Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 11:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Club Torque : Drive a Super Car in India *without* owning one

LOVELY idea, very creative of them!

but technically, if they are leasing cars, shouldn't they carry a yellow board?
Old 9th February 2012, 11:24   #17
BHPian

What's the legal status on the following points.
1) registration of the car. Yellow on black background number plates ? (self drive?)
2) In the event of an accident, whats' the situation ? who files the FIR ? who is responsible for damages, this is extremely relevant since white number plates (with black lettering) cars, (private/corporate registration) do not have the permission to be used as hire purchase/time share) cars.
3) If the car is stolen, whose onus is it ? who suffers the financial cost ?
4) At those prices even paying 5 lakhs is a bargain to have parts replaced.

Till the law is not very clear in both registration of cars & auto insurance there's a huge gray area without any indemnity on the part of the time/day share participant.

Do advise.

Regards
Old 9th February 2012, 11:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Excellent photographs Rehaan! Nice early morning photoshoot Club Torque is a really good initiative and it's good to see this concept coming to India. I feel the Club should add more supercars to justify the membership costs. And if I choose to drive the F430 always, I'll get only upto 30 days of "weekday" driving and 15 days for "weekend" driving with the Elite membership. Considering most of the members would go driving on weekends, I'm basically paying 15 lakhs for just 15 days with the F430, which I feel is quite a lot of money!! No wonder the R8 is a favorite pick amongst members here.
I know this is just the beginning but I hope to see more Lamborghinis being added in the future. Good luck!
I believe prospective customers would mostly be those who always travel on the back seat of their S-Class/7/A8
theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 11:31   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
but technically, if they are leasing cars, shouldn't they carry a yellow board?
Answered here >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• All cars are registered in the name of "Torque Lifestyle LLP". They have a master right-to-lease agreement, which allows members to lease the car for a short-term duration. Thus, each time that a car is taken out, a short-term lease is drawn. This ensures that the procedures are in compliance with all legal, RTO & insurance requirements.
^ This is similar to the way companies lease (white plate) cars to their employees.

Video coming up soon!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 12:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Some entrepreneurs might be able to write off the annual membership fee as an expense (for tax benefits).

This point is the killer one for me. Amazing VFM if its true!
Rehaan: do they accept memberships from nearby cities too? Not asking for myself unfortunately but a couple of friends here in Pune could be interested.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:33   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Is there any speed limit we need to follow.
Nothing is enforced, but responsible driving is expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
Interestingly, three years back I was talking to an investor on this concept , and I remember how numerous hours of presentations , meetings and brain storming yielded nothing from him.
The investor would have to be a car enthusiast, else they couldn't be bothered. I doubt Club Torque would have ever been possible without the infrastructural strength of Shaman (or any other large dealer network, whether of new cars or used).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The real estate goon types we see in Bangalore - top 2 buttons of shirt open, crooked yellow teeth, wearing gold necklace & rings - probably wouldn't make it to the club.
Unless the Minister is his brother . But then, he probably wouldn't pay either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I hope they are able to maintain quality - of their cars and members - the kind of indulgence they offer shouldn't be misused.
So true. I told them their no.1 challenge will be to keep the cars in top shape. Their reply was, there are two kinds of Supercar Club members:

1. Those who drive the Supercar very, very carefully because its owned by someone else.

2. Those who completely abuse the car because its owned by someone else.

No prizes for guessing what category they want on-board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
In the event of an accident, whats' the situation ? who files the FIR ? who is responsible for damages, this is extremely relevant since white number plates (with black lettering) cars,
Accident point already covered, please refer to my report. In a nutshell, you pay the deductible (total cost of repair LESS whatever insurance covers). Theft, I don't know, but I'd guess a Super Car, immobiliser & GPS tracking would be deterrent enough to any thief. These cars do have comprehensive insurance, so my guess would be the insurance deductible component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I feel the Club should add more supercars to justify the membership costs. And if I choose to drive the F430 always, I'll get only upto 30 days of "weekday" driving and 15 days for "weekend" driving with the Elite membership.
True. You are going to have to juggle between the cars to get the maximum number of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
This point is the killer one for me. Amazing VFM if its true!
You obviously know this, but just stating for the benefit of others : The net benefit is 30% (or whatever your tax slab is) of the amount you claim as an expense (and not 100%).

I'm certain they will accept memberships from Pune members, but there wouldn't be free pick up / drop off
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 13:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm certain they will accept memberships from Pune members, but there wouldn't be free pick up / drop off
Aww c'mon! Is this too much to ask for ?

An amazing deal for sure. I can certainly see many of the elite/upper middle class opting for this membership.

Only point being, how do they track who drives the car? Or is it on trust?
What happens when -

1. Say, a car breaks down. Do you get points back? Or do you get a replacement?

2. What if 97 Octane isnt abvailable in the area, you want to take the car to.

3. Can the points be carried forward (to, say the next year)?

4. Would love to see uber luxurious Rolls or Maybachs added to the fleet, for the seths to be rolled in.

Imagine arriving for a date/meeting in a 430! Talk about first impressions .
Old 9th February 2012, 13:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Awesome initiative!

My best wishes to Club Torque

I've seen a lot of such clubs abroad and always wondered the potential of such a club in India, where maintenance and depreciation are HUGE factors that keep away people from buying such automobiles. This is a safe bet.

I've seen a similar club in the US which provide many exclusive amenities to the members such as a golf course, lounge, bar, car gallery and even a private airstrip, all at their HQ. Ways ahead for Torque.

OT: I think the R8 was Audi India's Demo car, seen it on many occasions and testdrives.
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 13:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is a Very good Concept[as yet in India]. I will join this, but, will wait a few months for it to mature and settle in. They are in the process of adding cars, as suggested they must add a couple of Bentley's and RR's and Rangie's. The team at club Torque is very good and experienced, so am sure they will not end up with enrolling in Members who disrespect the cars!
Would suggest the minimum 3day lease to be reduced to 2 days for the exotics.
Old 9th February 2012, 13:35   #25
BHPian

Extremely interesting concept! Wishing the Club the very best and also hoping something like this comes up North. Would love to see opportunities to drive upto Shimla on the curvy roads
Old 9th February 2012, 13:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just a Q here: Will they be able to get the car imported for lesser duty? Like they import in the name of hotel and all?
Old 9th February 2012, 14:21   #27
Team-BHP Support

Driving video added to page 1 :

Even at city speeds, low gears and high revvs = tons of fun! I couldn't resist revving up the F430 at every stop light!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th February 2012 at 14:26.
Rehaan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 14:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread GTO. This surely is one of a kind. Instead of spending a couple of crores on one car, it makes sense to join these folks and sample various car's from their stable.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 14:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Excellent initiative and awesome news for car lovers like us. The sad part is they are based in Mumbai and hopefully will have some similar initiative in Bangalore sometime in future.

It does make business sense, how much of it is successful is yet to be seen. Although i wish they should succeed as this would mean driving such cars at mere 5L INR, the fun justifies the cost.
Old 9th February 2012, 14:56   #30
BHPian

The idea is very good, hope it goes on well so we can get to see more of them being used
The video is very well shot

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks