Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 09:41   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: PICS : Top Gear shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16

If I see them ever, here or outside, ill take one learning from this thread.
Stand next to hammond, never clarkson!!

Say what you will, that Jag looks nasty(good nasty!).
Old 19th October 2011, 10:22   #212
Team-BHP Support

The cars in true top gear tradition look well and truely rogered!
Old 19th October 2011, 10:34   #213
BHPian

are these people nuts to ruin those gorgeous cars?!?!?
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 10:50   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
are these people nuts to ruin those gorgeous cars?!?!?
!!

nuts??
THIS....IS.....TOP GEAR-AAAAAA!!!!

add these to the list of the BMWs, the RR, fiats, mazdas...oh its endless.
Its what they do.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 10:57   #215
BHPian

well these cars are classic. they came in in a good condition. this purely is sacrilege. i'm sure the buggers are gonna blame it to indian traffic.
Old 19th October 2011, 15:56   #216
BHPian

@Samyak

Relax mate! It's what topgear does and it's why they are so damn famous.They have a hilarious twist to everything they do.

If you have'nt watched the show,they pimp up all their cars in all their challenges and it's their way of adding fun to the show! Why do you think everything as a insult to India? Infact they have done this probably for offroading.They are a bunch of laughs and let's not take everything so seriously.
Old 19th October 2011, 16:10   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
@Samyak

Relax mate! It's what topgear does and it's why they are so damn famous.They have a hilarious twist to everything they do.

If you have'nt watched the show,they pimp up all their cars in all their challenges and it's their way of adding fun to the show! Why do you think everything as a insult to India? Infact they have done this probably for offroading.They are a bunch of laughs and let's not take everything so seriously.
sacrilege!!!

i fail to understand where is the humor in spoiling a beautiful car. i mean i wouldn't care if they end up bashing up a fiat uno OR a panda or any other plain jane cars. but doing that to a mini/rolls royce/jaguar is like totally heartbreaking.
Old 19th October 2011, 16:33   #218
BHPian

@samyak

For all you know,they could actually put up the cars on a plank in their studio and cherish them or even take it back with them and refurbish them.

They too love cars,Richard Hammond for example bought the Oliver from the African Challenge and has taken care of it and maintained it very well.This car was shown in the lorry driving challenge with a personalised plate "OLIV3R".The Toyota Hilux they tried to destroy and failed is on a plank on their show.

Without TG most of us would not about a car like the Opel Cadet,would we? I mean these old rust buckets are now showcased all over the world and we get to know them better. It's a car show with a difference,if they drove bog standard japanese tinboxes on Expressway way's no one would watch the show.They need to add some razzmatazz to the show.The breakdown's,the idiotic modifications,the utter stupidness and the famous "cutting edge of cocking about" is why we love their show.

Chill people,anyway they don't give a damn to the criticism they get.If they bothered they would not be what they are.
Old 19th October 2011, 18:39   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
well these cars are classic. they came in in a good condition. this purely is sacrilege. i'm sure the buggers are gonna blame it to indian traffic.
Quote:
sacrilege!!!

i fail to understand where is the humor in spoiling a beautiful car. i mean i wouldn't care if they end up bashing up a fiat uno OR a panda or any other plain jane cars. but doing that to a mini/rolls royce/jaguar is like totally heartbreaking.
Woah calm down! Easy there boy!

TG is known for their antics. haven't you watched their previous special episodes? their trips to the North Pole, the drive across Africa, North-America, South America, Vietnam, Iraq? They get great cars, and invariably, they praise them for what it's worth! And they praise them a great deal. Most cars they pressed into service for these drives received heavy accolades for their performance during their drives. in fact, they bring it back home and restore it, and even display it at the TG Studio.

Heck, Richard fell in love with his Oliver (the Opel Kadett) during their Botswana drive, and he cherishes it back in UK now.

What these guys do is they love their cars. They praise their cars, even if they express their hatred towards it when they begin to drive it initially.

And it's all humor. It's fun. It is an entertainment-show for the car enthusiasts. We don't take Russel Peters seriously, do we?

P.S. A Fiat Uno or a Panda are cars too. Just like the Rolls, the Jag and the Mini. To some people, these basic cars mean a lot more than the expensive ones. So bashing any car is utter blasphemy. However, this is TG. Take it in the right spirit.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th October 2011 at 18:53.
Old 19th October 2011, 19:45   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
P.S. A Fiat Uno or a Panda are cars too. Just like the Rolls, the Jag and the Mini. To some people, these basic cars mean a lot more than the expensive ones. So bashing any car is utter blasphemy. However, this is TG. Take it in the right spirit.
I was watching Bolivia special yesterday. Clarkson's car (Range Rover) was almost completely ruined till the very end of the trip, like always.

This, of course, doesn't mean that they don't care about the cars they drive. At least this quote by JC speaks for it:

" I have a teddy bear. I have had it since the day I was born. One of his arms has fallen off. One of his eyes is missing. His head's come-off more times than I can mention. To you it would be a worthless junk but to me it means everything. And it's the same story with this car"

Clarkson really loves cars.

It's true that every TG special is more of a demolition derby in many ways than a 'normal' car show. But their love for cars is unparalleled, period!
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 20:20   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I've linked the thread in the post above, dont want to take someone else's pictures from another forum and post them here.
You can always ask for the permission. and put a link or source courtesy at the bottom. I don't think anybody will object to it. As 100% of time I have been allowed. Had done the same from raj sir.
Old 19th October 2011, 23:00   #222
Senior - BHPian

Ouch, that's what happens if someone tries to knock manners into TopGear.

Bro Samyak, I understand your sentiment buddy, but they have to do it, if every special film is them driving from a busy street to a hollowed-out volcano safely in a point-A to B fashion, who's gonna bother watching them?

We all know that every bit of TG is scripted, last day I was watching one of the episodes in S9 in which Kristin Scott Thomas was the SIARPC, in the power-lap, I evidently noticed that the cars they show in different parts of that single lap are different (noticed from the mud on the car from different camera angles), do I care? Heck no!

We love them for what they are. They are what they are for their unconventional style. They have the nerve to be different. They do it because, they simply can. Who else would test a car to destruction? Who else would blast-up all of Britain for a film?

Sometime, they realize every boys' dream by racing supercars in the Stelvio pass and racing a Veyron with a Eurofighter, other times, they drive a Rolls Royce into a swimming pool, or play conkers with caravans, or drive a 4x4 across the English channel?

Who else, dare I say, has the guts to do all this and still can get away with it? Only TopGear
Old 21st October 2011, 15:33   #223
BHPian

no matter what you people say - my heart aches looking at these beauties.

it's like scarring someone with a consolation of being able to have plastic surgeons to bring them back.

when i said panda or uno - i meant cars which aren't that beautiful as the above destroyed cars. my heart used to ache even looking at any scratch on my uno - but then given a choice to ruin punto or i20 - i would give up the i20 with a very heavy heart.

i agree that whatever they are doing is for making their show stand out - but then can't help it if it hurts me looking at what they have done to those beauties.
Old 21st October 2011, 21:01   #224
BHPian

Quote:
no matter what you people say - my heart aches looking at these beauties.

it's like scarring someone with a consolation of being able to have plastic surgeons to bring them back.

when i said panda or uno - i meant cars which aren't that beautiful as the above destroyed cars. my heart used to ache even looking at any scratch on my uno - but then given a choice to ruin punto or i20 - i would give up the i20 with a very heavy heart.

i agree that whatever they are doing is for making their show stand out - but then can't help it if it hurts me looking at what they have done to those beauties.
It's not like they have completely destroyed the cars by throwing them off a cliff or something! I know these cars are classics now but they are not really very rare/exotic/hard to replace, Jeremy's Jag looks like a 1980's model? Heres a similar car for sale for just about £4000 http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...p/carno/134081, Which is about 320000 INR. So less then the price of most new small hatchbacks. These cars aren't really extremely valuable in the UK.
This episode is going to be epic. I can't think of a better way to enjoy three British classic cars then a epic cross country road trip.

Last edited by RandomUsername : 21st October 2011 at 21:04.
Old 21st October 2011, 22:01   #225
Senior - BHPian

I think its the same Jaguar XJS that they bought for dirt cheap price in Episode 17 for a challenge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks