For ladies he hits the vehicle. And you know this area. Its actually part of the highway. And people still jump the signal. Its such a shame!
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:27   #73
BHPian

I saw a wonderful method followed by RPF in Tambaram long back. A lot of school children used to cross the tracks instead using the FOB. The RPF used to catch them make them stand till they catch another guy crossing the track and leave.

Catch the signal jumper, make him compulsorily wait for 15 mins, then let him off if catches another guy jumping the signal.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
'Signal Jumping - Fine Rs.1,000" - at every intersection

Good suggestion.

However, in a lighter vein, I only hope miscreants will not scrape away the "Rs. 1000" part to make it look like

SIGNAL JUMPING - FINE

Even I feel that consistently fining the offenders severely is the best solution
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:47   #75
Senior - BHPian

I do not see any measures working in our country just because no body ever takes the effort of being disciplined let alone caring for other's as well as their own lives.

Traffic offenders are a menace on our roads with no respect to human life and this is due to the fact that our entire system is faulty and it would take a zillion years for us to dream of witnessing and experiencing a perfect responsible drive on our roads. Points system for offences just like in the west can be implemented atleast to reduce the percentage of offences only but again the system is so faulty that nothing would ever work let alone implementing it.

I wonder how difficult is it for all traffic offenders to be disciplined ? Certainly it is a question of human lives and those morons will never value it.

"During my stay in Bangalore I was driving around with a few of my US counterparts and looking at the random offences they commented that I guess everyone here in India only wants to move ahead without due respect to other's time and lives."

I was speechless but that is a fact and unless people realize it on their own nothing could be done. It is a dream which everyone here will dream on!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks