Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2011, 10:15   #286
BHPian

Re: Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16

Very good episode. Humorous indeed. We as Indians should learn to have a laugh at ourselves at times and not take life too seriously. I literally rolled over whenever they made a 'fool' of themselves with their banal antics. The train part was indeed . going to watch it again. Nothing racist or derogatory to our Indian culture here.
Old 31st December 2011, 10:44   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Am not suprised at the reaction, despite not having watched the episode myself (when's it airing next?) Taking offence is our national pastime!

It's good in a way- maybe more people will watch TG in India now that it's made headlines
Old 31st December 2011, 11:07   #288
Senior - BHPian

Good episode over all.
People seem to forget that its a car show after all. None of the events shown were orchestrated. It is India after all, the dabba wallas, the traffic ,the terrifying highways or the scenic roads.

People taking it too seriously and accusing people of racism etc, Then top gear is obviously not the show for you people
Old 31st December 2011, 11:33   #289
BHPian

BBC's Jeremy Clarkson has been accused of racism

Guys

Was just going through this article today. What are your opinions on this.

Is BBC's Jeremy Clarkson racist? - Rediff.com News

Moderators : Please move this thread if this is not the right place.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 31st December 2011 at 11:35.
Old 31st December 2011, 11:39   #290
Senior - BHPian

Some of it was indeed in bad taste. Like the dog peeing next to the tiffins. That made me shudder involuntarily. Also, were those real meals they were wasting ? If so, I found that in pretty bad taste too.
Otherwise it was pretty okay. But seriously, travelling in sleeper class ? Instead of driving? Totally unforgivable offence, that. Fail TG, fail. You are supposed to be the ambassadors of the Motor Car.
The party bit wasnt needed too. Himalayas are achingly beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Am not suprised at the reaction, despite not having watched the episode myself (when's it airing next?) Taking offence is our national pastime!
I dont think it will air in India now...online is the way to go!

Last edited by sajo : 31st December 2011 at 11:41.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 12:01   #291
Senior - BHPian

Watched it. Was okay and had quite a few laughs. But it could have been better. Felt this was rushed up when compared to the other specials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Some of it was indeed in bad taste. Like the dog peeing next to the tiffins. That made me shudder involuntarily.
+ 1 to that. That was sore indeed.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:01   #292
BHPian

Re: BBC's Jeremy Clarkson has been accused of racism

Even before watching the Christmas Special episode, I was 200% sure this was going to happen. Even though I enjoy watching top gear, I never wanted them to visit India because of obvious reasons.

I remember another episode in which the guys went on a road trip to Romania. Same thing there too.
Shame on him.

Last edited by DeKay : 31st December 2011 at 12:05.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:32   #293
Senior - BHPian

So if Russell Peters Does it, its alright and if Jeremy Clarkson does it, it's wrong?

I remember how he ridiculed the people who made Lada and found it to be funny. We Indian's need to learn to take jokes at times.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st December 2011 at 17:17. Reason: Nothing political here please.
devarshi84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 12:39   #294
Team-BHP Support

Didn't see the video- but based on what is written in the article- doesn't he have a point somewhere? When it comes to cleanliness, our cities really lag behind western counterparts. And as for the toilet stunt- isn't it common for our city roads to be used as urinals? And rural people still use roads for morning toilet activities. had to witness many of such situations while driving through the outskirts of madurai, on an early morning last week.

If he has ridiculed our culture, religions or nationality in any way, it's sad and totally unnecessary in a car show. If it's just cleanliness, we really need to take better efforts into making our cities clean.

As mentioned earlier, I haven't watched the video- above comments are only my views on cleanliness as they have mentioned in the article.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st December 2011 at 12:40.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:46   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some of it was indeed in bad taste. Like the dog peeing next to the tiffins. That made me shudder involuntarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
+ 1 to that. That was sore indeed.
It is India, and not just Jaipur, that is home to natural springs!
Old 31st December 2011, 12:51   #296
Senior - BHPian

I expect him to take another dig at us citing we couldnt understand simple jokes too!
Old 31st December 2011, 12:53   #297
BHPian

This show is supposed to be educating us about cars and I think that this show is digressing from its main route.
I saw this "Special Episode" and there was hardly 10 minutes about cars(Of the total 90 minutes!).
I did not think that "Eat English ****" and "**** for your company" banners on a train was funny and neither did Jeremy Clarkson running around trouser-less in front of dignitaries in Delhi,crack me up.
IMO,JC went overboard.
He not only made so many PJ's that my ears went deaf but he also destroyed an XJS!
Just my 0.02 Rupee worth.

Last edited by Eddy : 31st December 2011 at 16:16. Reason: We do not encourage piracy on team-bhp
Old 31st December 2011, 13:01   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It is India, and not just Jaipur, that is home to natural springs!
Side of the tracks is one thing, but right on people's lunches... not done!
Old 31st December 2011, 13:02   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Didn't see the video- but based on what is written in the article- doesn't he have a point somewhere? When it comes to cleanliness, our cities really lag behind western counterparts. And as for the toilet stunt- isn't it common for our city roads to be used as urinals? And rural people still use roads for morning toilet activities. had to witness many of such situations while driving through the outskirts of madurai, on an early morning last week.
He does. He always has a point somewhere.

That's the thing about Clarkson. He may generally 'cock-about' and be opinionated, but he has valid points.

He is the sort who calls a spade, a spade! And most people are offended by this, because they aren't able to come to terms with it. People live in denial, and when the truth comes out, they're ashamed of it and retaliate. Others deal with it by laughing it of. And I'm a part of the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If he has ridiculed our culture, religions or nationality in any way, it's sad and totally unnecessary in a car show. If it's just cleanliness, we really need to take better efforts into making our cities clean.
That's the thing. Top Gear isn't exactly a car-show per se. It's more like 40% cars and 60% entertainment.

Someone had mentioned earlier, if we can laugh at Russel Peters racially abusing half the World, why do we take this little thing to heart?
Quote:
Side of the tracks is one thing, but right on people's lunches... not done!
The whole thing was just too staged and hilarious for me to take anything seriously, Sajo.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st January 2012 at 19:07. Reason: merging post
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 13:06   #300
Senior - BHPian

I dont think he ridiculed culture or religion anywhere. The toilet was meant for Richard Hammond , who they say has a weak stomach.
The episode was nothing, compared to what they had done to many other countries world wide. Yes, there were bad bits, but those were purely related to the script and its execution.

EDIT : There are too many topgear threads around. Can we merge all into one, mods ?
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed