Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 20:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!

I totally get why the Focus RS was turned down from the event. It's a hot hatch, and not a supercar.

But neither do I believe that a Fiat 500 Abarth or a Campagna T-Rex are exactly "supercars"?

@SCI - As a club, you have every right to moderate the class of cars allowed in the club, but allowing some in and restricting others for no apparent reason is plain partiality.

P.S - The Focus owner's actions are also, by no means, justified if he tried to barge in forcefully despite being turned down by SCI in the first place.
Scorcher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 20:46   #92
Team-BHP Support

If there is one thing I've realized, it's that there are always two sides to a coin.

While I was quick to jump to conclusions, I should have looked at it from a different perspective. I generally don't jump to conclusions and always wait for concrete information. But I'm an enthusiast, and my reaction was sort of instinctive. It's like a mother to a child.

Apologies where apologies are due. Perhaps I was much too harsh on GS. Sorry, Mr. Singhania. He is a man of exquisite taste. (Who else would have thought of importing an Ariel Atom?!) I did mention that too, in my rant. I've been a follower of his collection for years now, and I know that he is a proper enthusiast. But I was a little taken aback and a little angry by that incident. Like I said. Two sides, same coin.

But I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that a 'true' enthusiast is not partial (as Scorch has said above) and is not biased. I get it, it's based on invites only. But I'm sure some arrangements could have been made to accommodate the owner of the Focus and his car.

After all, he too is an enthusiast. And all automobile-enthusiasts belong to one family, in my humble and honest opinion. Race, class, colour, creed, etc. doesn't even come into the picture. We always fight amongst ourselves, as countrymen and there is enmity among Indians too. We should be united by one thing. Automobiles. And I believe an enthusiast and aficionado should not snub another fellow enthusiast. How different are we then, from those who fight amongst each other, despite living in the same country?

If he has a car that's worthy of such a rally, then why not?

Anyway, I'm no one to judge. Neither am I Mr. G. Singhania, nor am I one of the organizers. Heck, I wasn't even present at the show! Team BHP gave me a ring-side view of the event and I'm pretty pleased about that. It gave me the opportunity to sit with my plate of food in front of the computer while I kept clicking page-down as I gorged into some wonderful food! I couldn't have done that if I were there. (yes, this is sour grapes )

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd January 2012 at 20:49.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:29   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
But neither do I believe that a Fiat 500 Abarth or a Campagna T-Rex are exactly "supercars"?.
Yes & how about the poser Z4? There were a bunch of them at the event. We need to look at TopGear laptimes to understand what cars like the EVO and RSs are capable of. To conclude, this should be a enthusiast's club and not just a rich boys' club.
Mpower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:37   #94
BANNED

Just a question, does one get into the club by
Invite or application. I don't get it, this , as Mpower above, has said, seems
To be an elite club.

And were all cars privately owned? The Aventador had a sponser on the door.
When will these owners ever take place in an Indian gumball 3000 type run.
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:51   #95
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Set 2.
Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04943.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04948.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04953.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04955.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04956.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04957.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04961.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04967.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04968.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04976.jpg

Silver GT-R & Black Quattroporte both with Kreissieg Exhaust were missing this year!
PPS is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:45   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
One very funny incident.

THe focus RS was parked inside the arena. GS came and saw it and threw a fit! Couldn't trace the owner so he says: "Call the security and throw this trash out"

And they literally try before they find the owner:

Attachment 875641
What I am very annoyed about is that this picture clearly shows the security people trying to move the car - and just look at where they are holding the car! That is unacceptable! And the organizers (i.e Mr Singhania) being the car enthusiast he is and in spite of his "love" for the Ford Focus RS allowed this to happen? I would be pissed off if someone did that to my Honda Civic! That shows the arrogance of the organizers and the blatant disregard they have for other people's property! I'm sure there was a better way to deal with this, than what they did.. (Call a tow truck and tow the car out!!)

Tejas@perioimpl who had initially posted this picture is a "distinguished BHP-ian". From what I understand, one of the criteria for him to have received this status is that he "made a significant and consistent contribution to team-bhp", which means he probably doesn't talk much smack on this forum. Am I wrong? So pardon me from leaning towards his comments and not siding with what supercarclub has to say!

@Samstrikes - I don't know what you did man, but you sure managed to piss off a lot of people (which I must admit is pretty sweet!). You've got an awesome car that is way more unique than all of these cars here! Forget the "high and mighty" super car club and start your own club - the super hatch club
majorpayne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
There is no need to cordon off the streets on the route. Remember how they isolate the cars of VVIPs with a lead car and trail-car so that there is a "rolling" restricted area? It should not be very difficult to do the same for a parade consisting of around 100 cars. It will not inconvenience other road users for more than 10 minutes while the parade passes a particular stretch.
+1.

