Team-BHP - Land Rover in the Family
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   Land Rover in the Family (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/10315-land-rover-family.html)

well i remember the year was 1988...i was bearly four years old and was watching some cartoons with my sis and my mom was busy in the kitchen.......it was about 7 in the evening and the door bell rang......i distinctively remeber the smile my dad had on his face as he entered through the door....
it was as if he had won a 10 millon dollar lotery
like he was announced king of the world..
like he had the best orgasm ever
he was just sooo happy and anyone could see it.....

we all just stood there waiting for him to break the silence....after a few seconds he announced that he just brought a new car...mom was angry " a new car "....she was angry cause my dad frankly had already enough cars..but this time he never argued with her..just kept on smiling...he said it was a second hand car and that he always wanted one....
after mom chilled down he took us down the building to see his new car that he was soo happy about .....
i ran down the steps as my parents waited for the elevator and as i came out of the building i saw this old crapy rusty lookin car in our parking spot and i went " Yuck"...this car was my dads new car..it was soo boxy so boring so not appealing and soo not presentable...
my dad proudly displayed his new possesion to us all and we were like whats he so happy about....he proudly kept on saying land rover defender.....it was a short wheel base defender 90 .....

that was my dads first ever land rover and from then he has added one every two to three years ..but one thing remained constant...the SMILE on his face whenever he purchased on more of these machines....
well so basically i have been growing up around these vehicles for more than 1 years and my perception about them had totally turned over when my dad fell of a ghat in corbett because he fell asleep at the wheel..the car went straight of the road where there was a bend and it landed on its top about 50 mts below...i was in the car behind and ran down with my cousin to see whether there were any survivors( i thought all would surely be dead)...but to my suprise all were okay just a few broken bones here and there.....we towed the vehicles out with another range rover...that was it for me
this is not only a car its a life saver...who said that land rovers are only vehicles..man they are like moving body guards...

i now adore these vehicles...i have the defender in 90 as well as 110 inches wheel base...some range rovers(they are my dads pets...he pampers them even more than me)...a one of a kind 6*6 and a discovery ....to me these are the best cars on earth ...they are not only super luxourious but they are solid and safe and can go anywhere u want them to.......i prefer them to the h1 also as the are comfortable unlike the h1......
now i think i have so much of respect for these cars that i can understand the smile on my dads face as it has been passed on to mine...for him it came only on acquiring a new land rover but the smile comes on my face whenever im behind the wheel or even if i just see one on the road......
let me briefly tell u about the engine....basically two types of engines..the 4 cyl. diesel and the 8 cyl petrol..
the petrol engine is extremely fast and very reliable....the diesel engine is heavily under powered for the heavy body it carries but none the less it is soo extremely torquely that it can pull three trucks all together and can even climb a mountain in third gear......
just two years ago my dad
took me to see the new concept land rover stormer..the car was awesome and very stunning to look at...it was in orange like the new disco...i asked my dad when are we geting this one and he smiled and replied " when ur son is 4 years old"

cheers...

mods please edit the first post...im posting the pictures again....

the blue silver defender

the other defender

some snow pics

misc pics

random pics

the stormer concept

Great story xtereme power!

I heard that if you blow a head gasket on the defender, you can make a makeshift gasket using savannah grass?? :D

cya
R

ps - the stormer could be yours in 4yrs and 9months....get cracking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan
Great story xtereme power!

I heard that if you blow a head gasket on the defender, you can make a makeshift gasket using savannah grass?? :D

cya
R

ps - the stormer could be yours in 4yrs and 9months....get cracking!

yes......thats definitely true on the old defenders...pre 1996 i think......
the newer ones are a bit more sophisticated....

hey xtreme

my obsession with Land Rovers started at a young age too (when I was taxied around darjeeling in a series 1 short wheelbase to be precise). My uncle too used to own one, and his enthussiasm rubbed off on me and I lapped up his issues of Land Rover Owner greedily.
They are some of the most charcterful vehicles I feel. Its a thrilling experience to even see one, but riding in oen is simply outta the world!!
I respect you man, and one day I hope Ill be able to come see your collection which sounds very very intersting.

Hey, do you know of any 'Forward Controls' in India?

Talk about style....thats an awesome collection of SUVs you have in your family. I especially like the pictures of them parked side by side, and the entire family off-roading together. Your father appears to be a Land Rover connoiseur!

GTO

P.S. That Gypsy looks mind blowing! What is the tyre / wheel size? Any mods?

Many others have tried, some have bettered, but, hardly any other SUV can come close to the style, class and cult status that the Range Rover and the Defender have attained. The Range Rover Classic remains my favourite SUV by a big margin and I am lucky enough to get to see one everyday. xtreme_power, you're one lucky chup! Wonderful cars.

I'm a die hard fan of Solihull's finest.Any machine with that green badge on the grille has a special something about them.Be they Range rovers outside an LA premiere or wadi bashing somewhere in Fujeirah.Wonderful cars to have.I see that you're using them as they're meant to be used,4X4 style.
I've seen a classic white petrol Range Rover in and around Calicut too.Don't know who owns it though.

The beast looks best when its mucky and dirty... looks like its enjoyed itself... lol:

I agree. There are few sights more evocative than a mud-splattered orignal Landy after a good session of off-roading.

Brings backs memories from childhood - We used to have a Series III 109 1978 Landy with an interesting history

Apparently under something called the "Colombo Plan" the Brits had gifted Landy ambulances to some hospitals in India. A hospital in Ahmedabad also had it - originally in White with a modified rear for serving purpose as an Ambulance. Unfortunately the Landy was too big for going into the nooks and corners of the old walled city so was parked and some other ambulance was used. So 20000 miles and in the year 1993 my dad picked up the Landy for a 5-figure number!

As a kid nothing could have been more fascinating for me and the family did some long trips loaded with people and luggage. Once dad even carried a cow in the back for 300 kms to his dairy farm!! lol:

With time it became a bit too cumbersome to drive for dad at his age so he disposed it. Was too young to protest and saw it going to a fool who later on was cheated by a mechanic who took the engine as scrap and gave him a Matador engine in return. :Frustrati Man has a fundamental right to his foolishness they say - and he sure proved it.

Got awesome memories of it but no pics. Couldnt resist sharing this with you all. Also learnt driving on that car and decided its only going to be SUVs for life!

Cheers,
AVR

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVR (Post 1361242)
Was too young to protest and saw it going to a fool who later on was cheated by a mechanic who took the engine as scrap and gave him a Matador engine in return. :Frustrati Man has a fundamental right to his foolishness they say - and he sure proved it.

Blasphemy! Should hunt this fellow down.

xtreme power sat in your defender when it was here in Goa. Had taken them off roading. Got some excellent videos of them( Defender, the green land rover and a white land cruiser) climbing sand dunes. With your permission can I upload them?