Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 12:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)

What a gorgeous car! Envious of Mr. G.S. Forget owning a stock 458, he's gone two notches up in getting a 458 Challenge. Which probably costs about 50% more?

Hope we can see some vdo's? I assume, in-car would be quite difficult considering Mr. GS may not take anyone along for a hot lap.

Thank you Mr. GS for filling our eyes with candy!
Old 12th November 2012, 14:42   #77
Senior - BHPian

Temp thread so KBK can make an edit

Ok, so I'll answer some of the questions you guys have posted. I was at the track with Gautam along with a group of friends and support crew. The car is a 458 Challenge with the GTC spec aero pack including front splitter, flicks and rear wing. Support crew from one of the UK's biggest privateer race teams flew in to assist with preparation, maintenance etc.

A whole Tata 407's worth of support equipment was brought to track to ensure that no matter what was required it would be available, be it fuel, tyres, spares, extra body panels, the works. The entire operation was planned immaculately and everything was run in a completely professional manner.

The car runs on Pirelli P Zero racing slicks. The tyres were changed twice during the weekend. 100 octane race fuel is used and, if I'm not mistaken, over 350 litres of fuel was used (I can just hear the typical "kitna deti hai" question being asked!!) . The brake pads were also changed once.

Gautam ran about 175 laps over Saturday and Sunday and he most certainly did have us in-car with him for "hot laps". I had two stints in the car with him and must have had a total of around 20 "hot laps" in-car.

From starting cautiously to get familiarised with the car, Gautam's lap times consistently improved over the course of the weekend as he got used to the track and the car's performance and handling. By the end of the weekend his best lap time was over 12 seconds faster than any other non-F1 car has posted at BIC, which is pretty cool considering it was his first shakedown with the car.

As to the car's performance...I'm not sure I can accurately describe the experience, but the thing that struck me most was just how unbelievably stable the car is whilst cornering extremely hard and braking even harder. The carbon ceramic brakes haul the car down from over 250 Km/h within a few short meters, without any fuss, no drama and with absolute surety, lap after lap. The handling was neutral and sure-footed throughout the lap. The sound the car makes is absolutely wonderful and I think it's only gonna get better with time. Being the first weekend with the car, the rear wing was set to a higher downforce level this weekend.

As for Gautam's driving it was superlative throughout. He took his time getting familiar with the car and the track and then consistently went a second or two quicker with each stint as the weekend progressed. I'm sure that with further fine tuning of the car's aero and engine / exhaust systems his current best lap time will be further improved upon.

What was interesting was that despite not going much over 250 Km/h down the main straight at Buddh, the 458 Challenge was > 12 seconds a lap quicker than a Lamborghini Aventador that was definitely about 20-25 Km/h faster down the straight. So what the car loses in pure straight-line speed, it more than makes up for through each corner, especially the double-apex parabolic corner at the back end of BIC.

All-in-all, it was a thoroughly exhilarating experience just being a passenger in the right-hand seat, I can only imagine the thrill it was for Gautam. Big props to him and the team for a fantastic weekend's on-track action. Can't wait for the next track day!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 12th November 2012 at 16:40.
kbk_75 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 15:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pictures and short videos I took with my cell phone over the weekend. I know the team got some super photos and videos, including close-ups of the glowing carbon ceramic brakes and video of the 458 Challenge coming up behind the Lamborghini Aventador on the main straight...I'll leave them to upload those since I don't have them with me atm. Watch the videos on full 1080p resolution for best effect!

458 Challenge pit lane fly-by:

458 Challenge tiny in-car preview video:

Lamborghini Aventador, 458 Challenge, E93 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3 pit lane fly-by:

458 Challenge front 3/4 view
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-img_3587a.jpg

458 Challenge rear 3/4 view
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-img_3585a.jpg

Other cars in the pitlane at BIC on Sunday
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-img_3579a.jpg

NASA-style Race Control centre at BIC from where you can monitor the entire track. Each camera can be controlled from here, tilt, zoom, bearing, the works, it's a fantastic facility!
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-img_3574a.jpg

Last edited by kbk_75 : 12th November 2012 at 17:06.
kbk_75 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 16:59   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taronish_E View Post
As he gets more and more used to the car and the track he will keep going faster.

Dominator : We'd love to see something like a full overview of all the specifications on the car like what tires it runs, what wing angles and also the weight saving over a standard 458 Italia.
Oh Yes. He is getting faster by the second. Coming back to your questions - the Challenge with its Lexan kit and lighter body panels gives it a better power to weight ratio. In terms of the other changes - the F1 dual clutch gearbox has been calibered to give higher torque at lower revs, with better ratios and faster shifts. Pirelli 225-650R19 X 9 Front & 305 - 690 R 19 X 11 Rear tires ( Slicks ) with lowered height gives it a better track presence equipped with the Brembo CCM2 for super braking efficiency. Other features like F1 Trac TCS integrated with the E Diff for better stability and acceleration - into and out of corners, racing cockpit with Manettiono controls, racing fuel filler cap . In short, the cars capability far outweighs the features.
dominator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 19:18   #80
BHPian

Now those pics are truly drool worthy!! Thanks for posting!! What a beast!! Going by the words it seems like you're GS himself lol JK!! Gotta tell my uncle to call me whenever he go to meet him the next time
Old 12th November 2012, 22:37   #81
BHPian

Re: Temp thread so KBK can make an edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post

Gautam ran about 175 laps over Saturday and Sunday and he most certainly did have us in-car with him for "hot laps". I had two stints in the car with him and must have had a total of around 20 "hot laps" in-car.

What was interesting was that despite not going much over 250 Km/h down the main straight at Buddh, the 458 Challenge was > 12 seconds a lap quicker than a Lamborghini Aventador that was definitely about 20-25 Km/h faster down the straight. So what the car loses in pure straight-line speed, it more than makes up for through each corner, especially the double-apex parabolic corner at the back end of BIC.
20 laps in the hot seat should make you a very Hot Guy . I am sure the feeling is yet to sink in.
Without getting into a debate or going OT - Not undermining the Aventador's capabilities or getting into the Challenger's merit, the fact is - the driver and his skills is what ultimately decides the cars full potential. It was a true test for both , Man & Machine - and both came out triumphs. Considering he drove 184 Laps ( it was not 175 ) consumed 572 liters of petrol ( i second you on - Kitna Deta Hai ? ), did not put a wheel wrong, drove consistently over 2 days - BTW 184 laps converge into 3 F1 championship driving at BIC ( guess it is 60 laps @ BIC ? ) makes Mr. Singhania, the first non F1 Champion of India.

Last edited by dominator : 12th November 2012 at 22:54. Reason: correction
Old 13th November 2012, 13:35   #82
BHPian

KBK, some amazing videos you've posted there. Looking forward to a much more detailed videos in a few weeks.

My friends had come to BIC to photograph the car so I am looking forward to those images as well.

Kudos to GS for bringing this car down and then doing with it what needs to be done!!
Old 16th November 2012, 13:44   #83
BHPian

Some long shot pictures on the track
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6853.jpg  

Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6857.jpg  

dominator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 14:20   #84
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is GS is made of some different material!! Kudos to Him! This is Living Life the way Its meant to be Lived, Following his Dreams! His Father did wonders in Air, He plays it Safer if I may call so, doing wonders on land! Hats Off and a Salute to you Gautam!!!
Old 16th November 2012, 20:49   #85
BHPian

A weekend to remember. All involved had a fantastic time.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6840.jpg  

Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6832.jpg  

Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6856.jpg  

dominator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 21:22   #86
Senior - BHPian

Okay, I might sound foolish here. Was the car bought via the dealer or direct from Ferrari?

I’m aware the FXX, 599XX etc were not sold through dealers and was sold directly to *special* customers. I just wonder if it’s the same case with the Challenge cars as well.

Also, I have no clue how much such a track spec car with the full container of support equipments would cost. Just out of curiosity, a PM would do
Old 16th November 2012, 22:10   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Just out of curiosity, a PM would do
Curiosity killed the cat. Let the Prancing Horse rule.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6841.jpg  

Old 17th November 2012, 21:17   #88
BHPian

A few shots from the pits.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6848.jpg  

Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6821.jpg  

Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6830.jpg  

dominator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 22:30   #89
Senior - BHPian

Alright, now that's the bit I'm looking forward to, in the circle
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6830.jpg  

Scorcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 20:11   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Alright, now that's the bit I'm looking forward to, in the circle
Scorcher - the videos will follow soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6818.jpg  

Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6819.jpg  

Spotted at Bombay Cargo - Ferrari 458 Challenge (GT racecar)-dsc_6842.jpg  

dominator is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed