Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 18:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Mistake by me, but big Mistake by a Traffic COP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
No comments on what the cop did or you did.

BUT DON'T TOUCH ANOTHER GUYS BIKE.
I cant stop laughing at this comment.

The only odd feeling i get is that, someway you might have answered the cop a bit rude or very casually which should have made him upset.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:15   #32
BHPian

People can be rude if he/she is penalized for no mistake done. My thread title says, I have done the mistake. So, I was never rude. I knew what happens if I act like that. There was no question/answer with the SI. He was asking the sign, I was saying I have no money.

Dot
Old 6th April 2011, 18:16   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
WOW!! dreams what power you hold man..

YOU ARE YOU!! We are happy to have such a powerful person like you amidst us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Is that an compliment spitfire pal. If yes, I am overwhelmed. I had no other choice at that stage, but to show my power/influence. And that was the first and last time I had to use it.
dre@ms: That was Spitfire's sarcasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Ever heard of the adage "Discretion is the better part of valour"? Learn to pick your fights buddy; also, when you do pick one, fight alone, and not with Mummy's help.
My signature??. About "fighting with Mummy's help", if 10 people are going to punch someone up, wouldn't it be wiser for the victim to get help? BUT, IMHO, it is uncertain "who is wrong and who is right" So, that logic would apply depending on "who is wrong".

Quote:

All the drama started only when he assaulted me.
@spitfire
It was not a minor offense. The main reason VAC was behind me is because, the cop assaulted/abused me. They are not cheapos to support me.
If it was assault, then you have every valid reason to have approached the VAC; but what will clear all this bashing here is, if we can know, what exactly conspired in your discussion with the SI after he bade goodbye to the Scorpio guy? What exactly was the conversation?

Quote:
I also agree, not everybody has contacts.
Edit: Good soul - Arkin evoisrevo

Dot.
I feel this is becoming yet another bashing thread, and regret I ever asked dreams what happened. (Blame it on my curiousity to know about the vigilance wing of the police).
The thread could probably have been narrated better, in order for us to have a clear picture.

I guess I'll just end by saying, I'm not supporting anyone. And also, using power and influence is not wrong, but only when you are using it for the good, and in order to see that the law is upheld.
Dre@ms, next time, please don't fake at first and then want to pay up like you mentioned that you did.

From your posts, you seem to be a responsible rider now keep it that way : - ).

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 6th April 2011 at 18:19.
Old 6th April 2011, 19:04   #34
BHPian

My guess is that the SI was annoyed with the casual attitude of dreams leaning against / touching his bike. Most people in uniform expect - not necessarily command - respect. So it was a case of 2 egos clashing and as is the norm in our country, the one with better connections showed the other person who's the boss. We do have a traffic DSP here in my town who's a stickler for rules. No matter who the offender is this guy makes sure he's penalized or taken to task without the fear of reprimand as he's related to the state's chief secretary. It's actually a joy to watch him on duty. I'll narrate a small incident : A swift was stopped for using a number plate that read "human rights comission" and no number. The guy was asked to give his licence and car papers and told that the vehicle had been impounded. Car owner shows attitude and pulls out his cell " bhaiyya se baat kar lo" - "speak to my boss" DSP : " This vehicle has been impounded,and if you've pulled a similiar stunt on your car too, rectify it, as that vehicle too shall be impounded if found plying on the road, and tell this bloke that if he tries acting any more smart I'll have him booked for obstructing a public servant on duty"
Old 6th April 2011, 19:11   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
. We do have a traffic DSP here in my town who's a stickler for rules. No matter who the offender is this guy makes sure he's penalized or taken to task without the fear of reprimand as he's related to the state's chief secretary.
A public servant doesn't need "relations" and "contacts" to do his duty.

He requires honesty and integrity, and sometimes, the guts the fight against what's wrong. Law is the law. Uphold the law, and the law will in turn protect you.
This is from personal experience.

EDIT: In hope this post was not OT.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 6th April 2011 at 19:12.
Old 6th April 2011, 19:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
No comments on what the cop did or you did.

BUT DON'T TOUCH ANOTHER GUYS BIKE.
+1 Exactly!

Dreams hope you dont mind if you were in a queue and I was the guy behind and I was resting my baby finger on your shoulder?

And you used your connections, big deal like someone else said!

Last edited by jalex77 : 6th April 2011 at 19:27.
Old 6th April 2011, 21:00   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting on late in to the thread but:

From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

corruption
n : lack of integrity or honesty (especially susceptibility to
bribery); use of a position of trust for dishonest gain
[syn: {corruptness}] [ant: {incorruptness}]

We only think corruption in terms of bribes but this is the real corruption. Using influence when in clear violation of law.
@OP: Since you had signed the challan and readily acknowledged the violation of MV Act. then why not pay fine and move on? Even if he abused you you could always take recourse to law and launch a counter complaint. That way the fellow would have really learnt his lesson - assuming that he is real low life as VAC guys tell you.

And VAC's job is to root out corruption. And they are using naked power to corrupt.

Disgusting.
Old 6th April 2011, 23:39   #38
BHPian

OMG!!! Where is this thread heading???

Hold on guys, let be I made the mistake, I feel pity on the SI, hell at VAC supporting me.

A person drafts a email, checks and re-checks and was about to send it, his friend passed by and seeing the email, reads through it and founds a silly mistake made, which would have changed the complete intention of the mail.

Dot
Old 6th April 2011, 23:51   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. No helmet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
From your posts, you seem to be a responsible rider now keep it that way : - ).

May be you entirely missed this

What would a common man do or suppose you were pulled up like this in another city where you don't have any contacts and or influences, what would you have done? Swallowed your pride or fought tooth & nail?
Old 7th April 2011, 00:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
May be you entirely missed this

What would a common man do or suppose you were pulled up like this in another city where you don't have any contacts and or influences, what would you have done? Swallowed your pride or fought tooth & nail?
You missed it completely pal. Read below my phrase,

Quote:
And now I am very concerned, since my wife is waiting for me at home
Sure this thread is goin on fault finding mode. First it was on me, now on people who supports me even a inch.

LOL

Dot

Last edited by dre@ms : 7th April 2011 at 00:21.
Old 7th April 2011, 00:44   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Yawn. But the replies to this thread are fun

Rs.100 or whatever fine or one wasted day to show-off? Choose the wise one buddy.

Quote:
Cops used to say, you are like my son and the offender used to say, you are like my father. These terms are basically used to show that the offender has done a mistake which he shouldn't repeat.
What is this? Mega serial? ROFL
Old 7th April 2011, 00:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yawn . in nutshell you got caught for speeding ( OK he did not have speed gun and did a guesstimate) you pulled your connections and the SI was pulled up big deal.
Quote:
The reason why we were furious is the kind of behaviour shown by the SI. He was behaving as if, he was the police department. Damn.

I am also going to term the vigilance department as VAC, because this is the term used by us and the constable throughout this incident.

As a sneak peek, this incident started at around 1130 and ended by 1800 hours.

........... Pardon me for the long post and thanks for reading.

The End.

YOU ARE A HERO (HONDA SPLENDOUR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You did the right thing by showing the SI who is the man. These people need to be taught a lesson.
Absolutely, we will all go to dreams to get our dream fulfilled now.

JOKES apart, where does the VAC come in here, you have not said a single thing about the cop asking you for a bribe, he only ticketed you and asked you to pay up. I can only see EGO in this especially yours because you have a powerful mommy and everyone in VAC wanted to see her darling son romping about inside the VAC campus. Wish I had knew you earlier, would have saved me a few hundred bucks. And after all this the concerned husband went home by 7 pm instead of 12.00 pm.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th April 2011 at 11:14.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OMG!!! The VAC is like a island. There was a check-post, before which, the constable asked my friend to alight since 3 person on the bike is not allowed further.
Quote:
He also said, at this stage he was not able do anything, but not to worry, will trap in a bribing case.
Quote:
We went in the constable bike. Roaming inside the VAC island was too good, every cop inside saluted us, they mistook us also as an cop, and riding the cop vehicle.
Some VAC and an even better law abiding citizen I would say.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:35   #44
BANNED

How dare you touch a policewallahs Bullet . But if you had been a little patient with him then you wouldn't have to go to all this harakiri. The SI was not at fault for stopping you nor for fining you. Just because he yelled at you, you took offence, ignore his stupidity and just pay the fine and get out of there fast.

Dude you made that day miserable for yourself, the SI, the VAC inspector, your mom, friend, everybody man .. and you think you won
Old 7th April 2011, 09:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what had actually transpired between dre@ms and the SI. So wont comment on right or wrong. I'll share my personal experience.

Year 2007, I was new to Pune and riding a bike from Deccan towards Laxmi Road (my first on that route) and was not aware that the Sambhaji bridge (Lakdi Pul) is No-entry for two wheelers. I crossed and stopped at the Police post at the end of the bridge, and requested the constable (who was inside the post) for directions to Laxmi Road. He came smiling and asked me to pay fine. On asking for the reason he told me. I said that I was not aware of the same and there is no sign board at the start of the bridge. He said that he understood that I didn't knew the rule otherwise I would not have stopped to ask for directions from him and grinned. I got pissed off as I was sure I didn't saw any sign board, on asking he said there is one and I my look for that next time. I was asked to pay fine of Rs. 100, that I paid (as there was no point arguing as if a sign board was there then I would have missed that) and got a receipt.

On the way return I came through Z-Bridge and again went to start of the Sambhaji bridge to look for the sign board. I found a small board written in Marathi language depicting a motorcycle. I asked a fellow on the road for the meaning he said "No two-wheelers allowed on bridge". And there was no other board in either english or hindi. When I told about this incidents to my colleagues who reside in nearby localities, they said that this board is a money minting machine as unsuspecting people get caught at the other end and are asked to pay fine. Traffic police staff can be posted at the bridge entrance but not done deliberately. This has been highlighted in local dailies on more than couple of occasions. Almost all people, excluding those fore-warned about trap by their friends/ family, get fined in this manner whether they are from non-marathi background or otherwise. As during rush hour no one can focus on the small board.

The point I am trying to make here is that police in every part of India have unique ways of making money (here flouting the rules for putting up a traffic sign board). Every thing goes fine till you pay fine without asking questions and if you ask even the most genuine question these guys start behaving rudely. Sometimes if they had an off day at their office or home then you can expect all kind of 'pleasantries' from them.

The incidence I mentioned above is one of the many I've faced during my stays at different cities across India.

One more incidence I would tell here. Year 2008. Me and my friend were riding his bike in Ambala Cantt. (Haryana). There at Indira Gandhi Chowk, traffic police was stopping every biker and asking for relevant papers, and fining (extorting money, as no receipt was given) from those who were not having all the documents. We were told to stop and asked the documents. My friend showed all the documents, and when the SI could not find any issues, he rudely told my friend to take off his helmet when he standing in front of him. We felt really bad, as this could have been communicated in a much civilized way. Though my friend complied to 'the order' he was fuming and I could see on his face. We stood there for next 10 mins and waited for further instructions. None came, so my friend asked him that whether could we leave. At this the SI said "tere ko badi jaldi padi hai, khada reh chup chap" (you seem to be in hurry, stand quietly). This enraged my friend through his head, he shouted full volume in a typical army way (my friend was Captain in Indian Army and was on vacation) "You bloody police man, I am polite to you that doesn't mean I can take what ever you may say. You are misbehaving without any reason and for this I can immediately get you suspended. Call your CO, I want to talk to him now". The SI's face faded immediately seeing the sudden outburst, the constables accompanying him back tracked. The SI timidly apologized and tried to tell they as doing a random check, so it sometimes they have to be strict. My friend replied that he very well knows what they were checking pointing to the money bag that they had; he noted the SI's name and asked the police station that he was attached to. And then he told SI that he could have called the Army Police and got him arrested for extorting money from public, but now he'll just call his CO and inform him about the whole thing. Then we left, once at home, my friend called the police station and got the number of CO; narrated the whole story and asked whether it is needed of him to come and file an FIR. The CO said "not required, he'll look into it". We couldn't followup as our vacations were over and we had to leave for our workplaces.

It's not the rules that the police staff shows (even the rules are bent for their objective of extorting money), its the unruly behaviour that gets most of us pissed off. If I have done traffic rule violation, I am ready to pay the fine as that was my fault, but in no situation I expect some empty headed guy shouting or misbehaving with me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed