Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 16:45   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
The A8L too is gone. Only the Ghost remains.
BTW his R8 was sold to the guy above with the black Ghost
So probably Sanjay Dutt is all out to prove(to the judge) that he is a poor guy and the "only earning member" of his family
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 16:46   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what he says, it looks like it is a Spev V Ghost with 21inchers.
Are you sure its a V Spec?

AFAIK only two of such cars is destined to the whole continent. One for Singapore and one for India.

The Indian V Spec is still at the Chennai port and is designated to KUN Exclusive.

They're still in talks with potential buyers.
Old 25th July 2014, 17:09   #2238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hi Gannu,

Few days back I had the same question and I asked Scorcher about it. He told me that they do a background check for clients and approach the potential clients on their own.

And if someone has the moolah and wishes to buy one then they don't refuse to sell to them. They don't get into the background checking stuff then. They can't be very choosy in our country

-Bhargav
Wasnt Mallika Sherawat refused one by Rolls Royce?

QUOTE:
"Mallika Sherawat wanted to buy Rolls Royce but was refused. The car is not sold just to those who wish to buy it. There is a process where it is decided if the person wishing to buy it is fit enough to be its owner or not and money is not just the criteria. The person's entire profile, social standing for the past few years is put under scanner and then decided. Even test drives are given to selected people. Mallika apparently tried to convince the brand by saying she is a Hollywood actor et al but things didn't work out in her favour" revealed our source.

Source: TOI web page.

Seems that Shrey Singhal has two Bentley's going by his FB page.
Old 25th July 2014, 17:24   #2239
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post

AFAIK only two of such cars is destined to the whole continent. One for Singapore and one for India.

The Indian V Spec is still at the Chennai port and is designated to KUN Exclusive.

That guy doesnt know too well about the car. When asked he said its one of the most loaded cars with almost all options ticked with moccassin interior and 21 inch wheel. Going by all this, I guess it might be the Spec V. Cannot vouch for it though.

@Fullrevs- AFAIK he has only the pearl white CGTV8 with Quicksilver exhausts. Dont know about the other one you're talking about.
Old 25th July 2014, 18:51   #2240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
You won't believe but this was the same question I asked Scorcher in reply to what he answered, but he didn't reply for some reason, or I'd have not clicked on the 'send' button and closed the browser window directly.

What I assume the reason behind this is: This incidence occurred in 2011. Might be, post 2011 they made amendments to their policy and are not that picky now(?)

Cuz, I know one politician in Mumbai who definitely doesn't have a glorious background but he has got himself a RR Ghost. So, it seems they have eased it now, and tomorrow if I win a lottery then even I can buy one :P

@Scorcher can throw more light on this.

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 25th July 2014 at 18:52.
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 19:32   #2241
BHPian

As far as I know. They are very serious about background checks for potential Phantom series buyers. I think they are not very strict with the same policy for Ghost buyers.
Old 25th July 2014, 20:59   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Seems that Shrey Singhal has two Bentley's going by his FB page.
Quote:

@Fullrevs- AFAIK he has only the pearl white CGTV8 with Quicksilver exhausts. Dont know about the other one you're talking about.
Found these pics in his FB page.
Attached Thumbnails
Bollywood Stars and their Cars-10268427_636173909792379_8113471828256551563_n.jpg  

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-10246571_620327644710339_8247615484234165841_n.jpg  

Bollywood Stars and their Cars-1507622_600844929991944_630539700_n.jpg  

Old 25th July 2014, 21:22   #2243
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The red GTC with HR plates is in Goa currently AFAIK.
Old 26th July 2014, 01:53   #2244
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe background checks were done by Rolls Royce at a time when the only people who could afford a Rolls Royce were someone with a royal connection - Kings, Queens, Maharajah's etc. I guess this criteria went on till the late 80s. Post that I don't think RR or even BMW, which now owns RR, takes this criteria seriously. Today, if you have the money, you could buy any car in the market as long as there is stock.
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 09:48   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Now it makes sense. Dutt's 4545 W12 was parked in a tiny bylane in Bandra the other day and mann it sure was in a precarious position ! Whoever parked it definitely did not care about the car !

Imagine a lane which can just about handle one autorickshaw in each direction & now imagine an elephant like the W12 A8 just parked ignorantly in the same lane with half the car protruding out onto the road itself ! Any rick could have so easily brushed against it. I identified it as his car thanks to the number plate and was quite shocked its kept like that considering he loves his cars. Now that i know hes sold it to someone and that someone parked it like THAT ...god save the poor car.
Old 26th July 2014, 10:09   #2246
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are right mate. A friend did a shoot of this car yesterday. Its not a Spec V. But a heavily loaded car nevertheless.
Old 26th July 2014, 11:58   #2247
BHPian

Bollywood Stars and their Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I believe background checks were done by Rolls Royce at a time when the only people who could afford a Rolls Royce were someone with a royal connection - Kings, Queens, Maharajah's etc. I guess this criteria went on till the late 80s. Post that I don't think RR or even BMW, which now owns RR, takes this criteria seriously. Today, if you have the money, you could buy any car in the market as long as there is stock.

But wasn't amitabh Bachhan denied one?
He was gifted with one from one of the producers of some movie

Maybe maverick can shed some light on it
Old 26th July 2014, 14:26   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Thats odd. I would think Amitabh Bachan had a better record than the director. Maybe the mid financial slump was the reason?!

Ive always known Rolls Royce to be picky about who drives their cars. If they have changed the policy post 2011, I wonder if Miss Sherawat was allotted one after all that.
Old 26th July 2014, 14:52   #2249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
You won't believe but this was the same question I asked Scorcher in reply to what he answered, but he didn't reply for some reason, or I'd have not clicked on the 'send' button and closed the browser window directly.

@Scorcher can throw more light on this.

-Bhargav
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
But wasn't amitabh Bachhan denied one?
Stories, stories and nothing more. These are all just cooked up stories for the gossip columns is what I think.

As I told, yes, Rolls does a basic listing of all the “who’s who” in a dealer territory and contact them directly for a vehicle. They will be taken to testdrives on Rolls’ expense and some, even factory visits. It’s just their way of approaching their creme clientele. But in this day and age denying a multi-crore rupee business in a small market like ours, no matter who it is, just doesn’t make sense. They will sell a car to any Tom, Dick or Harry if he’s good to pay for it.

I know people with very shady backgrounds right here in India who own a Rolls, some who walked into a dealership with a sack of notes and bought the display car. Lot of stories.

I think the best way to answer this if from Lionel Ritchie’s mouth, take a moment and see this interview from 01:18

Last edited by Scorcher : 26th July 2014 at 14:56.
Scorcher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 16:28   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Stories, stories and nothing more. These are all just cooked up stories for the gossip columns is what I think.

As I told, yes, Rolls does a basic listing of all the “who’s who” in a dealer territory and contact them directly for a vehicle. They will be taken to testdrives on Rolls’ expense and some, even factory visits. It’s just their way of approaching their creme clientele. But in this day and age denying a multi-crore rupee business in a small market like ours, no matter who it is, just doesn’t make sense. They will sell a car to any Tom, Dick or Harry if he’s good to pay for it.

I know people with very shady backgrounds right here in India who own a Rolls, some who walked into a dealership with a sack of notes and bought the display car. Lot of stories.

I think the best way to answer this if from Lionel Ritchie’s mouth, take a moment and see this interview from 01:18

Continuing what Scorcher just clarified, RR are definitely following their policy of checking the customers back ground before hes allowed to buy one. Of course, that's what happens in the developed markets.

Having said that, we are not amongst the developed markets. No where close. With the kind of numbers RR is doing in India, especially after the increase in customs duty, RR will go to any length in order to get rid of every single unit. Even if Ms. Sherawat wants it, doesn't matter. The hike in duties is like a slow poison for CBU car dealers.
doctorque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed