Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 15:47   #121
BHPian

Re: Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
OK so Boxster is now a supercar!! Whatever it it, lets be clear about the criteria ...thats all I'm saying.

But I'll tell you whats jaw dropping(ingly ridiculous). Last year I think there was a SLK driven by chauffeur, top down and sethji riding next to him.

I would feel the same about the RS5. From far away, it looks like a diesel A4.
There was a chauffeur driven Red 458, no passenger
Old 24th January 2012, 15:55   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
There was a chauffeur driven Red 458, no passenger
AFAIK, the owner drove for a bit and then hopped into the back of his phantom and headed back home.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:58   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
AFAIK, the owner drove for a bit and then hopped into the back of his phantom and headed back home.
Thats good then, the driver was having a lot of fun with the car. Rippin it on the sea link!
Old 24th January 2012, 16:01   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
Thats good then, the driver was having a lot of fun with the car. Rippin it on the sea link!
I wonder if he's looking for another driver?! I would not mind taking up the job.

gemballa - Have you got any pictures of the rear of the White Bentley? Would love to check out the rear body kit.
Old 24th January 2012, 16:16   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Sad...Really really sad. Absolutely no correlation between passion and money earned/inherited.

If I had enough money to buy a 458, I would never get out of it. The only reason I would get out is to fill petrol and admire it from the outside.

There is no justice in this world.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 16:31   #126

Re: Mumbai Supercar Show on 22nd Jan 2012. Route Map, Supercars List and more

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2012 at 19:55.
alphavictor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th January 2012, 16:51   #127
Team-BHP Support

I don't think it is inferiority complex. It all amounts to "Ferrari hai toh kya hua, maine usko mere DZire mein liya". (Translated: What if he has a Ferrari, I beat him with my DZire).

It's a common occurence I have noticed, the shorter on power vehicles always try to keep up to the bigger ones and then brag no end about it. I remember people with Bajaj Pulsars, trying to race SBK's in traffic and then going ga-ga over it.

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2012 at 19:56. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted, hence removing
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 16:56   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I don't think it is inferiority complex. It all amounts to "Ferrari hai toh kya hua, maine usko mere DZire mein liya". (Translated: What if he has a Ferrari, I beat him with my DZire)..

You just hit the nail on the head....also many people dont exactly know what these super cars are capable (or for that matter even a 320d is capable of) and they try competing....there is only a very small limit to which a drivers skill can help.
Old 24th January 2012, 19:30   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post

You just hit the nail on the head....also many people dont exactly know what these super cars are capable (or for that matter even a 320d is capable of) and they try competing....there is only a very small limit to which a drivers skill can help.
@KSM-VTec - Thank you for kind words on the 320d It does give a run to most cars on Mumbai roads, some of the big boys included

What we witnessed was similar to the Arab spring in a very mild manner - more than 40-45% junta on the streets, especially the ones chasing are plainly frustrated on the growing inequality in our city - they were chasing cars because they could - people who couldnt chase, nevertheless, had the same feelings too.

Been driving a 320d since 2 years now. I have had not only kids but adults brushing past the car and scratching it with keys for no reason whatsoever; bikers and other cars getting dangerously close to either check or completely intimidate. 90pct of these stunts are to earn bragging rights, "aaj ek BMW to mast kata..." - hence the reaction of the junta is not surprising - one needs to be completely conscious while driving/parking these cars. Feel bad for the Maserati

I can only say one thing for the cars lying still. Thank God for the barricades. Nobody seemed to have a handle on the crowd management - it was appalling to see the supercars get out of the venue at a snails pace, dangerously close to the crowd on both sides - a simple rope held on both sides (like the Lucky junction at Bandra) could have done the trick. The guards were reacting only when GS himself was crying himself hoarse.

A good idea would be to charge an entry fee of INR 50 or INR 100 or even more (like the expos in BKC) to maintain the crowds and also hire an agency like TOPS (the owner can display him Hummer too) who are better experienced at managing such events. The current one was like a free for all, ram bharose..

But all is forgotten when you see the cars in all its glory - I am sure the SCC has incorporated the learnings and will keep improving the show format everytime.

Imagine if Sanjay Dutt was driving his Ferrarri (4545 if I am not mistaken) and not Sorabjee - all hell would have broken loose - we are more Bollywood crazy than car crazy
Old 24th January 2012, 19:31   #130
R.D

No need to make such a big deal about the Ford Focus, so what if GS said "throw this trash out"?? The car wasnt supposed to be in the line up, but decided to park in anyways. Not GS's fault, but the owners.
Old 24th January 2012, 19:39   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Feel sorry I missed this great event though a couple of T-BHPian friends did alert me in advance. Maybe next year.

Sad to say people in India have no respect for other people's property. From stealing logos off cars to scratching them with keys, the sort of petty crime that goes on in our cities is unbelievable. In a way am glad I missed the expo because I couldn't bear to watch those beauts getting damaged!

Awesome pictures and reports by all, though!
Old 24th January 2012, 19:43   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....there is only a very small limit to which a drivers skill can help.
Although you are right in a way, I don't completely agree with you.

Remember some years ago, Jeremy Clarkson drove a Jaguar S-Type Diesel around the Nurburgring and recorded a sub 10:00 minute (09:59) time around the track after being coached and guided and given several laps, and Sabine Schmitz (former German motor-sport driver) nearly beat his time in a Ford Transit Commercial Van, and recorded 10:08 in her first attempt.

A good driver behind the wheel of any lesser car, can easily take on and even beat a noob, behind the wheel of a much more powerful car.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2012 at 19:45.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 20:30   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307

Although you are right in a way, I don't completely agree with you.

Remember some years ago, Jeremy Clarkson drove a Jaguar S-Type Diesel around the Nurburgring and recorded a sub 10:00 minute (09:59) time around the track after being coached and guided and given several laps, and Sabine Schmitz (former German motor-sport driver) nearly beat his time in a Ford Transit Commercial Van, and recorded 10:08 in her first attempt.

A good driver behind the wheel of any lesser car, can easily take on and even beat a noob, behind the wheel of a much more powerful car.
You are right... But u know i am talking about in this context

Plus most of our super car owners are great drivers
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 20:52   #134
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Set 3.

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04982.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04983.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04994.jpg
see the slight dent.
Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04995.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04996.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04997.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc04999.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc05001.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc05002.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc05008.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc05022.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc05049.jpg

Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-dsc05050.jpg

Would like to thank GS & SCC for a great show! Can't wait for next year. But i guess in the coming months Cannonball is going to have a Mumbai run, but i doubt it will be on such a huge scale.
Quote:
....also many people dont exactly know what these super cars are
Some youngsters mistook certain exotics for an Enzo Ferrari & a Dodge Viper and were going gaga over it!

Last edited by PPS : 24th January 2012 at 20:54.
PPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 23:15   #135

Some cool pictures of Valentino Balboni with GS, during his visit to Mumbai for SuperCar Show!!!

VB with GS and Manoj Lulla on GS's yacht 'Ashena'!
Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-photo1.jpg

VB & GS... out for a spin!
Pictures: Mumbai Supercar Show & Drive 2012!-photo2.jpg
ThePhantom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed