Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2012, 08:32   #331
Team-BHP Support

Re: Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16

What's the normal duration of the TG episode in India? Here in Singapore, its normally 55 minutes (aired on BBC Knowledge). I am interested to see what all will be edited out when it get telecasted here. The downloaded version was almost 90 minutes in duration.

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st January 2012 at 08:33. Reason: typo
Old 1st January 2012, 08:50   #332
BANNED

Might be a dumb question, but if I was the producer I would leave them there for show promotion, so, did they actually leave the cars on those stands on that mountain like they said they would?
Old 1st January 2012, 09:02   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Might be a dumb question, but if I was the producer I would leave them there for show promotion, so, did they actually leave the cars on those stands on that mountain like they said they would?
I don't think so. That probably was just for a dramatic end to the show.
Old 1st January 2012, 09:43   #334
BHPian

It was good but I was expecting something much more!!

Anyways!

Thanks TG for coming to India!
Old 1st January 2012, 11:36   #335
BHPian

The India Special episode was not "special" - there was nothing in it which involved spontaneity, adventure, wit and the love for cars. It seemed like the idea of 'taking British and Indian relations forward' was suddenly decided and not-well thought out. Because of that idea, they tried to do stuff to match that "theme" and failed.

What would have been better was a true "challenge" to get from Point A to Point B; spanning a part of the country, just like the Vietnam / Africa / Bolivia / Jerusalem Specials.

If I were to come up with a Top Gear India Special, I'd rather have something like this (a bit cliched I admit)>
  • Jezza, Captain Slow and Hammond each get to pick a car with a "fixed amount of money given to them"
  • Jezza picks the Contessa for the "powerrrrrrr"
  • Captain slow picks up the Ambassdor / Premier Padmini (aka Fiat)
  • Hammond picks up the old classic Maruti 800
  • The backup car (read vehicle) is an auto-rickshaw
  • Complain about how useless these cars are, compared to other cars
  • Start off at Delhi (or choose your own City)
  • Head to one of the coastal cities / Himalayas
  • Have the usual goof-ups and the arguing and mess-with-the-other-guy's-car activities
  • End with a note that goes something like... that despite the cars' conditions, they had a brilliant time in a land that's timeless and has "everything... yet nothing" at the same time.... (Jezza is good with these ending notes)

The India special episode seemed to be too "staged and scripted" and it didn't have that love-for-cars feeling at the end ... that you expect after seeing a special episode.
vsathyap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 11:52   #336
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Not too impressed with the show.

I would have loved to see Stig take on cars like Nano, Ambassador and others around the Buddh track. That would have been much better to watch.
SRK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 16:26   #337
BHPian

The Telegraph : JC offensive to Indians in TG Xmas special

Jeremy Clarkson 'offensive to Indians in Top Gear Christmas special'

Jeremy Clarkson 'offensive to Indians in Top Gear Christmas special' - Telegraph

Jeremy Clarkson has been accused of offensive behaviour once again after mocking Indian culture in a Top Gear Christmas special.

Viewers have complained to the BBC after the outspoken presenter made a series of controversial remarks about the country's clothing, trains, food and history.

At one point, Clarkson appeared to make light of the lack of sanitation for poor residents by driving around slums in a Jaguar fitted with a toilet.

A spokesman for the BBC said they had received 23 complaints about the programme, which was broadcast on Wednesday evening.

She added: “If viewers or religious groups want to complain, they can complain to the BBC. We won't be responding through the media.”

Many viewers took to social networks and internet message boards to voice their objections about the show, in which the Top Gear team set out to boost British trade links with the subcontinent.

Owen Hathway tweeted: “Whats wrong with the BBC that they think casual racist stereotyping is acceptable on top gear?”

In one scene, Jeremy Clarkson is seen taking off his trousers in front of two Indian dignitaries to show them how to use a trouser press.

In another, the Top Gear team place banners promoting British industry on trains. One read, 'British IT is good for your company', and another, 'Eat English muffins'. But the message became intentionally obscene when the carriages of the trains separate and the banner splits.

It is not the first time that Top Gear has become embroiled in a row over the behaviour and comments of its presenters. Earlier this year co-presenter Richard Hammond made an insulting parody of Mexicans. He suggested that a “lazy" and “feckless” vehicle reflected the national characteristics of its country of origin.

And it is not just on Top Gear that Clarkson has caused offence with his remarks. Ofcom, the broadcasting watchdog, launched an investigation after he said striking public sector workers “should be shot” while their families watched.

The comments - made during The One Show on November 30 - led to more than 21,000 complaints to the BBC and almost 800 to Ofcom itself.

Speaking about the strikers, he said: “I’d have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.”
Old 1st January 2012, 19:45   #338
BHPian

I just thought it was funny and nothing more than that. Posting the snapshot here. Mods: Please remove it if this is offensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16-uk-promotion-1-before.jpg  

Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16-uk-promotion-1-after.jpg  

Old 1st January 2012, 20:18   #339
Team-BHP Support

It just didn't cut it for me. Yes some parts were funny but it wasn't proper Top Gear. I mean There was so much less about the cars. They were demonstrating lawnmovers, and singing songs in trains instead of showing more about the road trip. While it was definitely good, compared to our normal TG expectations it was a bummer.

Also I would have preferred if they had also shown some of the better areas and roads of Mumbai instead of showing the poorer areas for 90% of the time.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 22:47   #340
Senior - BHPian

Racism debate apart, my 2 cents is that this TG episode was thrash.
To the extent that I am not going to save the episode on my Hard Disk.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 22:54   #341
BHPian

Dippy was following Jezza all way!! found his Honda in many scenes! :P
Old 1st January 2012, 23:09   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumblings from a Brit...

There are good reasons that my mother country is sensitive about racism: it has been a very racist place, has struggled with this, and continues to struggle with this. It is a sensitive issue, especially for organisations like the BBC.

Please don't misunderstand: I absolutely support the struggle against discrimination against race, colour, gender, whatever, but ... also, my mother country has become, over the past few decades, extremely prudish, intolerant and suspicious; sometimes to an extent that shocks me.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:24   #343
Senior - BHPian

we laughed when they made fun about other cultures, other countries. That time TG was entertaining, brilliant, fun to watch

Suddenly the turn racist, shallow when they made fun about us ?

Though according to TG standards this was a sub-standard episode. They were 'try hard'.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:39   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
The India Special episode was not "special" - there was nothing in it which involved sponta........................
  • Jezza, Captain Slow and Hammond each get to pick a car with a "fixed amount of money given to them"
  • Jezza picks the Contessa for the "powerrrrrrr"
  • Captain slow picks up the Ambassdor / Premier Padmini (aka Fiat)
  • Hammond picks up the old classic Maruti 800
  • The backup car (read vehicle) is an auto-rickshaw
  • Complain about how useless these cars are, compared to other cars
  • Start off at Delhi (or choose your own City)
  • Head to one of the coastal cities / Himalayas
  • Have the usual goof-ups and the arguing and mess-with-the-other-guy's-car activities
  • End with a note that goes something like... that despite the cars' conditions, they had a brilliant time in a land that's timeless and has "everything... yet nothing" at the same time.... (Jezza is good with these ending notes)

The India special episode seemed to be too "staged and scripted" and it didn't have that love-for-cars feeling at the end ... that you expect after seeing a special episode.
Spot on, i would have loved to see it this way, been dreaming about such a episode when the trio visits other countries and would fantasise how it would be in India. This just disappoints.Bringing three british cars here,instead of using an Indian car, no specific challenges related to using their cars, and no Indian version of the Stig. Damn, have been fantasising all this for years and now??? Vietnam episode though without cars was many times better.
Though have a feeling that like U.S.A and Japan they have many more future plans waiting for our city,but sadly we don't have that 'car culture' to support my 'theory'.
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:39   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

On TBHP, probably having the maximum ratio of watchers of TG(probably 100%), and we were expecting to get away without some sort of supposedly , lets call it tongue-in-cheek(to avoid the other unwarranted word), humor from JC and company?

no!!!!
really?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks