Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 18:30   #3121
BHPian

Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Don’t really care about celebrities and their cars but I’m curious to know why the Q7 was the choice of most of the Bollywood folk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Back then the Q7 was the hot favourite. Now the RR Vogue has taken the place. A lot of them (some down south too) have switched to the Vogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, Range Rovers have really taken over Bollywood. I think they are the perfect clientele for Range Rovers because they:

- Care for style & image above all else

- Care for classy designs

- Don't care about acquisition costs. Even moderately successful ones aren't price sensitive. "1 crore" is the new "50 lakhs".

- Will speak to brand heads directly when things go wrong. Will receive service on a silver platter.

- Have backup cars when things go wrong.

- 1 to 2 lakh rupee service bills are pocket change, managed by their PAs & accountants.

- These celebrities change cars frequently, so won't own a Range Rover long enough to complain about, when the major problems start.
The reasons you mentioned GTO apply for all brands and their luxury products in common. Sure, a Toyota LC would not provide that ‘class’ but a Lexus LX would? If this is a money—no-object case, they could get any car they’d like? Tell me if I’m missing something.

So I have a question, just a thought — could it be that it’s Land Rover itself that’s giving Range Rovers to Bollywood as gifts or something?

Addition: About the reliability point; read a post on TBHP itself where Salman Khan tweeted against Land Rover for its problematic cars. Does Land Rover want that sort of negative publicity?

Quoting GTO from another post:

Quote:
Nothing screams style & taste like a Range Rover. I love their designs as much as I hate their reliability.

Just like the mass market, Bollywood too has a herd mentality. Notice how they all buy the same cars from time to time (e.g. Pajero, then Landcruiser, Q7 etc.).
Do you think everyone in Bollywood has taste in cars? I believe most of these people aren’t car enthusiasts — they just want a fleet of luxury cars to boast their status.

Last edited by EightSix : 8th February 2021 at 18:44. Reason: Quoted GTO from his other post
Old 8th February 2021, 18:37   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
So I have a question, just a thought — could it be that it’s Land Rover itself that’s giving Range Rovers to Bollywood as gifts or something?
They can't and won't give it to every tom dick and harry of the glamor world unless they have some sort of marketing agreement with them (e.g. Audi and Virat Kohli, BMW and Sachin Tendulkar, etc.). Free cars are given only in such rare cases and they choose the best Brand Ambassador they can purchase

This I believe is purely a case of some discounted deals and after sales support agreement/arrangement and also may be a buy back scheme at work that the LR sales team has found a sweet spot with.

I am pretty sure that even for Q7 earlier, that was the case. These glamor boys/girls will not spare a second thought on switching the brand if their team manages to strike a discount deal with a rival brand anytime.

All in all, it seems like LR sales team is working hard - just as Merc was doing a couple of years back for their GLE, GLS, etc line.
sunilch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 21:17   #3123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
brands.

I also read somewhere that Sunny Deol took his Range Rover to the Himalayas as well. So they are putting some of these machines to good use as well.
Saw it in Spiti Valley during the Kodiaq trip. I might have a photo somewhere
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 14:58   #3124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Deepika Padukone's Hyundai Creta
Attachment 2118433
Malaika Arora's Innova Crysta
Attachment 2118438
Although Both of them have luxury rides like the Maybach and Range Rover, I do admire their confidence in arriving in such low key cars. The Creta and Crysta are by no means a poor man's car, but compared to their status and wealth only very few can pull it off. The Crysta even has that scratch guard for the bumper corners ! Imagine the Crysta V/S Range Rover in that garage. One must be peanuts to run while the other is a money pit.

Would like to see more of such celebrity beater cars on this thread!
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 00:51   #3125
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Ranveer Singh's Aston Martin Rapide

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-ranveersinghspotted.jpg

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-ranveersinghspottedatmizu.jpg

Aamir Khan's Toyota Fortuner

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-aamirkhanand.jpg

Arjun Rampal's BMW 7 series

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-arjunrampalspottedatbandragallery9.jpg

Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Mercedes S Class

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-celebsatsanjayleelabhansalibirthdaygallery17.jpg

Nimrat Kaur's Audi Q5

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-nimratkaurspotted.jpeg

Mrunal Thakur's Toyota Fortuner

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-mrunalthakursnapped.jpg

Karan Johar's Mercedes GLS

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-karanjoharwith.jpg

Tara Sutaria's Audi Q3

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-tara.jpg

Juhi Chawla's Porsche Cayenne.

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-juhichawlaspotted.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2021 at 06:40. Reason: Tara's car appears to be a Q3, not Q5
PPS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 13:42   #3126
BHPian

Seen a couple of pictures of Sara Khan and her brother in a White Mercedes G wagon, she's probably just acquired this beast instead of the usual Range Rovers that B town has been using.
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 21:34   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
Seen a couple of pictures of Sara Khan and her brother in a White Mercedes G wagon, she's probably just acquired this beast instead of the usual Range Rovers that B town has been using.
Yes, Seems like Sara upgraded from her CRV to a G350d.
Attached Thumbnails
Bollywood Stars and their Cars-anand123teambhp-1.jpeg  

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-anand123teambhp-2.jpeg  

Last edited by Anand123 : 8th March 2021 at 21:36.
Anand123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 23:22   #3128
BHPian

One of the best threads to follow. I remember as a child we didn't have the access that kids today have to the internet for quite some time in our childhood. Maybe something all 90's kids faced. Me and my brother would wait for Autocar or some Automobile magazine that would feature the cars the film stars used.

My favorite used to be SRK's 7 Series and Sanjay Dutt's Ferrari

A Good add to this would be if the South Film Stars cars could be featured, I mean Mamooty , Dalquer Salman, Mohanlal and Chiranjeevi are known car enthusiasts.

Is there any similar thread for the Same ?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th March 2021 at 05:04. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
AKSen2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 00:06   #3129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSen2015 View Post
A Good add to this would be if the South Film Stars cars could be featured, I mean Mamooty , Dalquer Salman, Mohanlal and Chiranjeevi are known car enthusiasts.

Is there any similar thread for the Same ?
How can DQ not have his own thread? He is a bhpian after all

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...r-salmaan.html (The 369 Garage : Mollywood's Petrolhead Father-Son Duo (Mammootty & Dulquer Salmaan))

Similar thread for stars from down South.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...heir-cars.html (South Indian Movie stars and their cars)
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 00:07   #3130
Senior - BHPian

^^^There indeed is a thread for cars of SouthIndian stars. And a dedicated one for Mammootty & Dulquer's cars.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 11:29   #3131
BHPian

Karan riding on Mercedes GLS despite he can afford much more premium. Malika on Crysta could be a ride sharing. Met Urvashi Routela yesterday in Manali, she was boarding a Fortuner but I believe it was a rented one to bring her to shooting place.

Sarah Ali riding a G350d. It is not for comfort. It is primary meant for off-roading.

Slightly off topic guys.

I know some of them are enthusiasts like John Abraham, Mohanlal, Mamooty, Dulqeer Salman but I believe most of them are not petrol heads and don't invest their time in research.

Do they keep advisors? Do they ask fellow actors and actresses?

What criteria they place before buying a car? Budget? Status symbol?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by dicor : 9th March 2021 at 11:32. Reason: adding Sarah's car
dicor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:38   #3132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Aamir Khan's Toyota Fortuner

Attachment 2129080
Don't know if this is part of his brand endorsement from the Innova launch years, but he sure has a penchant for Toyotas. Seen him with two land cruisers (older in silver & latest in white) here on this thread & now a Fortuner ! Maybe just like his movie choices, he is also wise on buying cars that hold onto their value !
TrackDay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 12:47   #3133
Senior - BHPian

Considering how disastrous the year has been for Bollywood and it is doubtful that box-office revenues will reach 2019 levels this year (or even the next), I wonder if some of the Bollywood folks have let go of some of their toys. The preceding couple of years was the best in the film industry's history in terms of moolah so even the smallest stars upgraded themselves to stuff like Range Rover Vogues.

Just for some figures, gross box-office reciepts pan India was around Rs 10,000 crores. This includes movies from Bollywood, BO collections of Hollywood movies, and BO collections from Kannada, Telegu, Tamil and all other "Woods".

Bollywood accounted for half of it, roughly around Rs 5,000 crore.

(The figures are sourced from Ormax Media's Box Office Report India 2019; its a very interesting report)

This year collections have virtually vanished, with Bollywood expected to see a 85% decline. Figures floating around are that, after a Rs 5,000 crore haul, collections are at three figures today.

OTT had stepped in to buy out some movies, but most of them were bought at breakeven cost or less.

Will we see some downgrades? Trading in that S-Class for a new E? Q7 to Fortuner?
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 13:19   #3134

These people have money, they have investments in many other fields. Like, Rajeev Masand said in an interview that people joke about Akshay kumar owning half of Toronto because of the number of properties he owns there. Kartik Aryan recently charged 20crores for a 10 day shoot. One bad year doesn't mean they will downgrade their cars.

In fact, couple of Bollywood stars were recently seen test driving some cars. Saif Ali Khan a G63 Amg, Kareen Kapoor a Defender and Shahid Kapoor in an X7.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd March 2021 at 04:56. Reason: Corrected typo -> test driving
Maynk760 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 00:26   #3135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Will we see some downgrades? Trading in that S-Class for a new E? Q7 to Fortuner?
I don't think so. What your saying is true for the daily wage workers in the industry pan India. Yes, lack of shooting has affected some of them very badly. But then they are not the ones who can even afford a car, forget a S class. Meanwhile stars have been raking up some serious rides. Down south Vellfires are flying off the shelf with even some picking up weekend rides like Porsches and Mini Coopers. Going through this thread itself and the 'South Indian stars and their cars' thread can show the rides picked up post relaxation of the lockdown.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks