Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2015, 21:57   #226
BHPian

Re: The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!

Finally India's first Supercar rolls out.

Kudos to Mr DC for making it a reality.

Considering the last few seasons of Top Gear focused on cars from emerging countries, I wish it was still on air. Jeremy, Richard or May would have had a go in the Avanti and given a great feedback on it.

Coming back to the car, its outrageous in every sense, couldn't find a soothing line or any kind of inspiration.

What is that car powered by? I mean i heard a lot about that engine being Ford, some said Renault and some Jaguar, does anyone really know from whom its sourced?
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 23:15   #227
BHPian

Re: The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!

I remember the Smart drive (Malayalam car program) review of this car a few weeks back. The reviewer mentioned that it does not have air bags and ABS, and I was like

Really? Who in their right mind would buy a car without ABS and airbags for Rs.36 lakhs - that too on a sports car, where chances of a high speed collision will likely be high!
Old 29th September 2015, 23:29   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
I remember the Smart drive (Malayalam car program) review of this car a few weeks back. The reviewer mentioned that it does not have air bags and ABS, and I was like

Really? Who in their right mind would buy a car without ABS and airbags for Rs.36 lakhs - that too on a sports car, where chances of a high speed collision will likely be high!
This is debatable since quite a few exotic boutique supercar makers don't have any driver aids like the Nobel M600, TVR's,Pagani etc.
A car without driver aids is a pure machine without electronics but DC seems to have skipped these because he can't be bothered. Still I don't mind that it doesn't have the safety equipment but I really hope that it drives well.
Old 30th September 2015, 00:12   #229
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
This is debatable since quite a few exotic boutique supercar makers don't have any driver aids like the Nobel M600, TVR's,Pagani etc.

A car without driver aids is a pure machine without electronics but DC seems to have skipped these because he can't be bothered. Still I don't mind that it doesn't have the safety equipment but I really hope that it drives well.

Err... All of the above mentioned cars come with ESP, ABS and Airbags. TVRs and the M600 come without any on board computers though for an organic driving experience.
This is no excuse for the Avanti not having any airbags or ABS. What? DC wanted us to give us a "thrill" of kissing death with that 250hp and no ABS or Airbags on Indian roads? RIP logic.
A.K is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 00:51   #230
Senior - BHPian

I think I saw a white Avanti this afternoon near Koramangala (near NGV), and it looked stunning!

At first I thought it's a Ferrari / Lamborghini (these I often see at Koramangala), but then I realised it's neither(!) and was guessing if it was the Avanti.

Hope people give atleast a 1% extra preference since it's an Indian brand, while choosing to buy a supercar!

Hope he designs a model with safety features too ASAP.
Old 30th September 2015, 11:10   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
The front bumper when seen from the side looks odd for a fast car. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like it encourages the car to lift off the ground by creating up-force.
I guess the car needs to be capable of going fast first before the aerodynamics can create havoc. In all likelihood, pieces of this car will come apart if it goes fast.

Well then.... The lighter weight (after losing some parts in the air) will make it Fast.
Animesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 11:47   #232
BHPian

As people have pointed out here. Yes, Avanti does not have airbag as a standard fitment. Not even in options list. DC guys say they will be making it standard in near future models. Whereas ABS EBD is standard on its variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
No it does not.
Some one i know had a close look at the car,
and observed that the build quality is horrible.
Yes, the build quality is absolutely poor. Although the leather and plastics have a good touch feel but at assembly level its quality is just not acceptable. Even low cost Maruti's have better plastic fitments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Does it really not have an airbag?! That's unacceptable

A young enthusiasts with 40 big ones to cash out on a car would be a sensible to get a used German sportscar. A z4, Audi TT or even the previous generation m3 can be bought for around that price.
It would be a wise decision to go for German products instead. Rather it would be a debatable topic with everyone, but if you have enough spare cash, why not go for a "Made In India Product"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
The build quality is really really poor. One can spot the waviness in the roof's bodywork and few weld marks at corners are visible, specially because it's too low and you can see the roof standing right next to it.
It is almost impossible to get into the seats without banging your head or to save your head one has sit on the door sill first and then shift onto the seats.
The seats are badly stitched (the optional leather ones) and they seem to have come off from a 4lac rupee car. Almost everything is wrong with the car at the moment. It just appeals to the eyes due to the shape and low slung looks of a sports car.
As per my observations on the car, the material quality was good but as I said earlier, the assembly fitment is what which is unacceptable. Even when speaking of quality the tail lamps which are all LED setup are worst than the Chinese aftermarket ones! The Green colour Avanti in the above images, had scratches all over its inner surfaces of tail lamp. DC surely needs to concentrate on quality rather than design.
Even the alloys were like taken from lathe machine and fitted directly on vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
That awkward moment, when you want to do Indian themed interiors, but it ends up looking like South African flag instead.
I don't know why DC did not make this one for Indian flag themed interiors, when they were emphasizing on "Made In India Product". But they were showing off this vehicle for all the customizable options DC can provide to its customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudeep_Kimster View Post
What is that car powered by? I mean i heard a lot about that engine being Ford, some said Renault and some Jaguar, does anyone really know from whom its sourced?
DC is sourcing engine from Renault. Its a 250HP, 2ltr turbo petrol.

At the end I would like to say, if DC has plans in productionizing Avanti on a full scale, they need to concentrate on quality more than design elements. I would not comment on performance figures as I was not lucky enough to get a test drive. By only marketing it as a "First Indian Super Car" or "Make in India Product" will not prove successful for DC as people will also look into what is offered and at what quality when they are investing 42 to 50 Lakhs.

Last edited by sujay bhandare : 30th September 2015 at 11:53.
sujay bhandare is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 17:19   #233
BHPian

A sports car (if you say so) without safety equipment is real bad idea. I do not think that anybody who can spend this big amount is willing to compromise on safety aspect. Better to go sky diving if adventure/thrill is what all is required.
However, I appreciate DC and his designing team for the efforts they have put in and I am sure they will come up with more safe and better built car in future.
Old 30th September 2015, 20:56   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
Err... All of the above mentioned cars come with ESP, ABS and Airbags. TVRs and the M600 come without any on board computers though for an organic driving experience.
This is no excuse for the Avanti not having any airbags or ABS. What? DC wanted us to give us a "thrill" of kissing death with that 250hp and no ABS or Airbags on Indian roads? RIP logic.
The last TVR in production, the Sagaris had no ABS, forget airbags and ESP. Noble has ESP but no ABS or airbags. Zonda C12 didn't come with airbags. Would love to have a look at your sources for your immortal logic.
Doge is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 20:40   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

The DC showroom near Sony World signal in Koramangala has a white Avanti parked in its basement. I spotted it on the road the other day, it sure grabs a lot of eyeballs.
Old 12th October 2015, 17:15   #236
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Spotted in London!

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th October 2015 at 17:54. Reason: Tweaking Youtube link. Just copy-paste it in the post, no need to insert it any special way :)
PPS is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 18:10   #237
Senior - BHPian

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Spotted in London!

On MH plates that too! I am guessing it is there (or en-route to somewhere else in Europe) for a photoshoot or something. Because I don't see why anyone would buy this over the Lotuses so easily available there.
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 18:38   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
On MH plates that too! I am guessing it is there (or en-route to somewhere else in Europe) for a photoshoot or something. Because I don't see why anyone would buy this over the Lotuses so easily available there.
Second that. It will not get the clearances unless equipped with Airbags at the very least. Of course there are crash tests which also have to be passed.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 19:14   #239
Senior - BHPian

^^Are you sure about the clearance thing without the airbags or is it just an assumption at your end that this car can't be sold in UK without the airbags?

Numerous small time sportscar manufactures doesn't offer airbags and all, one example is Noble, I am not even sure about that all the Lotus models have the Airbags as a standard fitment.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th October 2015 at 18:39. Reason: As per reason in earlier edit. Please only post objective information in this thread.
Old 12th October 2015, 19:24   #240
BANNED

While we were driving from Poland to Budapest somewhere on the way I saw an ad which had DC Avanti picture on it.. Unfortunately we passed too quick for me to click a picture of it.
mohammedismail is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks