Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 10:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched

Wow that looks awesome! I'm sure you guys had a blast. This may be off topic but in one of the pics showing the cockpit of the C63, I see the temperature gauge slightly higher than normal; is the engine warmer than normal due to hard driving?
Old 18th January 2012, 11:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

What a delightful day it must have been?! Sounds purely fantastic. Maylander in the house!! He is a true hero. I would've loved to have the oppurtunity. How does one keep track of all these events? Where do they publish it? Im envious Rehaan.
Old 18th January 2012, 13:34   #18
BHPian

WOw!!! You are one lucky chap!!
However, thanks for providing the update, I was not aware that Mercedes has started such concept in India. This is an opportunity to experience something stupendous from Merc stable.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan, are you lucky or are you lucky! WOW. An experiance to cherish for a lifetime, this one must've been.

The pics are droolworthy for sure, but more than that, driving an AMG, that too on the Buddh, would have been great!

So, who had the fastest lap on Buddh that day? .

Mercedes - Good on ya for starting this initiative. Sure would make a lot of owners grab this opportunity.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

That seemed to have been quite an experience though I was a bit surprised by the high cost associated with such events.

Is the Buddh track not opened for rental use like the tracks in Madras and Coimbatore?
Old 18th January 2012, 17:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

WOW! I am totally burning up with jealousy right now.

But thanks for the wonderful feedback. I had been thinking if it was worth the experience. Seems like it is. Now just need someone to donate me 75K or convince wifey that it will be money well spent! That's going to easy, ain't it!
Old 18th January 2012, 18:18   #22
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Really Lucky!!
An Awesome experience.

Can anyone holding a valid License take part in the training? or you need to have minimum requirements?

By the way, the pics and the Video are great.
Reminds me of the GT5 on PS3(hope they get this track on the next update)
Old 18th January 2012, 21:36   #23
BHPian

I am sure it was a wonderful experience Rehaan!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I was supposed to put up a separate thread for this, lazy me

Being a part of the Auto giant, few from our office also had the chance to enjoy the AMG beasts at Yas Marina. Yes, that includes me .

The AMG Performance Tour in Yas Marina was meant for existing customers, potential customers, media and some lucky staff. Event was during night and we had a chance to drive C63, C63 Coupe, CLS 63 and the SLS.

We also had two hot laps with Mr. Maylander in the SLS AMG GT3!

Some pics:

The GT3 Resting before the night out.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-gt3.jpg

Myself with Mr. Maylander.
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-b_maylander.jpg

Ready for the ride in the GT3
I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched-racing-suit.jpg
jaguar.runs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 22:13   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian

Loved the video. How fast was the car going? It was difficult to believe that the circuit was in India.
Old 18th January 2012, 23:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing Rehaan and very good write up. Experience is very well narrated. The circuit looks amazing.
Old 19th January 2012, 14:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
I know a few already who have applied for the AMG Driving Academy.Lets see when their turns come.
Would be awesome if you could report back once it happens, and let us all know what they thought of the actual course. (All i got was just a short taste).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Now i know why the C-63 AMG alloys went to delhi.
Ha! Nice of them to have a spare set. I've been to other auto events where a tyre / wheel damage put an early end to the show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Also noticed that there was a SL in the garage.
The car was parked there throughout. It was not part of the event as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Wasnt GTO first
GTO had put up his Michelin experience at Sepang earlier : link

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Whats your lap record?
No timings! And don't forget that i had to follow the instructor... no overtaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I see the temperature gauge slightly higher than normal
I'm not sure what the needle is usually at on these cars during day to day driving. The picture was taken after a few laps on the track, though typically high speed lapping will keep the temperature down (due to the high airflow).

cya
R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
How does one keep track of all these events? Where do they publish it?
Well, this is the announcement of this "event" / academy - so you're clearly looking in the right place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
So, who had the fastest lap on Buddh that day?
Maylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
...Is the Buddh track not opened for rental use like the tracks in Madras and Coimbatore?
I'm still unclear on this.

On one hand, manufacturers are having private events and magazines are doing shoots -- but on the other hand, motorsports like the Polo R Cup didn't happen at the track as previously scheduled! Not sure if its politics or what... but i'm sure things will get better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Can anyone holding a valid License take part in the training? or you need to have minimum requirements?
No prior experience required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
we had a chance to drive C63, C63 Coupe, CLS 63 and the SLS....with Mr. Maylander in the SLS AMG GT3!
WOW - you got me beaten by a mile man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Loved the video. How fast was the car going?
Topping out at about 220-240 km/h on the long straight. (As far as i know they are electronically limited to 155 mph / 248 km/h)

cya
R

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th January 2012 at 16:58. Reason: back to back posts :)
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 14:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Topping out at about 220-240 km/h on the long straight. (As far as i know they are electronically limited to 155 mph / 248 km/h)

cya
R
Rehaan, if someone from my house calls you and yells at you blaming you for influencing me to throw a good chunk of my bonus this year at something so 'crazy', don't be surprised !

I remember being one of the few lucky ones who were chosen off a raffle draw about 10 years ago for a hot lap in a Rally car beside Ahamed Bin Sulayem in his winning Ford Focus. Ever since, performance driving in a closed circuit has always enthralled me. And now, yours being on one of the BEST tracks of the sport, I can almost feel what you did and what I'm missing. But, it sure won't be long for me!

Mind sharing with us what the trick was with respect to keeping racing line, along those tight corners, as per Bert ?

Darn ! I'd have loved a job of this sort, and wouldn't have mind even if they didn't pay me for it.
Old 19th January 2012, 15:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan! lucky you man! Driving along side Bernd unbelievable. He commands a great respect among the pro's here in germany too! Especially schumacher and vettel! Btw, I need to ask you one thing, at the end of the day, did you or someone ask him about his opinions on urs and others drivings? You didnt say anything about the debriefing. can you debrief once more for us? Like where he gave positive comments and where he cautioned you/others to be more careful and so on. Thanks man!
Old 19th January 2012, 15:54   #29
BHPian

Rehaan,

Having recently hooned a 2011 E63 in a location that prevents me from posting about the experience on this forum*, I can relate.... but to a much lesser extent, obviously.

The interesting thing about the E63 (drove the burgundy one in Bombay... do they even have any other colors on offer?) was despite the brute power and the raw speed, the drive felt a little un-involving. We even switched the TC off (although it never completely goes away unless you know the tricks to completely disable it) but somehow you always felt that you weren't the only one driving the car.
I'm sure your on-track experience would've been completely different though.

I remember driving my friend's E46 M3 on Highway-1 in California and that experience felt so much more involving that it leads me to believe the M5 would be a much more rewarding drive than an E63.

* - I wrote a post about the entire experience but it was deleted by mods for violating forum rules. Apologies.
Old 19th January 2012, 16:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

WOW - you got me beaten by a mile man!!

I consider this as one of the best experience in my life.

We had 5 modules in the Event
  1. Lead/Follow on track with C63/C63 Coupe/CLS63
  2. Autocross/ Kick plate with C63/C63 Coupe (Skid/Wet Pad Handling)
  3. AMG Performance Parcours with C63 Coupe/CLS63 (Drag Race and Braking Skills)
  4. Lead/Follow on track with SLS
  5. Race Taxi in SLS AMG GT3 (Two laps with Mr. Maylander)
I am including a small video of the GT3 Fly By.

jaguar.runs is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks