Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2007, 18:13   #1
BHPian

CEDIA Sport : Kochi to Bangalore via Wayand, Gundalpet.

Kochi to Bangalore via Wayand, Gundalpet-Wonderful

I travel a lot between Kochi and Bangalore. And every time i choose the route via Kozhikode, Sultan Battery, Wayanad, Gundalpet and Mysore.

My ride

This time I travelled down to Bangalore with my dad in our Mitsubishi Cedia sports sedan. We started off from Kochi in the morning, amidst slight drizzle. Good that we started early in the morning, traffic was meagre. Dad was driving ( One of the most law abiding drivers around, but has a weakness for breaking egos of Scorpio drivers or rather rogue drivers who happen to drive a nice scorpio.)The trip till Kozhikode was pretty dull. Yeah the roads were good, and 2 or 3 Scorpios kept dad busy...I was scanning the roads for interesting clicks(I have a Sony Ericsson k810i mobile phone thats pretty neat for taking medium quality stills). Well there wasnt much luck for me till we crossed Kozhikode.

Along the road, somewhere near Kozhikode

I was getting a little impatient to get behind the steering wheel, but thats when we started the high range climb in Wayanad. Wow! the sky was amazing...air so cool...the vegetation so lush and green...perfect setting for my K810i mobile cam . Soon i was doin wat i love doing...clicking away to glory! It was truly heavenly....no wonder!!! i am in God's own country na!

Gateway to heaven

The meandering roads when driven on, in the cedia, imparted a special pleasure...a feeling of bliss..cotton soft suspension coupled excellent response, this car has some seriously good handling. Dad was on cloud nine, so was i...but like i told u i was more engrossed in my photography for the time being.

Curvy beauty

Bird's eye view

Leaving Wayanad behind, we continued our journey, crossed Sultan Battery...had stopped by a restaurant there for a nice lunch...yumm the Aila(mackerel) fry was awesome!!!

Then we entered the bandipur forest area...It was afternoon time, so I knew chances of seeing our friends of the wild were meek. But we did catch a few monkeys that looked rather amused by seeing this guy taking pics from this red beast! But the icing on the cake was a cute jumbo who posed so well for me to take a click!!!

These 2 pics were taken with a different cam, a kodak c875
Monkey business

Jumbo babe( i think its a she)

I thought the roads were pretty good, just bad in patches here and there. Some construction was going on at certain spots. But boy was i wrong!!! It was really bad once we neared Gundalpet. And thats when Dad felt a lil drowsy and handed over the drive to me. I enjoyed the soft suspension of the evo gene holder, aa they sent Dad into a cradled sleep...he was sleeping like a baby..hehe.

Athough the next stretch of 15 kms were bad, as in the road condition, the natural beauty was amazing.

Potholed beauty

Soon the roads matched the natural beauty, boy was i glad!

Pure Exhilaration

And as we neared Mysore, I watched out for those mini-lakes that are great to photograph. By now Dad had woken up, we stopped at a Refuelling-station along the highway, refuelled the car and helped ourselves too. We switched roles, i was again back in the boring one of the front seats..hehe. I started clicking again...

Field day

Stroked by god

Water-Colored

Soon after we hit Mysore road and then next stop was Bangalore. The trip was simply awesome, as it is the case most of the time. We had a wonderful time with nature, Mitsubishi and yeah, with each other. I am so glad i was able to share the joy with all u guys at TeamBHP!

Until next time bye bye!
Drive safe!
And wish you all a very happy and safe diwali!
Regards,
Mukul Soman & Soman S.P(Dad )
Old 8th November 2007, 22:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up, Mukul.
I used to travel quite a bit b/w the same locations. My dad used to always do the Ghat section,since he was familiar with the hair-pin bends. I took over the whole part once I got some experience on those roads.Its always fun to drive through Gungulpet.
We had an accident there way back in 1995,and everytime we'r in the forest,we'r reminded of it.
None-the-less..its a good route to drive on ( sans the traffic upto Mysore).
Old 8th November 2007, 23:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Nice write up, Mukul.
I used to travel quite a bit b/w the same locations. My dad used to always do the Ghat section,since he was familiar with the hair-pin bends. I took over the whole part once I got some experience on those roads.Its always fun to drive through Gungulpet.
We had an accident there way back in 1995,and everytime we'r in the forest,we'r reminded of it.
None-the-less..its a good route to drive on ( sans the traffic upto Mysore).
Thankx Nithin. Its a very nice route for sure! The problem is that dad just hates sitting in any other seat apart from the driver's!!!Actually the ghat section road is nicely done up now, hairpins are pleasure to take!! Wat kind of accident did you meet up wid? i am a little curious you see!
Old 9th November 2007, 15:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice Travelouge Mukul.. That one was the new Cedia.. One thing I must appreciate is that you didn't write about the 'mileage' factor.
This ride is for those who enjoy a real sports sedan and not for those looking at the odo and the Fuel indicator every 5 minutes....
Right people and right vehcile and great pair You and your Dad.. Man I am B'be Q' ing in envy...
best Wishes for more fun filled rides Mukul...
Old 9th November 2007, 23:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Nice Travelouge Mukul.. That one was the new Cedia.. One thing I must appreciate is that you didn't write about the 'mileage' factor.
This ride is for those who enjoy a real sports sedan and not for those looking at the odo and the Fuel indicator every 5 minutes....
Right people and right vehcile and great pair You and your Dad.. Man I am B'be Q' ing in envy...

was curious about the mileage factor...why dont u mention what mileage u got mukul...? would help many prospective buyers...
Old 9th November 2007, 23:24   #6
BANNED

Me too. May be RajaT implies that if you are looking fun, go for Cedia. If you want look at mileage, look somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
was curious about the mileage factor...why dont u mention what mileage u got mukul...? would help many prospective buyers...
Old 9th November 2007, 23:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mukul, the accident we had happened in 1995. We were returning from Calicut,and my mom was driving our Omni. There were a few segments that had no tar, just concrete. She went a little fast over one such stretch,and the van skidded. We went head on onto the base of a tree,and the van ended up taking a big hit. Luckily,none of us were seriously injured. A part of the wheel arch got bent,and began pressing the tire. It took us a while to get out of there,and we were lucky to get some assistance from a truck driver. They use a chain and got the van out for us. We had to hammer a part of the arch outwards,and my dad then drove the rest of the 200+kms.It was pretty bad,since the accelerator had been pushed forward,and there was only a little space to squeeze a leg in to keep it pressed.
The funny side to it was how I ended up after the crash. I had been kneeling down,and looking outside the window. Suddenly a screech & a swerve,and i find myself dangling ,with my legs over the front seat.
Old 10th November 2007, 08:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Mukul, the accident we had happened in 1995. We were returning from Calicut,and my mom was driving our Omni. There were a few segments that had no tar, just concrete. She went a little fast over one such stretch,and the van skidded. We went head on onto the base of a tree,and the van ended up taking a big hit. Luckily,none of us were seriously injured. A part of the wheel arch got bent,and began pressing the tire. It took us a while to get out of there,and we were lucky to get some assistance from a truck driver. They use a chain and got the van out for us. We had to hammer a part of the arch outwards,and my dad then drove the rest of the 200+kms.It was pretty bad,since the accelerator had been pushed forward,and there was only a little space to squeeze a leg in to keep it pressed.
The funny side to it was how I ended up after the crash. I had been kneeling down,and looking outside the window. Suddenly a screech & a swerve,and i find myself dangling ,with my legs over the front seat.
Well Nitin, you r a lucky pair for sure!!!! Anything could have happened! I too had a bad one, at salem, vehicle toppled 4 or 5 times... and was bed-ridden in the hospital for 6 months. Very humbling experience i must admit.
Drive safe and god bless us all!
Old 10th November 2007, 08:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Guys, I was actually re-living the sheer joy of the trip while i was writing this piece and mileage was the last thing on my mind!!!!!(I agree with you Raja!
"Right people and right vehcile and great pair You and your Dad.. Man I am B'be Q' ing in envy...
best Wishes for more fun filled rides Mukul"
And thank you for that man!!! Made my day!!!!

For the record, i got around 11-12 Km per litre, we were not driving mileage consiously actually, but i think its pretty decent on a route with lots of climbs and curves...Neverthless the quality of ride was awesome, especially taking turns at a not so slow speed and getting of the blocks.
You actually do not sway a bit and can feel the stability so distintively and the suspension as i had mentioned is something one has to truly experience ....all at this price tag.

Narayan and diablo, I hope that would help prospective buyers eh ?

Cheers
Old 10th November 2007, 10:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

11-12 with a/c on or a/c off? and what speeds did you touch?

I usually take the coimbatore, perundurai, mettur dam, krishnagiri, hosur and bangalore city
Old 10th November 2007, 10:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Great Mukul.. As Diabloo puts it neatly, If you are looking for pure fun, ride a Cedia... This car is driver's pride... and As Mukul said, mileage should be the last thing to look for in such a fun-filled country-ride...
Old 10th November 2007, 13:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
11-12 with a/c on or a/c off? and what speeds did you touch?

I usually take the coimbatore, perundurai, mettur dam, krishnagiri, hosur and bangalore city
A/C was on at all times except during the Wayanad phase. And right now how is that route which you take? I heard that its pretty bad now? Is it?
Old 22nd November 2007, 20:38   #13
BHPian

Buddy!!! When did u do this trip.. Is that before the roads got bad?
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby.sam View Post
Buddy!!! When did u do this trip.. Is that before the roads got bad?
i did it on 5th november

Most Viewed