In fact the parade also witnessed the intrusion by such a VVIP carvan on Worli Seaface stretch. It should really help cordon off the parade with comparatively very little incumberance to the rest of the traffic, even it should be possible to hold signals for that particular moment to let the parade pass thru completely instead of throwing in intermittent traffic in the parade.
Old 24th January 2012, 00:16   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
We need to look at TopGear laptimes to understand what cars like the EVO and RSs are capable of. To conclude, this should be a enthusiast's club and not just a rich boys' club.
(i'm off the topic of the RS now, im past that stage)

Who said anything about Top Gear Lap Times?
The 'Top Gear' lap times differ from 'The Ring' times. Some cars faster on the ring and some slower... like the ZR1 is better on The Ring... totally different track. Totally different outcome.

TOP GEAR TV SHOW IS NOT AN EDUCATIONAL SHOW. Its an Entertainment Show.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: what do lap times have to do with "EXCLUSIVITY"?

Many people know that a 560 and a GT-R and both very fast cars.

BUT is the GT-R exclusive?
(i'm talking about a bone stock 560 (the base model: aka baby Lambo)

This means i'm comparing it to a stock GT-R) (not a V-spec and not an egoist)

NOTHING! LAP TIMES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EXCLUSIVITY.
the Lamborghini is still more exclusive.

GS started a SuperCar Club... the title says it all.
NOT AN ENTHUSIASTS club... go start an ENTHUSIASTS CLUB if you want. Id be the first to join... i have nothing against you. I'm just here to make a point about exclusivity and a SUPER CAR CLUB.

BTW: not all of super car owners are rich boys...

And if you ever start an enthusiasts club, you will have modded altos(like my old car) and this, that and the other... you will need a huge venue cause then all of us on team bhp will turn up in any car we want... huge budget for food and drinks too! think about it...

Peace
insideman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 00:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideman View Post
(i'm off the topic of the RS now, im past that stage)

Who said anything about Top Gear Lap Times?
The 'Top Gear' lap times differ from 'The Ring' times. Some cars faster on the ring and some slower... like the ZR1 is better on The Ring... totally different track. Totally different outcome.

TOP GEAR TV SHOW IS NOT AN EDUCATIONAL SHOW. Its an Entertainment Show.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: what do lap times have to do with "EXCLUSIVITY"?

Many people know that a 560 and a GT-R and both very fast cars.

BUT is the GT-R exclusive?
(i'm talking about a bone stock 560 (the base model: aka baby Lambo)

This means i'm comparing it to a stock GT-R) (not a V-spec and not an egoist)

NOTHING! LAP TIMES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EXCLUSIVITY.
the Lamborghini is still more exclusive.

GS started a SuperCar Club... the title says it all.
NOT AN ENTHUSIASTS club... go start an ENTHUSIASTS CLUB if you want. Id be the first to join... i have nothing against you. I'm just here to make a point about exclusivity and a SUPER CAR CLUB.

BTW: not all of super car owners are rich boys...

And if you ever start an enthusiasts club, you will have modded altos(like my old car) and this, that and the other... you will need a huge venue cause then all of us on team bhp will turn up in any car we want... huge budget for food and drinks too! think about it...

Peace
Sorry but I beg to differ slightly.
  • How is Z4 a super car? How is is exclusive?
  • How is T-rex a supercar? its a pure enthusiast car!
  • Ariel Atom/Z4/ Focus RS cost within 15% of each other!
  • How is Phantom drophead couple a supercar? Thats the joke of the day!
  • Supercars are all about performance and performance is all about laptimes! I hope you can agree on that.
  • TopGear laptimes are just a rough indicator of performance. Dont get so hung up on it.
  • If you dont trust TopGear why should you trust any magazine/Nurburgring times for that matter. Who's verifying that?
Lastly, I have no problem with kicking out the Focus RS, but please also kick out the Z4s and the Rolls Royce convertible and yea I have nothing against you either.

Last edited by Mpower : 24th January 2012 at 01:14.
Mpower is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 01:07   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry but I beg to differ slightly.
  • How is Z4 a super car? How is is exclusive?
  • How is T-rex a supercar? its a pure enthusiast car!
  • Ariel Atom/Z4/ Focus RS cost within 15% of each other!
  • How is Phantom drophead couple a supercar? Thats the joke of the day!
  • Supercars are all about performance and performance is all about laptimes! I hope you can agree on that.
  • TopGear laptimes are just a rough indicator of performance. Dont get so hung up on it.
  • If you dont trust TopGear why should you trust any magazine for that matter. Who's verifying that?
Lastly, I have not problem with kicking out the Focus RS, but please also kick out the Z4s and the Rolls Royce convertible.
A Z4 is a Porsche Cayman and Boxster competitor. Its not a hot-hatch(again im clarifying that i like the RS) (but there is always a BUT)
The Z4 is a Roadster... its a BMW and its crafted really well (don't get me wrong buddy, I've got 4 fords, and not regular Fords and I'm a Ford fan)

AND ABOUT THIS - Ariel Atom/Z4/ Focus RS cost within 15% of each other!
IN INDIA 15% IS A LOT WITH CUSTOMS DUTY, REGISTRATION, IMPORT TAX ETC... AND 15% OF THESE PRICES IS ALOT EVEN ABROAD. its like if you were 15 years old would you really think of marrying a new born ... nope...

