Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 23:50   #16
BHPian

re: Formula 1 Demo Drive in Trivandrum on 28th Aug. EDIT : Cancelled?

Manorama reports the event has been "postponed"; effectively cancelled, I guess.

Manorama Online | Malayalam News | Latest News |
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 13:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
If the F1 demo is banned
The F1 demo is not banned. The govt has not given final approval for the same - I think the law suit meant govt took its time to consider its legal options - so now they have run out of time. Since the govt has not granted permission for the event so far, the law suit will most probably be thrown out.

I read somewhere that it is well within the govt's rights to give one-time relaxation in rules for an event like the F1 demo. I think the speed limit is not the biggest hurdle. An F1 car is basically not street legal anywhere, so special permission is required anyway to run it on public roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Manorama reports the event has been "postponed"; effectively cancelled, I guess.
Since this event was planned with the support of the govt, I think it will take place. The new proposal is to hold it during "Grand Kerala Shopping Festival", which is held in Jan-Feb (F1 off-season).
Old 25th August 2012, 14:09   #18
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Sorry sir but i can't understand yor view point. Then someone please ban all tne films showing violence and immorality for sake of 'public concern'.
Street racing will take place irrespective of a demo drive or not, and am sure the city cops are doing their best to curb the menace.
The drive if done would have been entertainment for the public, not 'influence' them go street race.
Hope that something relating to motorsports takes place during the onam celeb.
Your analogy of violence in movies dont hold good here.Movies are seen only by those who take a ticket and see it ,or those who watch them on Television,it is a matter of choice.but here they are going to race at 300kph on a regular public carriageway . They could have done it in a race track or a open ground if they are particular about having a demo.
Regarding entertainement there is lot of'' entertainment '' as part of ONAM celebrations already being organised in Trivandrum
On another note,let me inform you that there are newspaper reports that this was being organised just to fill the pockets of a handful of people who are the organisers of the event.they had planned to collect sponsorship around a crore.
as the saying goes ''All is well that ends well''. the event has been cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The F1 demo is not banned. The govt has not given final approval for the same - I think the law suit meant govt took its time to consider its legal options - so now they have run out of time. Since the govt has not granted permission for the event so far, the law suit will most probably be thrown out.

I read somewhere that it is well within the govt's rights to give one-time relaxation in rules for an event like the F1 demo. I think the speed limit is not the biggest hurdle. An F1 car is basically not street legal anywhere, so special permission is required anyway to run it on public roads.

Since this event was planned with the support of the govt, I think it will take place. The new proposal is to hold it during "Grand Kerala Shopping Festival", which is held in Jan-Feb (F1 off-season).
Please avoid comments on pending law suits like '' be thrown outt''
That is for the honourable courts to decide. IMHOYou have no authority or right to make such statements

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2012 at 16:23. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
kishorelal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 14:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
That is for the honourable courts to decide. IMHOYou have no authority or right to make such statements
The govt has already informed the court that the event that the petitioner is opposing to has not been granted permission anyway. So what is left to do than it being dismissed (thrown out)?

Also, please note that the I didn't suggest that the law suit "should be thrown out" (which is for the court to decide). I have given my opinion on what's "probably" going to happen (given the govt's response to the court mentioned above) and I am well within my rights to do that.
Old 25th August 2012, 14:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Your analogy of violence in movies dont hold good here.Movies are seen only by those who take a ticket and see it ,or those who watch them on Television,it is a matter of choice.but here they are going to race at 300kph on a regular public carriageway . They could have done it in a race track or a open ground if they are particular about having a demo.
Regarding entertainement there is lot of'' entertainment '' as part of ONAM celebrations already being organised in Trivandrum
On another note,let me inform you that there are newspaper reports that this was being organised just to fill the pockets of a handful of people who are the organisers of the event.they had planned to collect sponsorship around a crore.
as the saying goes ''All is well that ends well''. the event has been cancelled
I think we are making too many assumptions here. The fact that we get to see a F1 car in our Kerala road and just to demonstrate what it feels like to see and hear it when it goes should be entertainment enough. Not necessarily going at 300 kmph as you said.
And in most countries, Singapore for example, the F1 race there are held on roads (which ofcourse have been modified to support the event), and there are no news about the public suddenly being 'influenced' by the event and killing/maiming others by over speeding after the F1 race. If there are idiots here who want to do that, they would go ahead regardless if they have seen or even heard of F1 in the first place.
And please, the whole idea of 'to fill the pockets of a handful of people who are the organisers of the event' is so silly. Anywhere here, they do that for every single event, so why criticize this in particular.

Quote:
I believe that is not what he meant and its a free forum, it would not be right on your part to judge anyone here on the forum.
Old 25th August 2012, 14:59   #21
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The govt has already informed the court that the event that the petitioner is opposing to has not been granted permission anyway. So what is left to do than it being dismissed (thrown out)?

Also, please note that the I didn't suggest that the law suit "should be thrown out" (which is for the court to decide). I have given my opinion on what's "probably" going to happen (given the govt's response to the court mentioned above) and I am well within my rights to do that.
You have used the correct term "'dismissed'' now only. The Honourable courts of India never "" throws out'' any petition which is filed before it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
I think we are making too many assumptions here. The fact that we get to see a F1 car in our Kerala road and just to demonstrate what it feels like to see and hear it when it goes should be entertainment enough. Not necessarily going at 300 kmph as you said.
And in most countries, Singapore for example, the F1 race there are held on roads (which ofcourse have been modified to support the event), and there are no news about the public suddenly being 'influenced' by the event and killing/maiming others by over speeding after the F1 race. If there are idiots here who want to do that, they would go ahead regardless if they have seen or even heard of F1 in the first place.
And please, the whole idea of 'to fill the pockets of a handful of people who are the organisers of the event' is so silly. Anywhere here, they do that for every single event, so why criticize this in particular.

I believe that is not what he meant and its a free forum, it would not be right on your part to judge anyone here on the forum.
If he has not meant that,well and good.Also I have not judged anyone on the forum and have no intention to do so also.I only pointed out the fallacy in his statement .
I have only quoted what majority of the newspapers have been reporting in the last few days
Why cannot we have the Demo at a ground/ race track? Why only in the busiest street in Trivandrum ?

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2012 at 16:20. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 25th August 2012, 15:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The Honourable courts of India never "" throws out'' any petition which is filed before it

Come on, they do it every now and then.

Supreme Court throws out petition challenging Vodafone tax order - The Times of India

The Telegraph:
SC throws out assets case against Mayawati, blasts CBI for singling her out

| Video | SC throws out PIL on Army chief's age row | India Videos | - India Today

To name a few.

Last edited by darklord : 25th August 2012 at 15:47.
darklord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 15:54   #23
BHPian

You are quoting the newspaper lingo,the correct legal term is ''dismissed'' .you can refer to any lawbook or ask any of your friends in the legal fraternity and then you will understand
Old 25th August 2012, 16:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If he has not meant that,well and good.Also I have not judged anyone on the forum and have no intention to do so also.I only pointed out the fallacy in his statement .
I have only quoted what majority of the newspapers have been reporting in the last few days
Why cannot we have the Demo at a ground/ race track? Why only in the busiest street in Trivandrum ?
fully with you Sir,
Cannot really understand why they cannot hold it in an appropriate place and avoid all these Controversies
Old 25th August 2012, 19:34   #25
BHPian

F1 cars are designed to run only on well maintained tarmac. There are no such grounds in Trivandrum that are well paved to accommodate a F1 car. So the only way left is to conduct the event in a closed street circuit. The youth in Kerala, especially at Trivandrum is still not ready to accept the broad term of motorsports. All they want is to witness the speed at which a F1 zooms off. They believe motorsport means driving like a maniac no matter whatever be its consequences.
I am sure that after witnessing such an event they would try to attain such speeds during the peak hours. I can't even imagine what would be the result. At the end of the day it's the pedestrians and other motorists who are going to suffer.

Speed thrills but kills, who knows it.

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 25th August 2012 at 19:35.
junaid12345678 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 13:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

HOLY MOLY!!!
Can't believe TBHPians themselves are having views against the demo drive.
And those who say that it should have been done in a closed circuit, where the #$% is a racetrack in Kerala. They were going to cordon off the road, not allow it on public roads with the traffic flowing.
And regarding the organisers getting their pockets filled with cash, THIS IS NOT COMMIE LAND , they are not stealing it from me, like the Govt. scandals does.
They give us entertainment, if it involves them getting money let it be. Atleast i get to see an F1 car howling through in my city roads, not some minister's son playboying with taxpayer's money.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 13:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are quoting the newspaper lingo,the correct legal term is ''dismissed'' .you can refer to any lawbook or ask any of your friends in the legal fraternity and then you will understand
I agree that the correct legal term is "dismissed", but as long as the court pulls up someone for using the term "thrown out" or T-BHP bans the term on this forum, I will continue to use it as I please.
Old 26th August 2012, 14:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
F1 cars are designed to run only on well maintained tarmac. There are no such grounds in Trivandrum that are well paved to accommodate a F1 car. So the only way left is to conduct the event in a closed street circuit. The youth in Kerala, especially at Trivandrum is still not ready to accept the broad term of motorsports. All they want is to witness the speed at which a F1 zooms off. They believe motorsport means driving like a maniac no matter whatever be its consequences.
I am sure that after witnessing such an event they would try to attain such speeds during the peak hours. I can't even imagine what would be the result. At the end of the day it's the pedestrians and other motorists who are going to suffer.

Speed thrills but kills, who knows it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
HOLY MOLY!!!
Can't believe TBHPians themselves are having views against the demo drive.
And those who say that it should have been done in a closed circuit, where the #$% is a racetrack in Kerala. They were going to cordon off the road, not allow it on public roads with the traffic flowing.
And regarding the organisers getting their pockets filled with cash,THIS IS NOT COMMIE LAND , they are not stealing it from me, like the Govt. scandals does.
They give us entertainment, if it involves them getting money let it be. Atleast i get to see an F1 car howling through in my city roads, not some minister's son playboying with taxpayer's money.
junaid, you are absolutely correct.these guys have no respect for other motorists
If there is no racetrack you can use a portion of the airstrip.(like they do for the airshow.)
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 13:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
junaid, you are absolutely correct.these guys have no respect for other motorists
If there is no racetrack you can use a portion of the airstrip.(like they do for the airshow.)
Haven't heard of the runway being used for motorsports and also i believe that the air traffic is dense enough not to allow the runway for any other usage.
AFAIK, there is nary an avenue for racing in the city except public grounds/maidans where they have the stunts and all.
Think the thread can be closed temporarily, as the event has been postponed for atleast 6months.
Old 28th August 2012, 15:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1 Demo Drive in Trivandrum on 28th Aug. EDIT : Cancelled?

It’s the a day before Thiruvonam,

Driving down the same road to office today, it was very disheartening so see it lying empty. If, only if, our country wasn’t filled with such imbeciles, we would’ve been cheering to the almighty roar of a Formula 1 car lapping the route. Sigh!
Scorcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed