Team-BHP - 1988 Westfalia Camper
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   1988 Westfalia Camper (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/100264-1988-westfalia-camper.html)

Hi, here is my recent buy of a 1988 Westfalia Camper,the bus was retained by the Indian customs in 2010 ending months as the bus was driven by a German for an Indian ,tour i do not know why was she retained,later auctioned and came to me, carried a D plate, is LHD-Petrol ,has all the basic amenities,like stove ,sink,fridge etc, sleeps and seats four adults, has a tow hitch and home electricity plug inn.new tyres and a nice looking set of alloys, very neat interiors especially the dash,some stupid had removed the Blaupunkt music system at the customs parking lot,but speakers are very much there,the pop top is healthy too.Original key and and SWF wiper blades all lights are hella and electricals(alternator etc are Bosch)has an ABS too,here are some pictures

Inderpal ji Congratulations sir for that absolute beauty!! I love stickers and your camper has loads of it, chrome alloys and that makes it even more loveable, can you post some bigger pictures interior and exteriors. Now same old question can you PM the price you have paid for, any chances of another angel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanu (Post 2327975)
Inderpal ji Congratulations sir for that absolute beauty!! I love stickers and your camper has loads of it, chrome alloys and that makes it even more loveable, can you post some bigger pictures interior and exteriors. Now same old question can you PM the price you have paid for, any chances of another angel?

hi,
i will be posting pics of exteriors and all sides very soon,as the bus is being washed and waxed up now, hope this will be done by evening, i really love the notch and click of the original German switches and locks:)

I was Shocked to see the MMS on my phone today afternoon :)

What a nice car sirjee. Congratulations on one more in your collection.

Would be a SIGHT to see all 3 of your Buses next to each other...clap:

At PK must say ,its not a car ,its a bus ,ha ha

Wow! That's a awesome campervan! Please post some pictures of the interior!
The engine in this Bus would be the "Wasserboxer" water cooled flat-4, Right?
It's nice to see a T3/T25/Vanagon in good condition. Most of these late-model VW Buses seem to be neglected and badly maintained.

Also, There will be another thread about a Westfalia camper on this forum soon :D

Amazing she looks, I don't have words to express, you deserve her by all means. Wish to see lot more pictures of interiors and exteriors in detail, please post them when possible.

washed her well yesterday and will be posting pictures, yes she has the stock wasserboxer flat four very much similar to the falt 4 aircooled,even the distributor and the firiring order the same,but is fuel injected,and power steering ,discs at the front with ABS under the drivers seat,ok i need another help/suggestion from friends, as i am planning an expedition with classic vw's -in my beetles and think the camper will be a graet back up vehicle for me and can be used to sleep four,planning to fabricate a chemical toilet that can be toed with the campers toe hitch, perfect 24X7 bath and toilet facility,isnt it interesting, as i can never think of swapping my stock beetle engines, but think/plan to swap the camper with the stock diesel waterboxer vw engine, as this will make my journey a bit easy to pocket,can some one suggest a good source for an engine, an idea subject to availability to buy a used vanagon with a healthy engine can be considered too, i saw remtec engines during my visit to UK for a vw shoe, but i think( as some one told me) that it is not possible to import engines to India, new ones! have some one imported any or some clue or trick how can the engine be imported,thanks to all in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by inderpalgill (Post 2328924)
but think/plan to swap the camper with the stock diesel waterboxer vw engine,

I don't think VW ever made a diesel waterboxer. Some Vanagon's did come with a diesel engine but they where not boxer engines.
I think some modern Subaru's have a diesel flat-4, But it would be difficult to find a Subaru engine in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomUsername (Post 2329355)
I don't think VW ever made a diesel waterboxer. Some Vanagon's did come with a diesel engine but they where not boxer engines.
I think some modern Subaru's have a diesel flat-4, But it would be difficult to find a Subaru engine in India.

thats informative, can you suggest any hints of legalities of importing the new engine?

Lovely addition Inderpal Phaaji. Congratulations on this fantastic buy. I have a friend in Gujarat who has a similar Van and it runs like a dream. It has the 1.7lt Turbo Diesel Engine from the Opel Astra. Fits snugly into the place where the original engine was housed and runs like a dream, a silent dream. If you are interested in this sort of swap, i can ask him for details.

Is the present petrol engine not good?

Enjoy the van.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inderpalgill (Post 2328924)
washed her well yesterday and will be posting pictures, yes she has the stock wasserboxer flat four very much similar to the falt 4 aircooled,even the distributor and the firiring order the same,but is fuel injected,and power steering ,discs at the front with ABS under the drivers seat,ok i need another help/suggestion from friends, as i am planning an expedition with classic vw's -in my beetles and think the camper will be a graet back up vehicle for me and can be used to sleep four,planning to fabricate a chemical toilet that can be toed with the campers toe hitch, perfect 24X7 bath and toilet facility,isnt it interesting, as i can never think of swapping my stock beetle engines, but think/plan to swap the camper with the stock diesel waterboxer vw engine, as this will make my journey a bit easy to pocket,can some one suggest a good source for an engine, an idea subject to availability to buy a used vanagon with a healthy engine can be considered too, i saw remtec engines during my visit to UK for a vw shoe, but i think( as some one told me) that it is not possible to import engines to India, new ones! have some one imported any or some clue or trick how can the engine be imported,thanks to all in advance

Is this a front wheel drive?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Bug (Post 2329415)
Is this a front wheel drive?

hi,
this is the rear engine ,with the water body driven by a belt that pumps the water towards the radiator in the front,that again comes back to engine for cooling,the drive is by the rear wheels same like the air cooled bus.i guess i shared with you last year a bus that was driven by a German tourist crossed Amritsar and had a stop at vw Ludhiana, had some brake issues, the dealer being my friend called me out of curiosity to introduce me to the like minded fellow, he had a similar bus with the round headlamps but was i high roof version and interestingly transformed and was running on a vw golf engine, he later drove all the way till leh -ladakh-kanyakumari-Calcutta-Darjeeling,back again on the same route, he mailed me some pics will try digging them soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 2329404)
Lovely addition Inderpal Phaaji. Congratulations on this fantastic buy. I have a friend in Gujarat who has a similar Van and it runs like a dream. It has the 1.7lt Turbo Diesel Engine from the Opel Astra. Fits snugly into the place where the original engine was housed and runs like a dream, a silent dream. If you are interested in this sort of swap, i can ask him for details.

Is the present petrol engine not good?

Enjoy the van.

wow,this sounds some thing interesting, the actual engine is ok ,but a gas guzzler,good for local picnics,but not so good for long vacations and trips,thats why thinking of a swap, preferably with the original or some good maching engine, i think cooling will not be a problem as both are water cooled,pls suggest and if possible please get pics from your friend

Quote:

Originally Posted by inderpalgill (Post 2329549)
wow,this sounds some thing interesting, the actual engine is ok ,but a gas guzzler,good for local picnics,but not so good for long vacations and trips,thats why thinking of a swap, preferably with the original or some good maching engine, i think cooling will not be a problem as both are water cooled,pls suggest and if possible please get pics from your friend

can some one here suggest me that the vanagons ever came with the original Diesel engines and if yes how can we recognize that its a vanagon engine and not a jetta or golf engine, and in this case is the transmission for both petrol and diesel the same
Thanks