Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 18:34   #46
BHPian

Re: DC Design to launch India’s first supercar *Update* Scoop pics on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
If we go by the newspaper clip.... since when is a 2 litre FORD engine making 240bhp in supercar category?

and is the name Buddh or Avanti?
I totally agree with you.A car with 240BHP can hardly be called a sports car(few exceptions are there) left alone holding the tag of a "Super Car".If you ask my opinion he should have contacted the TATA's or any other engine manufacturer to make a V8 or atleast a V6 engine with at least 400 horsepower.And then he could have easily pushed the price upto 35 lacs(if required).I hope it doesn't turn out to be a classic case of "all show no go".

Over the top looks and under powered car = automotive disaster
Old 4th January 2012, 19:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

I think The Tag of supercar apart this could be a good car in line with the Audi TT (which also comes with a 1.8T 180/2xx bhp engine). What needs to be watched is, how practical this sports car would be w.r.t. service & spares & how well it performs in terms of on road performance.

Will reserve further comments till full specs & pics are unveiled.
Old 5th January 2012, 02:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

I can't resist mentioning Delorean here. Supercar body not so sporty engine. We all know what happened.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Avanti unveiled!! I HATE the design! Why can't DC design simple fluid looking cars. The Mustang in US is also a 'budget' sportscar but it looks so damn good. Good luck DC with finding buyers. I'd personally take the Accord V6 or even the BMW 320D over this.
Attached Thumbnails
DC Design to launch India’s first supercar *Update* Scoop pics on Page 2!-1325766052a4426.jpg  

theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 18:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Amitabh Bacchchan unveiled the DC Avanti (sounds like a girl's name, Avant would've been better).

My thoughts:
  • Total cut'n'paste job (headlamps clearly ripped off from 458)
  • Bold design, hard to please the Indian eyes
  • Who's gonna sell, service these?
Attached Thumbnails
DC Design to launch India’s first supercar *Update* Scoop pics on Page 2!-378871_193409550754246_100002556064121_358778_31670930_n.jpg  

DC Design to launch India’s first supercar *Update* Scoop pics on Page 2!-405875_193405607421307_100002556064121_358776_1396793656_n.jpg  

Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 18:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

Rediff.com says "The supercar is likely to meet Lamborghini Murcielago and Lamborghini Aventador head on in India. "

Amitabh unveils India's first supercar, Avanti, at Rs 30 lakh! - Rediff.com Business
theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 19:07   #52
TOR
BHPian

The design looks completely forced and disruptive, good that there are no photos of the back put up. That would have been a proper torture to the eyes. And whats with the wheels-guess it came off the wall from the friendly neighborhood accessories shop!
Old 5th January 2012, 19:34   #53
BHPian

Some More Pictures

I dont like the overall design. The rear looks as if someone has just cut a piece off it. Even the design of the tail-lamps aren't great. The front has an overdose of the rubberized fake mesh grill, DC copying from XUV?! It doesnt look good specially near the headlamp cluster. And where is the front number plate going to be placed?!
Attached Thumbnails
DC Design to launch India’s first supercar *Update* Scoop pics on Page 2!-dcavanti.jpg  

Attached Images

Y@SH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 20:01   #54
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
And where is the front number plate going to be placed?!
I guess there wont be any need for that as from the way this is brought out there wont be anyone buying one in the first place!

Dare i say does this seem fit to go into the 'Weird & Wacky' thread?
Old 5th January 2012, 20:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

I've personally never liked DC designs. They're pretty much weird to begin with and end on the same note! Although this one may just look a little less crazy in Black. Can anyone PS it in black?
Old 5th January 2012, 20:05   #56
Senior - BHPian

My two paise;

Firstly DC stands for Design Concepts and not Dilip Chabria though we all know that it actually stands for Dilip Chabria too, who is often referred to as Dc.

Secondly we should be applauding an all indigenous effort of building a sports car. Why cant 240 bhp be a super car? The power to weight ratio will be a game changer here.

It is totally unfair to equate or compare the DC Avanti with any supercar like a Ferrrari or Lambo...the cost difference is huge.

What remains to be seen is if he has got the chassis and steering right. What is the Chassis design? Is it a monocoque, Ladder, H frame? This will determine handling. did he design the chassis or he is using borrowed parts from some other vehicle as usual. If yes, which vehicle? What is the feedback from the steering? What is the suspension like and how does it handle? What does it sound like? Most importantly how will it be serviced? The Engine and Gearbox have been borrowed from Ford. I remember another car which nearly hit the Indian roads many many years ago but could not find its way here, even after the company collected advances for the delivery. The car was Quantum and it looked and drove like wow. It had a Ford 2.0 litre engine if im not mistaken. The car stood at my place for almost a week where i drove it for a few days. Lucky i didnt put a down payment as the project didnt take off.

What im saying is stop criticising just for the sake of it. We dont know what it drives like till now. Let a test drive be taken, a report be put up and then we shall discuss. Till then simply state what your expectations will be and what your fears are.

My fear is that it will be put together tackily, as his modded cars usually are, which rattle and rant after a few kms on the roads. If hes got that right, i think hes got a niche target audience to cater to.

Im expecting a lot from this car. This could be India's first super car success. Thisk of it that way. Congrats DC and team. Hope you meet expectations.

Last edited by V-16 : 5th January 2012 at 20:11.
V-16 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 20:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
My two paise;

Firstly DC stands for Design Concepts and not Dilip Chabria though we all know that it actually stands for Dilip Chabria too, who is often refereed to as Dc.

Secondly we should be applauding an all indigenous effort of building a sports car. Why cant 240 bhp be a super car? The power to weight ratio will be a game changer here.

Im expecting a lot from this car. This could be India's first super car success. Thisk of it that way. Congrats DC and team. Hope you meet expectations.

Great job by DC imho! An Indian super car for 30lac! The 170 bhp premium cars costs more in India! Looks good head on! Hope that he would be able to deliver it for that money etc.

240bhp and 1600kilos!

And IIRC, I read somewhere that it will get a V6 diesel from Honda ?

Last edited by jkdas : 5th January 2012 at 20:11.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 20:16   #58
BHPian

Now that's what you call a "complete minger"! One car you really wouldn't want to get stuck behind: just look at its rear ! Only saving grace would be if it is good dynamically, so lets wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
And whats with the wheels-guess it came off the wall from the friendly neighborhood accessories shop!
The wheels are off a Porsche 911 Turbo. Check this post for a picture.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post2630154

Last edited by Turbojc : 5th January 2012 at 20:22.
Old 5th January 2012, 21:07   #59
BHPian

Well though its *Indias first supercar* and all, doesnt have the same insane engines *real* supercars have, neither the quality nor the track performance it also does not cost as much but the fact of the matter is that..
..it looks ugly! It looks like a supercar had a bad crash, got mended with parts belonging to other cars and some designed inhouse because original parts were not available...
Old 5th January 2012, 21:08   #60
TOR
BHPian

DC should have created a separate brand for the 'Super car' mainly because now the car would be known as 'Design Concepts Avanti' which tends to give an impression that the car is a 'concept' and the focus is on 'Design' with no real impetus on the hardware/underpinnings.

Now about what DC has done for India and its auto design scenario-there is no reason to doubt the significance of the same.

Why should we not compare to the lambos and ferraris -we should actually surpass those international heavy weights and arrive properly on the international auto stage. If a Koenissegg can sprout out of nowhere whats wrong in keeping expectations high.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed