Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2007, 23:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

love i, but it needs a lot of better interiors but its a machoo car...would love to have one in india though as a 2nd or 3rd suv not the first..
Old 18th March 2007, 09:56   #32
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Hummers never came in diesel or manual versionss
There was no petrol Humvee !
The military HMMWV and its civilian derivative the H1 were powered only by diesel engines.
It had a 6.5 litre V8 Detroit diesel developing 160 bhp@3400 rpm and 393 Newton-metre of torque at 1700 rpm.

It was coupled to a Turbo-Hydramatic 400 4-speed automatic. The TH400 could handle 612 Newton-metres of engine torque!

Torque
Let me dwell a little on the torque of the Humvee!
The Torque converter gave a torque multiplication of 1.96:1
The 1st gear in the TH400 automatic gave a torque multiplication of 2.48:1,
Transfer case low-ratio further gave a torque multiplication of 2.72:1,
The differentials gave a torque multiplication of 2.73:1 and finally
the geared hubs gave a torque multiplication of 1.92:1
So this beast of a tiger, had an overall torque multiplication of 69.3:1 !!

Body
It has a light rust-proof aluminium body with a Kevlar-composite bonnet. The body rides on rugged frame-rails and cross members of high grade alloy steel that is hot dipped galvanized and epoxy-coated for additional corrosion protection.
The aluminum body panels are glued together with a high-tech bonding adhesive and riveted in addition.

39 cm of ground clearance beats every other vehicle in its class.

With the military deep-water fording kit, you could drive it through 5-feet of water.
It had steel underbody protection plates in case you drove over rocks.

It can climb a 2 foot high stone wall. Imagine doing a "U"-turn over the tallest imaginable stone divider as if it didn't exist!

Wheels
Run flat Tires -- The 12-bolt, 2-part split wheels had beadlocks and a solid rubber runflat (see my diagram). You could drive 50 km at 50 km/h on two punctured tires.

Central Tire Inflation System (From the dashboard, the Humvee can deflate its own tires to 12 psi for driving on loose sand and re-inflate its own tires back to 45-50 psi on reaching solid road),

The Torque-biasing axle differentials are good enough to handle a max. of 1,737 Newton-metres of torque.
In fact, the axle differentials are hidden high inside and above the chassis, tucked away from any debris (even shrapnel from a stray mine-blast). Besides the differential housings are firmly bolted to the chassis without suspension.

Geared Hubs ensure that the differentials do not lie on the wheel centre-axis. They increase the vehicle's ground clearance and multiply torque.

All four Kelsey-Hayes power disk brakes with 300 mm rotors, are again inboard-mounted at the differentials (not at the wheels).
The Humvee has 4-point independent and interchangeable suspension -- the double "A" arm & coil-spring suspension spares can be used at any of the four wheel positions. The vehicle can thus substantially save on unsprung weight. Since the diff housing does not move, each side of the suspension can flex independently.

Pussycats
The Hummer H2 (shall we call it kid Hummer?) was just a body modified Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon with a 6 litre petrol V8.
-- a housecat pretending to be a tiger.

The Hummer H3 or baby Hummer(H2's kitten?) is as conventional as the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon pickup truck, it is based on. It is powered by a 3.7 litre 5-cylinder in-line petrol engine, with a 5-speed manual gearbox or 4-speed automatic.

The H2 and H3 are just ordinary SUVs that are shaped like a "Humvee" to please the untrained eye.

The H4 will be even smaller (maybe 3.5 litre engine with a monocoque body like a car) -- a mouse pretending to be the housecat which pretends to be a tiger.

Ram
Old 18th March 2007, 10:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

The H5 will be the size of an M800 with a gargantuan 600cc, 25bhp diesel engine producing a brain-shatterring 80Nm of torque. Watch out world.

Oh, and if rumours hold correct, it'll feature the NHC headlights and taillamps!
Old 18th March 2007, 11:08   #34
BHPian

that orange hummer lokks amazing more pics plz
Old 18th March 2007, 19:40   #35
BHPian

There was no petrol Humvee !

They did make the H1 with a petrol engine! In fact most early H1's were petrol!
Old 19th March 2007, 13:02   #36
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Pussycat Hummer wiped out by schoolbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Pussycats
The Hummer H2 (shall we call it kid Hummer?) was just a body modified Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon with a 6 litre petrol V8.
-- a housecat pretending to be a tiger.

The Hummer H3 or baby Hummer(H2's kitten?) is as conventional as the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon pickup truck, it is based on. It is powered by a 3.7 litre 5-cylinder in-line petrol engine, with a 5-speed manual gearbox or 4-speed automatic.

The H2 and H3 are just ordinary SUVs that are shaped like a "Humvee" to please the untrained eye.

The H4 will be even smaller (maybe 3.5 litre engine with a monocoque body like a car) -- a mouse pretending to be the housecat which pretends to be a tiger.

Ram
So much for macho-man image.

This happened on 26th Nov. 2006, at Madison Avenue near Terrace Avenue in Indianapolis, IN, USA.

The H2 Hummer rammed the parked schoolbus from behind, lifting the bus up. There were no kids on the bus at the time and the bus driver was not injured.

The driver of the Hummer suffered a neck injury. Firefighters had to extricate him out of his Hummer.
How good are our emergency rescue professionals (do they even exist)?

I wish him a speedy recovery and more careful driving next time.
Less muscle more brains!

Ram

Here are 5 pics.

Old 19th March 2007, 13:22   #37
BHPian

Absolutely NOTHING has happened to the bus. How is that possible? Damn... And I thought Hummers were indestrustible or so. This pic makes it look like its made out of cardboard!
Old 19th March 2007, 13:30   #38
BHPian

Guess they cant afford to put steel armor on these Humvee kids
Old 19th March 2007, 13:47   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
Absolutely NOTHING has happened to the bus. How is that possible? Damn... And I thought Hummers were indestrustible or so. This pic makes it look like its made out of cardboard!
those buses are quite tough too. but still less damage to the bus than what i thought it would have gotten.
Old 19th March 2007, 13:47   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The H5 will be the size of an M800 with a gargantuan 600cc, 25bhp diesel engine producing a brain-shatterring 80Nm of torque. Watch out world.
Quote:
With the military deep-water fording kit, you could drive it through 5-feet of water.
Addendum: The deep-water fording kit will no longer be required. The H5 will be able to able to cross the water in native state.
Old 19th March 2007, 14:29   #41
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
Only proves my point that H2/H3/H..next Hummers are only gas-guzzlin' posers for the urban show-offs. "All show and no go!".

Any everyday BEST bus could take out Bollywood's gleaming yellow and chrome H2.

There's no substitute for the genuine military AMGeneral M998 HMMWV a.k.a. Humvee and its civilized brother H1. The Humvee works shoulder-to-shoulder with Main Battle Tanks (MBTs).

Here's a convoy of Chinese-made diesel Dongfeng EQ2050s on a bitterly cold Mongolian morning. Unlike the H2 this is as tough as the American HMMWV.

And this is the SFQ-2040 "Zhanshen" (meaning WarGod) made by Shenyang Aircraft Industry Co (SAC), China.

Its price is only one third of the price of the U.S.-made HMMWV.
It's carrying an air defence missile system by Běifāng Gōngyč, China
against missiles, UAWs, low-flying aircraft and helicopters.
Old 19th March 2007, 20:46   #42
BHPian

Why don't you guys all take different SUV's and ram an american scool bus from behind... You'll see what happened to the H2 is probably less then most others!
I mean common, why is an H2 a showoff car? whats the diff between that and a Range? is there less showing off going on? or say an X5??? Why do ppl go on and on and on about the H2. They are really good value for money at under $65K!
Old 19th March 2007, 23:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2drv View Post
Why don't you guys all take different SUV's and ram an american scool bus from behind... You'll see what happened to the H2 is probably less then most others!
I mean common, why is an H2 a showoff car? whats the diff between that and a Range? is there less showing off going on? or say an X5??? Why do ppl go on and on and on about the H2. They are really good value for money at under $65K!

i do agree with you but still i feel they need to be well designed and not the way they are currently with some age old machinery inside..

I like the way they look and what they stand for but would love for them to have a diesel or even a diesel electric hybrid, that would make for some cool SUV to have..plus H3s are now being made RHD in SA so hopefully the H2s will get the same treatment as well..
Old 20th March 2007, 03:06   #44
BHPian

must be a real gagster which wants even secured cars to run from a chase in jungles....
Old 20th March 2007, 03:34   #45
BHPian

guys just to tell yourl my cousin has brought his hummer down from kuwait.....its an amazing piece it has 26 inc rims and wat a audio system...well i have many snaps will post them soon....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks