Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 13:14   #406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Guys if this was the case, We guys must Demand an APOLOGY from each and every Politician in the country...

...Times Of India have given a fair verdict to this Fiasco
If I could only press the 'Thanks' button multiple times for this one.

+1 Pavan.

If you read my posts above, you'd see that I've been echoing your sentiments as well. It just doesn't make sense, when people start criticizing what they see on the television. Does it really bother them that much? Do we all have to cry like babies and run to mommy every time and ask for a little huggie? Why can't we all grow some pairs and man up. Face it, try and take positives out from it, move on and attempt to correct ourselves instead of crying foul every time.

I honestly felt that Clarkson and gang were very reserved through the show. They did not cross any lines, and in fact, were too mellow for my liking. They do go overboard several times, and they have made references to India in the past. But they'd not crossed any limit while they were here in the country. I very strongly believe that.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 14:41   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Guys if this was the case, We guys must Demand an APOLOGY from each and every Politician in the country for literally screwing up our Country in front of the whole world.

Times Of India have given a fair verdict to this Fiasco
I couldn't agree with you more.

What I find amazing is the hue and cry about a man standing in front of a few people without trousers. There's no obscenity shown!! At the same time we are more than happy to have women/girls dancing on our television screens wearing close to nothing!! And I am talking about Indian music channels not MTV!!

Top Gear didn't show a whole load of negatives things, that could have probably offended people a lot more.

Do our diplomats and politicians really have nothing better to do then seek for an apology from the PM of a country, just because of a silly TV Show? For gods sake, Indian ranks at 67 of 81 in the world hunger index, why don't we do something about that instead?
Samir Taheer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 15:16   #408
Senior - BHPian

We all know that Jeremy is candid about his views and often takes pokes at others. Some of his jibes include:-
  • Asking whether Hyundai ever made a good-looking car.
  • Commenting on obese Americans in California ----'something is wrong all over this country'
  • Taking a dig at traffic and roads in Vietnam
etc, etc.

We love TG for the way the episodes are presented, and have come to accept Clarkson's digs as a part of the show.

It is only those who've never seen any TG serials who might have taken offence to Jeremy's remarks. And we can always count on our 'enlightened' politicians to rake a furore over this.

I've watched nearly 70% of the episode (till somebody removed it from Facebook), and did not find anything offensive, moreso because I am used to Clarkson. But the show was nowhere as good as the other ones I watched.

Let us not have illusions of being a super-power when there is poverty all around, when it takes 7 months to get a passport renewed, months to get an Aadhar card (God knows what happened to mine), etc. etc. But hey, we are going OT.

People watch TG for fun, and fun is what they get.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 17:11   #409
BHPian

And one more point I would like to add here. Quite off topic but still...

If the Indian government/ranters/media doesn't understand sense of humor at all. I am wondering then why is Mr. Russell Peters and his shows are not banned here in our country. There's no one who insults the nation more in the name of a joke. He'd be the biggest racist all over world if we simply take the humor part out!

Why does the media not complain about him? Why is Indian government sitting quiet about it? Why they haven't issued a warrant against him till now? Just because he's an 'official' stand-up comedian and Clarkson is not!

It seems like Russell Peters was right in saying that Indians and the Mexicans are similar in some ways. If not all of us, the offended are acting like the Mexican officials did on TG's joke on Mexican cars!

PS: I am a big-time Peters fan nonetheless!
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 17:30   #410
BHPian

As an Indian, I wasn't embarrassed or offended by the show. I was embarrassed and offended by the article in the paper this morning.

I've watched the episode more than once and not once did I find offence in what was shown or represented. In fact, I was a little taken aback by the amount of praise they had for the country.

My only grouses with the episode were:

1. For some reason I didn't quite enjoy it as much as the Botswana or Vietnam specials. There was no epic-ness to it - the entire episode seemed a little low-key.

2. The guests at the Delhi party were a bunch of emotionless automatons who clearly knew nothing about TG and seemed to have little or no interest in cars (the rides they showed up in notwithstanding). If it was me at that party I'd probably be having the time of my life.
Old 13th January 2012, 21:16   #411
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Apologise for offensive show, India tells BBC

The above article refers to a "breach" of agreement. Does anybody know what agreement they had signed? Maybe they had agreed not to show the country in poor light?
I guess now due to all the controversy the show will be heavily edited when its telecast in India next month!

P.S- I'm not exactly a hardcore TG fan like some of you here, i only started watching the show when they started airing it here on BBC Entertainment. I do like watching the show but i feel its a bit over-rated.

Last edited by PPS : 13th January 2012 at 21:20.
Old 13th January 2012, 23:01   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
As an Indian, I wasn't embarrassed or offended by the show. I was embarrassed and offended by the article in the paper this morning.

I've watched the episode more than once and not once did I find offence in what was shown or represented. In fact, I was a little taken aback by the amount of praise they had for the country.

My only grouses with the episode were:

1. For some reason I didn't quite enjoy it as much as the Botswana or Vietnam specials. There was no epic-ness to it - the entire episode seemed a little low-key.

2. The guests at the Delhi party were a bunch of emotionless automatons who clearly knew nothing about TG and seemed to have little or no interest in cars (the rides they showed up in notwithstanding). If it was me at that party I'd probably be having the time of my life.
One of the people who turned up at the party is a T-BHPian.
Suffice to say, he has more than a passing interest in cars, provided he has a heavily tuned M3
Old 13th January 2012, 23:23   #413
Senior - BHPian

For God's sakes, just ban BBC from this country and get it over with. Haven't heard a nice word about India from BBC like . . . ever. Have been watching that fake little channel (afterall they showed a tower collapsing during 9/11 even before the first tower had fallen .. oops) for more than 2 decades now. They exposed themselves with lies and plain lies and more plain lies during each war fought by the Anglo-American combine. No comments on that ever. Entire wartime news broadcasts by BBC were filled with disinformation.

If they ever have an India-focused program, it's full of 'buts' and conditionalities like Indian econohotmoney + Ooo look at that poverty + one camera always pointing at some gutter somewhere.

So their point is .. London doesn't have a gutter . . or when Londeners take it out in the morning it goes right upwards to heaven and comes down as rose petals.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 00:07   #414
BHPian

Its just a show! ENTERTAINMENT SHOW!

Why to bother much? They say similar stuff for everyone!! They are not pointing you(us/India) only.

I know it sucks to hear bad stuff about our country but why not just enjoy the humor? and not take it otherwise...???

My 2 cents..
Old 14th January 2012, 00:18   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
For God's sakes, just ban BBC from this country and get it over with. ...
Allow me to add another item to your list of complaints about my national broadcasting channel: They can't speak English properly!

Old 14th January 2012, 10:21   #416
Team-BHP Support

Holy Cow! Somebody told me this thread was still raging with controversy. I don't really visit this section of the forum, and I don't really watch TG. In fact, I had only watched one full TG episode (the Artic drive) until this one. Otherwise, I have only see bits and pieces on youtube, and find Clarkson to be a very rude man. So I don't care to watch TG.

But I wanted to watch this episode because of the Indian theme. So, two weeks back I came to this thread, picked up the youtube link, downloaded it and watch the HD version on TV.

It was hilarious, pure entertainment. I kept laughing my head off from the time they decided to ignore their PM's advice until dumped their ride in the Himalayas. It is a just a comedy show that has a car theme.

Never at any point I felt the Indians were being ridiculed. In fact, I expected it thanks to the initial reaction I had seen in this thread. But I was pleasantly surprised not to find ridicule, but only typical British slap stick comedy. It looked like Clarkson was really restrained from making any racist comments.

I have lived abroad long enough to see what racism is all about. In fact, I returned 8 years back to get away from it all. In my opinion, there was no racism or such ridicule in this TG episode. This is just storm in the teacup.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 11:03   #417
Senior - BHPian

Another stupid move by the good for nothing govt.
Do something for the country so that no one gets a chance to pull off these jokes!
And I have followed Top Gear from season 1 - its an outstanding show with great British sense of humor and poking fun at all, including themselves and BBC.
As for this episode - they just showed the dangerous roads of India where no one cares about the law, and a awesome gag pulled off on a train.

Edit: I am amazed how some people are shouting 'patriotism' at the top of their voice in this forum. Nothing has been shown in this episode that has been deliberately manipulated to put India in a bad light. Top gear specials (India, 'Nam, Botswana) are more 'motor themed' rather than true motor shows.
Embarrassing - yes, of course. But we ourselves are to blame for that embarrassment. Coz it is us who bribe to get the file passed, us who spit on the road, us who turn a blind eye to the three legged dog at the street corner, us who blatantly disobey road signs, and us who elect our share of corrupt MLAs and MPs. So if someone turns a camera and captures all of that - he becomes the guilty party?

Last edited by blackasta : 14th January 2012 at 11:18.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 11:46   #418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Edit: I am amazed how some people are shouting 'patriotism' at the top of their voice in this forum.
Its much easier to should patriotism, than do anything.
When you shout Jai hind, it gives you a high. There is no risk of failure unless you cannot pronounce jai or hind, and the energy expended does not even burn a few calories.

However, if you actually went head to do something to fix "hind", it would require your

Time
Money
health
Energy

At the end of it, there is a good chance you will fail, because the 1000 people saying Jai hind for you won't help at all.

So after actually doing something, and failing, you will feel bad, dejected, poorer and less sure of yourself.

But being patriotic would make you happy and energetic.

So its an easy choice. And this is why India is a third world country.

JAI HIND!!!!!
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 13:00   #419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It was hilarious, pure entertainment. I kept laughing my head off from the time they decided to ignore their PM's advice until dumped their ride in the Himalayas. It is a just a comedy show that has a car theme.
Completely agree! I really enjoyed the show.

Just thinking, even the British PM might have felt offended that these guys made fun of him
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 13:07   #420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just thinking, even the British PM might have felt offended that these guys made fun of him
Exactly, they started the show by poking fun at the British PM. Can you imagine this happening in India? Head will roll even at a perceived insult to the PM if it happened.

Most Viewed