Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 15:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Club Torque : Drive a Super Car in India *without* owning one

Excellent initiative. Challenge will be to make sure the cars are maintained in top-notch condition and not abused (like most rentals are).

This is a very investment heavy business, do they have plans on purchasing used (but in excellent condition) cars to rent out? Some excellent deals around.

All said and done, being who I am, if I was able to comfortably allocate 15L a year I wouldn't take up the elite membership. I'd just save/invest for 5-6 years and purchase my own sports car (even if it is an entry level kind). As a true petrol head, I find half the fun of owning a car in maintaining it myself
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 16:02   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Say, a car breaks down. Do you get points back? Or do you get a replacement?
The guys seem to be reasonable and have done their homework. I'm pretty sure they'll come up with a solution that keeps the member happy in this situation. Remember, experience is everything and you want your customers to renew their membership every year.

Quote:
What if 97 Octane isnt abvailable in the area, you want to take the car to.
They are aware that they cannot control what grade of petrol a customer fills in the Porsche 911 (for instance). However, they are greatly relying on the community aspect and that members take care of the cars for other members (and thus, themselves).

To answer your question, if there isn't a choice (say, on the highway), I guess regular petrol. Club Torque should probably experiment with octane boosters.

Quote:
Can the points be carried forward (to, say the next year)?
Nope. They cannot.

P.S. : ARE YOU KIDDING!! I'd be worried about points lasting beyond 2 - 3 months for me, and not whether I have a backlog to carry forward

Quote:
Imagine arriving for a date/meeting in a 430! Talk about first impressions
There is a legal term for that = Misrepresentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05 View Post
Would love to see opportunities to drive upto Shimla on the curvy roads
Ah, I remember those roads from an official test drive. Boy, they are a petrolhead's dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Just a Q here: Will they be able to get the car imported for lesser duty? Like they import in the name of hotel and all?
That's a great suggestion, if they have a hotel or two in the business group. The scheme is called EPCG and we do have a dedicated thread on it (LINK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
do they have plans on purchasing used (but in excellent condition) cars to rent out?
Most (if not all) of the cars you see here have been bought used. The Ferrari F430, for example, was bought from a gentleman who only drove it for 500 kms.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 16:14   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Club Torque should probably experiment with octane boosters.
Or add a diesel to the fleet (Seriously though, 640d, or something from the new //M diesel line-up).

A related thread :
Octane Boosters - Do they really work?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 16:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Imagine arriving for a date/meeting in a 430! Talk about first impressions .
Quote:
There is a legal term for that = Misrepresentation
Think what will be the impression when someone tells her that "oh that car is a rented one"

Quote:
That's a great suggestion, if they have a hotel or two in the business group. The scheme is called EPCG and we do have a dedicated thread on it (LINK)
Oh yes i know the concept, but forgot the word "EPCG"
Old 9th February 2012, 16:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:

but won't that be illegal?
if you have imported a car in EPCG scheme for your hotel or resort - then it is strictly for that usage only. the cars are also registered under taxi quota - which means that the driver needs to have a professional licence and needs to be in uniform.

or am i misinformed?
Old 9th February 2012, 17:25   #36
BHPian

Excellent report and fantastic video.

Just wish they had a by-the-hour or by-the-day scheme and we would not have to pay so much.

What was the maximum speed you reached while driving and in which car ?
Old 9th February 2012, 18:10   #37
BHPian

Great write up GTO. Amazing concept and the right timing to launch in India. Supercars are difficult to enjoy on our roads and the Club should have included more details on track events in India and abroad. An association with Buddh Circuit like AMG's academy is needed. I'm sure, they would had several more people signing up for such a program.

I strongly believe as an auto enthusiast, these cars need to be enjoyed on the track and should not be used as a piece of "show" on our congested roads.

Now since we have an international standard racetrack n India, sport car manufacturers should start their driver programs like AMG's. God! Its just getting better for us auto enthusiasts in India.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:54   #38
BHPian

I told about this scheme to a friend of mine & he said contradicted to the schemes. this what is said:

Elite - 10000points and 80 days...
Sports - 5000points and 40days..

Comes to 125points/day

Which leaves you to take Z4 or Merc and that too just on weekdays..

Which defeats the points that:
1. Member will either be able to enjoy Allotted days with these 2cars..

2. Merc becomes one of the TWO options and maybe that is why it is a hit option amongst existing member (and maybe not bcoz it is so awesome)

Members will run out of points before they run out of days and that is something a member will have to be constantly aware of.

The chances are that most people would want to enjoy them on weekends and the pricing conveniently brings the days figure to half that way.

Time Share has always been a matter of regret. Does everyone agree with this analysis?
Old 9th February 2012, 20:33   #39

This is my dream come true. Now to work hard, save up more cash and drive the R8 and the 911 Turbo.
Old 9th February 2012, 21:00   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Driving video added to page 1 :

Even at city speeds, low gears and high revvs = tons of fun! I couldn't resist revving up the F430 at every stop light!

cya
R
- Did you have some kind of head-mounted camera? How did you get the inside cabin video?

- Keeping the camera outside the car, facing backwards was a good idea. When the Ferrari accelerated from standstill, the autos/cars behind you became a speck within 3 or 4 seconds. You probably hit 100 kph by then!

I always used to wonder what the acceleration fuss was all about - Laura 1.8 TSi hits 100kph in 8 seconds and these supercars hit that mark in 4 seconds. Well, now I know!

- How is the steering feel/feedback from the Audi & Porsche? The steering is supposed to inspire confidence at 300 kph. So how do they feel at 30 kph? Does it feel heavy at low speeds?

- Was there a "uh oh!" moment? Did you scrape the bottom or the bumper anywhere?
Old 9th February 2012, 21:07   #41

This is superb. In Chicago I know there is a club which offered driving experience to people for like 150$ or so (through coupons) on this nearby race track. I drove a f430 as part of this offer. It was truly an amazing experience . The cars that we drove were their old lot as I think they were upgrading their fleet.But still driving a ferrari on a track was an amazing experience. I hope even in India such clubs open and maybe one day they have such events. All the best to Club Torque
Old 9th February 2012, 21:31   #42
BHPian

I got sold out on two things in this thread-

1. The concept and the cars - the financials and the tax benefit will grab the attention of many. They have to be very very strict about who they give membership to. A screening and personal "interview" procedure should be in place. I won't be surprised if they check previous history of the potential customer (as a driver)

2. And the video shoot *drool* - I am sure a "How we shot the Club Torque Video" thread should be in place
Old 9th February 2012, 21:40   #43
Team-BHP Support

Wow, that was a very well-edited video with awesome natural sound effects!
Surely the Ferrari was the hero of the show with the Porsche doing a close sidekick. Rest of them was more like guest appearances

Great concept indeed. Any team-bhpians in the member list so far?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 23:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
but won't that be illegal?
if you have imported a car in EPCG scheme for your hotel or resort - then it is strictly for that usage only. the cars are also registered under taxi quota - which means that the driver needs to have a professional licence and needs to be in uniform.

or am i misinformed?
Yes, the vehicle under the excise/customs rebate policy (EPCG) for tourism purposes has to have a taxi registration (yellow with black lettering) and has to have a licensed driver (taxi license). Proof of this is when you see any five/four/three star hotel cars (they have their logo on the doors) are all in taxi registration.

A fellow tbhpian i think has a hotel and its very famous for its food, you could try asking him he's V-16 (that's his nick).

Any and sundry driver cannot drive it, Honestly i'd really hate to see a yellow number plate and number on the sides on a ferrari.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 9th February 2012 at 23:14.
Old 10th February 2012, 05:06   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant concept ! I always wondered why no body had started this in India already. If not for the love of cars, there are several who would simply join for the bragging rights in our status conscious society. However on the downside as this gets popular those kind of members would get filtered out as if they ever would land up buying a supercar people would still think its rented

Most Viewed