The T-Rex is an exotic in its own way, its not a car nor bike, if you see it on the road you will find yourself picking your jaw off the ground. And if you saw a T-Rex pass you by you would be like WHATTHAF.?!?!?1..
But if a Focus RS passed by you would be like WOW, thats a really nice fast car...

Super Cars ARE about performance. BUT a performing Honda City isn't a Super Car, I hope you can agree on that(in your own words)

Who said I was hung up on Top Gear. I didn't bring up the topic and i hardly had 2 lines to say about TOP GEAR. I don't even watch TV and for the record, I do my own tests to see what a car is all about. Just take a look at my Youtube Channel where I test the Aventador myself.

I don't look at magazines either... I rely on my own judgement. And my own judgement is what makes me make my decision.
insideman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 06:48   #101
BHPian

Get a room!! You guys are trying to justify and oppose an x/random person(s) actions, perspective and views on cars.

There is no set criteria for cars to fulfill in order to be allowed for the SCC drives, if the organizers like your cars model, you can drive. Frankly, I was shocked to learn that Z4's were welcome for the SCC drives.

Now break it up before we start with 'An X1 ALSO being a well crafted BMW' OR 'Focus RS is quicker than a C63 on the Bedford Autodrome West circuit' OR 'How the EVO X in its present tune whips Z4's (Personal experience)'
fre2bpowerless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 08:14   #102
Senior - BHPian

OK so Boxster is now a supercar!! Whatever it it, lets be clear about the criteria ...thats all I'm saying.

But I'll tell you whats jaw dropping(ingly ridiculous). Last year I think there was a SLK driven by chauffeur, top down and sethji riding next to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by insideman View Post
But if a Focus RS passed by you would be like WOW, thats a really nice fast car....
I would feel the same about the RS5. From far away, it looks like a diesel A4.

Last edited by Mpower : 24th January 2012 at 08:16.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 08:34   #103
BHPian

4 steps taken by G.S to move the Focus . I must admit the 4th seemed to be the smartest .

1) Asked the security to pull/break the door handle ( the security guy tried pulling the handle but it did not break , And even if it would break he would just have the handle in his hand and the door would still remain locked. )

2) He tried breaking the window with his bare hands ( like G.S could get punch through laminated glass and even if he could his hand would be a mess. )

3) He asked the security to lift up the car (like a bunch of guys could lift a 1.5 tonne car, The number of thefts would go up. Everyone would be lifting cars and taking them. )

4) Called the driver ( he came and he drove off. )
Mirage is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 09:12   #104
BHPian

Quote:
OK so Boxster is now a supercar!! Whatever it it, lets be clear about the criteria ...thats all I'm saying.

But I'll tell you whats jaw dropping(ingly ridiculous). Last year I think there was a SLK driven by chauffeur, top down and sethji riding next to him.

I would feel the same about the RS5. From far away, it looks like a diesel A4.
Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say that the Boxster was a Super Car. I said that the Z4 is a competitor to the Boxster and Cayman. Just for your own information the Boxster has been rated along with the Cayman as one of the best cars to drive. So if the Z4 is a competitor then its gotta be close. Plus i have seen in person on the Bombay-Pune highway run(which i attended in a Super Charged M3) that the Z4 was doing brilliantly against many other outperforming cars on paper.

Please don't go off-topic regarding a chauffeur driven SLK and who is sitting in the car, no one intelligent cares... The RS5 is a pretty masculine car with its flared fenders, fat tires.. etc.. and in the rear view mirror you can easily tell with the shape of the LEDs... BUT again the RS5 is off-topic to what we are talking about ...

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th January 2012 at 11:01. Reason: Debate the point, not "reputation". Post edited.
Old 24th January 2012, 09:22   #105
BHPian

Some of these cars are stunning! Wish I was in town to see these in person.

However, I find it amusing that some of these people who own such beautiful machines had a problem with a non-conventional "super car" amongst their midst. I mean, I'd totally let him (the RS) roll with everyone else just for the situational humor it would create! It's quite a pity when people lack a sense of humor or generosity.

Anywho, hope to catch some of these next year!
Macfreak7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks